The Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about those loverly sour cream glazed timbits :drool: and the chocolate glazed ones ... Do they still make the Canadian Maple doughnut. So sweet, so damn good!

There's still a bit of snow... a tinsy winsy bit out back. I imagine it will likely melt tomorrow.

GibsonGirl said:

nl_03.jpg

My favourite winter past-time! Playing hockey REALLY BADLY! This was taken two years ago. I still can't skate after five years of trying, but Newfoundland will make a Canadian out of me one of these days. :wink:

It will! You're doing a great job: hockey, the toque, and if I'm not mistaken, that's actually a beaver dam behind you in that pic. I think you're officially in the club. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Those pictures of Gros Morne are beautiful, AOD. :up: I've only seen the place in winter. Definitely need to see it during summer.

You have to, GG. It's truly spectacular in the spring, summer and fall when you can get closer to the amazing hiking trails and plant life. It's the kind of place that makes me proud to be from here.

Another one of those places is my hometown, Pasadena.

mystreetkk1.jpg

Speaking of winter, this is the winter view from the street where I grew up. I love St. John's, but in winter, my heart is in those hills.

These were taken very early in the morning a couple of years ago during Christmas vacation. Just a few days earlier, my best friend lost his father tragically, and I decided a good snowshoeing was in order. We went about halfway up the mountain in the first pic. Hard work!

firekw3.jpg

Me cooking something, along with my hands.

fort2004rv7.jpg

Me next to the log cabin my friend and his father built.

5nd0.jpg

Snow clinging to the trees.

The great part of the day was the finish: instead of snowshoeing back down, we hopped on a plastic slide (we called them Crazy Carpets as kids), and took off down an old snowmobile trail. We were going so fast, that I couldn't stop laughing; I felt like we were being transported into a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip at warp speed. It was one of those moments that can make winter a wonder.

After that, we defrosted at a nearby Irving and ate giant omelettes and drank copious amounts of coffee.

Oh, Canada. :drool:

angelordevil said:

The great part of the day was the finish: instead of snowshoeing back down, we hopped on a plastic slide (we called them Crazy Carpets as kids), and took off down an old snowmobile trail. We were going so fast, that I couldn't stop laughing; I felt like we were being transported into a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip at warp speed. It was one of those moments that can make winter a wonder.

After that, we defrosted at a nearby Irving and ate giant omelettes and drank copious amounts of coffee.

Oh, Canada. :drool:

Crazy Carpets! :love: I loved those as a kid! We lived at the top of a very large hill, and when it snowed in the winters we'd fly down that hill at warp speed! So much fun! I have a lot of great memories of snow in the winter as a child.

Smarties are Canadian?? :reject:
Well, they are my favourite chocolate "bar" (they're not exactly a bar!).

I love Canada, but I hate our winters :yuck:
I hope to move to Toronto soon - it will seem tropical after Ottawa!

Vintage Punk - yeah, the Timmy's here does that too. They give us extra cookies just before closing time :drool:

Who likes Ketchup chips? Who loved them as a kid?

Who likes Mr. Big bars and Caramilks?

And the old standby KD!!

Last edited:
ladywithspinninghead said:
Smarties are Canadian?? :reject:
Well, they are my favourite chocolate "bar" (they're not exactly a bar!).

I thought they were originally created in York in North Yorkshire, UK. Are you stealing my heritage?! :madwife:

:wink:

I'm actually not that keen on Smarties myself :reject: so feel free to claim them as Canadian if you want them!

M&Ms however... :drool:

My brother was planning on visiting Mighty Canada with his girlfriend next year but I think he's had to put that plan on the backburner for a bit now :( .

fah said:
Don't forget Aero chocolate bars :drool:

AND Canadian KitKats are way better than the American ones :yes:

Yes, I have heard that even products which we have in both Canada and the US have a different taste.

Oh, lest we forget our BEER!!!!!:drool:

DaveC said:
Krazy Karpets :up: :up: (gotta spell it with a K)

Irving :slant:

crazycarpetcanadiandesiuw8.jpg

:whistle:

"The Crazy carpet, now termed a “Wacky carpet” is manufactured and designed by the toy manufacturer H2O Recreation Inc. in Chomedey Quebec.

An inherent part of growing up in Canada the Wacky carpet has stood the test of time spanning generations of Canadians. The no frills design of the Wacky carpet is all part of it’s charm. A slick surface with handles pretty much sums it up. It’s lack of comfort and control are made up for in it’s unpredictability and shear speed which makes for a wild ride down the local toboggan hill.

Usually found tucked away in the clutter of Canadian garages and basements or left abandoned in the back yard the Wacky carpet would fit in well among the sleek, minimal designs of contemporary interiors, furniture and architecture.

Not recommended for those with sensitive arses."

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca

I love Canada, but I hate our winters :yuck:
I hope to move to Toronto soon - it will seem tropical after Ottawa!

:lol:

I hear Ottawa is freezing in the winter...I think winter in any city is a bit of a chore, compared to the rural places. You can maybe enjoy it more instead of just dealing with slush and asphalt.

I actually don't mind the snow as much as I do the cold--my ears weren't very happy today. :(

angelordevil said:

I actually don't mind the snow as much as I do the cold--my ears weren't very happy today. :(

Seriously! If I didn't have a hat on today, I think my ears would have fallen off while I was waiting for the bus (good ol' Metrobus, always late!) Wind + cold air = bad.

More great pics, by the way. :up: I still haven't attempted snowshoes. :My uncle (who always visits for Christmas) is wild about snowshoeing. I think it's the only reason why he bothers to fly here. :eyebrow:

RavenBlue said:
I still love ketchup chips... and dill pickle chips... and roast chicken chips :)

Mr.Big bars :drool:

Caramilk :drool:

Good 'ol KD.. I'm surprised I haven't turned orange for all the boxes of that I've eaten :wink:

Ketchup chips have always been icky to me. But dill pickle? :drool:

Smarties and Aero bars :drool: Sour Cream glazed timbits :drool:

I ate so much KD as a kid, it really doesn't appeal to me these days.

Beer? I'm a big fan of Heineken. :reject: But lacking that, I usually drink Sleeman's, which used to be a microbrewery in Guelph ON, but I heard that they've been sold to some conglomerate (foreign, I think) in the past year or so. :(

Winter? Hate. Hate. HATE. :mad:

GibsonGirl said:

Seriously! If I didn't have a hat on today, I think my ears would have fallen off while I was waiting for the bus (good ol' Metrobus, always late!) Wind + cold air = bad.

Waaah!!! :wink:

It is -24 here today and tomorrow and for the next week or so. With the windchill -39 and risk of frostbite.

GibsonGirl said:

:lol:

"You're taking it easy when you take the bus." I hope you have your M Card! Yeah, the bus is frustrating sometimes.

You should try snowshoeing! It's a lot of fun, and it adds an extra dimension to winter. You're uncle is smart! Most snowshoes are really lightweight these days, even though they can look awkward and clumsy. It's an amazing feeling when you're walking around (and sometimes running) on deep snow that would sink mere mortals in an instant. (Note: sometimes when you do attempt to run, you can easily fall on your face and also look like said mere mortal...not that I have experience in that or anything.)

Here's another pic from that trip...my friend illustrates his levitating power:

6ld5.jpg

trevster2k said:

It is -24 here today and tomorrow and for the next week or so. With the windchill -39 and risk of frostbite.

That's damn cold! See, Trev, we're just not used to that kind of cold here in Newfoundland (Canada's warmest province, with the warmest people). At one point on the weekend, it was 21 degrees and sunny in St. John's. :wink:

trevster2k said:
Who likes Ketchup chips? Who loved them as a kid?

Who likes Mr. Big bars and Caramilks?

And the old standby KD!!
Ketchup chips :drool:

This thread is making me hungry :angry:

GibsonGirl said:

More great pics, by the way. :up: I still haven't attempted snowshoes. :My uncle (who always visits for Christmas) is wild about snowshoeing. I think it's the only reason why he bothers to fly here. :eyebrow:

I lurve snowshoeing. It's so much fun, great exercise too. I actually kind of prefer it now to cross country skiing.

Alright it's finally at 0 constantly, time for some snow already. Time to do some winter stuff :drool:

10001551ta3.jpg

angelordevil said:

At one point on the weekend, it was 21 degrees and sunny in St. John's. :wink:

Wha?!? It wasn't even that nice when I was home for a week in August. :madspit:

Hey all I'm loving this thread! I'm from Montreal and I'm thinking of moving somewhere else. Does anybody know if it's really that much more expensive to live in Vancouver,Calgary or Toronto compared to Montreal? I believe rent here is way cheaper and so is the cost of living but, of course, I think the salaries are slightly lower here also.

trevster2k said:

It's THAT cold in B.C. right now?? :shocked:

We haven't even received snow yet, let alone temperatures below 4 degrees! It's been a balmy 9, 10 degrees all week!
Now this kind of winter I can handle!

Ketchup Chips AND smarties are both Canadian? I kid you not, but those are my favourite kind of chips and my fave kind of chocolate bar!

It's THAT cold in B.C. right now?? :shocked:

trev's in Northern BC. :D I'm in Vancouver, and today it's hovering around 6 degrees.

I'm not a fan of the ketchup chips, but a friend in high school ate them all the time. :yuck: Smarties are too candy-like for me, but I LOVE M&M's! :drool:

As for Canadian beer, I usually drink Sleeman's and Gastown Amber Ale from Granville Island. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom