The Octagon Bar: Laura Won't Go Down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat said:
Well she has nothing to do to occupy her mind, so she freaks out over the simplest stuff like raking the yard, putting dishes away, if she sees one speck of dust on the floor she gets out the broom and sweeps the whole downstairs. She's also taken to mocking my dad behind his back, and she walks around mumbling complaining about who knows what.
Oh dear. It sounds like she needs to implement Getting Things Done. I have recently started implementing the system and its starting to work quite well. However if she has no job or hobby of any sort, she defintely needs one.

That's just it, she doesn't have a job or hobby. During the governors campaign she did a lot so that kept her busy, now there's nothing, I can't imagine what she must be like when I'm not even home :coocoo:

Oh no, not life coaches :yikes:

I have to admit I have been getting a bit stir crazy, I have already acheived everything that I needed to get for the last 2 years except for a job.

U2democrat said:
Not particularly...she's become addicted to an "all my children" message board lately...it's very disturbing.

(all my children being the soap opera)
Oh dear, are you certain there is not any sort of goal she has maybe not discussed or mentioned? If money, time, location, and everything else were no object, what would she want to do?

Also is it possible she has depression?

She really has no goal. She'd like to go back to Europe one day but with a tuition being paid the money just isn't there. Maybe if she'd get a job...:mad:

Her: "But I have no skills!"
Me: "That's why they TRAIN you!!" :mad:

I'm hoping to get a job with the governor this summer.

U2democrat said:
She really has no goal. She'd like to go back to Europe one day but with a tuition being paid the money just isn't there. Maybe if she'd get a job...:mad:

Her: "But I have no skills!"
Me: "That's why they TRAIN you!!" :mad:

I'm hoping to get a job with the governor this summer.
Well getting a job sounds like the next logical step.

I reckon she is probably afraid. In order to get through it, you might have to guide her. It might help to simply write down on paper, "steps that Laura's Mom needs to take to get a job" and help her fill in what she needs to do.

U2democrat said:
My dad's the one who really ought to push her.
It could be a mother-daughter bonding experience. The trick is, you don't want to "push" her, but help her achieve what she wants. If you really don't want to do it, and your Dad really is going to push her to get a job, then its fine, but if your Dad really isn't going to do it, and your Mom just posts on boards and is that bored, then I think she'd appreciate it. All it takes is "Mom I want to help you try and get a job." :)

A_Wanderer said:
Oh no, not life coaches :yikes:

I have to admit I have been getting a bit stir crazy, I have already acheived everything that I needed to get for the last 2 years except for a job.
I was never big into life coaches, but read an article in the New York Times about "lifehackers" and this organizational system by the guy I linked to, and being the :nerd: I am, had to pick up the book and now I liked the system, so I've started slowly implementing parts of it into my life. It's interesting if you like to be organized, or want to become organized...

She might also be frustrated (if she realizes it) that she has turned exactly into the aspects of her mother which she always complained about...i.e. bullying. She always complained about her mother being a bully to her family members, and she bullies my dad and i all the time.

Im all for organisation, but I think that a lot of it is about disciplining yourself. Setting those goals that you must achieve and abstaining from certain things before they are acheived. It may be harsh at times but it is what has gotten me to where I am today. The final piece of the puzzle for me is getting a job, I have done everything I needed to do to get to this point (licence, passing my classes to get to the position I am now - now just need to get into honours, endurance - gaining the stamina to run for more than a mile, linguistics - picking up Russian one step at a time etc.). Just need to get a job though, I need the money, I need the self-respect.

Oh dear. Well I think if I have learned anything, is that it takes quite a bit for us to change ourselves, and a lot of times when we notice something about ourself we don't like, we can try and change it, but it isn't necesarily simple and easy to change mindsets and habits.

Really, you know your Mom best, and can probably tell what the best way to go about things will be, and you can best tell what's really wrong. The only thing I can do is offer advice on what I read, being there, and being her daughter, you already have an advantage. I am certain that no matter what, you are a good daughter, and no matter what she does, that your Mom loves you...:)

A_Wanderer said:
Im all for organisation, but I think that a lot of it is about disciplining yourself. Setting those goals that you must achieve and abstaining from certain things before they are acheived. It may be harsh at times but it is what has gotten me to where I am today. The final piece of the puzzle for me is getting a job, I have done everything I needed to do to get to this point (licence, passing my classes to get to the position I am now - now just need to get into honours, endurance - gaining the stamina to run for more than a mile, linguistics - picking up Russian one step at a time etc.). Just need to get a job though, I need the money, I need the self-respect.
You are quite right, that disciplining yourself is a large part of it. The system I linked to, is not necesarily one size fits all, and won't work for everyone, but it is merely another tool someone has provided for us to tackle life. Many people already have their system down, and are happy and don't need help, and I think that's great. To be honest, the thing I hated about elementary and middle school was how the teachers forced their organizational systems upon us. If people are not happy with the system they are using, it won't work for them, and it will just end up causing more problems in the end.

Nice advice Techie I'll definitely keep a lot of what you said in mind and put it to use :up:

Well I've been sick today and I barely slept last night so I'm gonna head out early. See y'all! :wave:

u2bonogirl said:
*hobbles up to the bar like an "old hag" and grabs a rum and coke*

Heres to you Dorthe :D

:D:up:

**Makes a round of r&c's for the girls, if anyone should drop in**

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom