The Office.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RedrocksU2 said:

Guys, I agree with the above, this is not a competition on which one is better :huh:

I totally agree RR, there is no competition - the Brit version is clearly better:wink:

Actually I am yet to check out the American version, but I expect that since Ricky Gervais is exec. producer then it'll be pretty good.

Out of interest have you had Extras air over in the States yet? It is another comedy Gervais has written and quite alot of big names have been in it (Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet, Samuel L. Jackson). Not quite as funny as the Office, but the first episode with Ben Stiller in was hilarious.

Extras Quote:

Ben Stiller: "Who are you?"

Andy (Gervais' character): "Nobody"

Ben Stiller: "That's right. And who am I?"

Andy: "It's either Starsky or Hutch, I can never remember?"

Ben Stiller: "Was that supposed to be funny?"

Andy: "You tell me, you were in it."

:lol:

Extras! I almost forgot about that show. It's airred here... I think the second season was recently picked up by HBO :up:. Great show, though it's definitely not in the same league as The Office. I love Stephen Merchant as Ricky's sleazy agent. My favorite episode is the one with Patrick Stewart. The scene where he pitches his movie idea to Ricky is incredibly hilarious.

Extras was on HBO, and I'm still waiting for a DVD release date so I can watch it. Come on, DVD people! Set a date!

:mad:

And yeah, Steve Carrell was totally robbed at the Emmys, but eh, the Emmys are pretty ridiculous anyway. Alan Alda? another award for Will & Grace? In the words of Gob Bluth, "Oh, COME ON!"

it is a competition though , this is the best sitcom that has come out of britain since only fools and horses and is probs the smartest comedy in the world.

NONE OF THAT CRAP LAUGH TRACKS = for stupid people

British version is better though LOL

corianderstem said:
Extras was on HBO, and I'm still waiting for a DVD release date so I can watch it. Come on, DVD people! Set a date!

:mad:

And yeah, Steve Carrell was totally robbed at the Emmys, but eh, the Emmys are pretty ridiculous anyway. Alan Alda? another award for Will & Grace? In the words of Gob Bluth, "Oh, COME ON!"

and GOB ironically lost too. :grumpy:

The Emmys were a joke this year, with the exception of Kiefer, 24, and The Office winning.

next year, I hope Rainn Wilson / Dwight, and Mary Lynn Raskjub / Chloe from 24 are nominated for something, they deserve it.

corianderstem said:
US version of The Office has no laugh track.

:madspit:
Actually I kind of like the recent trend away from laugh tracks. Maybe becuase I love deadpan humor - the silence after one of Dwight's survival factoids is priceless.

I also love in the US office how they handled the episode with the stockroom guys.

corianderstem said:
US version of The Office has no laugh track.

:madspit:

didnt say it did was making a point about american comedy in general.

If ricky wasnt on the team i bet they would of added a laughter track.

Nah, I disagree. I think NBC learned their lesson with the complete disaster they made of Coupling and tried to stick close to the original format of the British version.

Plus, neither Arrested Development nor My Name Is Earl have laugh tracks, and they're two of the most acclaimed comedies on US TV right now (or was, in AD's case. Alas.).

I'd be curious to learn how much Ricky Gervais has a hand in as executive producer. Did he just lend his name to it to give it some cred, or is he very involved in the creative process?

I can't wait to see what he's going to do with the episode he's supposedly writing for the upcoming season!

Last edited:
OMG my name in is earl was lame , worst comedy ive seen in a while. Was stupid , america have created great sitcoms i.e fraiser and friends but my name is earl was stupid, it had no substance.

I think ricky just gave em some simple house rules to follow and the rest was up to them.

I think Earl is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I know a lot of people really dig it. Critics seem to like it, for what it's worth.

Anyway.

I'll just stick with enjoying both versions of The Office at my leisure. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I'd be curious to learn how much Ricky Gervais has a hand in as executive producer. Did he just lend his name to it to give it some cred, or is he very involved in the creative process?

I can't wait to see what he's going to do with the episode he's supposedly writing for the upcoming season!

I'm pretty sure it's the former. Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais had little to do with the creative process of the show beyond the first couple of season 1 episodes.

Oh, and I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a couple of the cast members from the UK series will be co-starring in an episode this season. I have no idea how respectable the source was though :shrug:

Queen Bee said:

I'm pretty sure it's the former. Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais had little to do with the creative process of the show beyond the first couple of season 1 episodes.

Oh, and I can't remember where I read it, but apparently a couple of the cast members from the UK series will be co-starring in an episode this season. I have no idea how respectable the source was though :shrug:

it probs be just the swindon lot...

Queen Bee said:

I heard that, too! I think it's going to be Mackenzie Crook and Martin Freeman, but I'm not sure if they're playing Gareth and Tim (respectively) or if they're just making cameos as random characters. I also heard Ricky and Stephen have written an episode for Season 3. I can't tell you how excited I am for that! lol

Queen Bee said:

I had heard that too, it was from Variety, EW, or E! or something.

I hope it's Mackenzie Crook and Martin Freeman as Gareth and Tim, that would make that Thursday night so complete.

I have a feeling the Gervais/Merchant penned episode will be the same one featuring UK characters....

RedrocksU2 is correct.

I looooooooooove a lack of a laugh track.

I was watching an early episode of Seinfeld last night, and the laugh track was way over the top. Less is more, people!

But I love laughing when the show tells me to laugh! :drool:

I think the lack of a laugh track will be a trend in the coming years, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom