Shuttlecock IV: The Doubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any source for the Love is Blindness thing? Just interesting, have never heard before that it had a connection to the Troubles. Always just thought it was a brilliantly caustic take on relationships.

Don't have time to find a source, but the whole "In a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love made complete" and "Love is clockworks, and cold steel, fingers too numb to feel, squeeze the handle, blow out the candle" gives me plenty of imagery of car bombs (associated a lot with the IRA), bomb making and terrorism that I doubt is coincidental.

But that was the beauty of those lyrics back in the day - you could interpret them in many different ways.

Anyways, in honor of a very good song that is The Troubles, I shall rank U2 songs that deal with the Troubles:

1. Love is Blindness (I always liked the intepretation that it's told from the perspective of an IRA bomber)
2. Please
3. Like a Song...
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. North and South of the River
6. The Troubles (what is ironic, and what I actually really like about the song, is that it isn't really about the conflict despite the title)

799. Raised by Wolves

Isn't Peace on Earth also about the Troubles? But let's forget about that. My list is almost the same as yours, just swap the order of The Troubles and NASOTR.

Any source for the Love is Blindness thing? Just interesting, have never heard before that it had a connection to the Troubles. Always just thought it was a brilliantly caustic take on relationships.

Friggin' Cobbler.

Wow, is that what North and South of the River is about? I always assumed it was a relationship song (Bono uses terms of affection like "darling" in the song, making it feel more romantic in nature), not a political piece. I can totally hear it though.

The lyric was co-written with Christy Moore, who is a POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL folk artist. So not really surprising.

This broken arm business reminds me of that clip in the Rattle and Hum outtakes when Bono goes to the hospital for a dislocated shoulder and can't remember his last name.

Bono was stabbed by a disgruntled former business associate in a dark corner of a nightclub. It's ok though, he had a vest on.

He was on a small plane that had a malfunction in which the cargo door fell off and all of the luggage fell out mid-flight, which some have reported as a "brush with death" (I know nothing about aviation so I don't know how dangerous this actually is). Then he broke his arm badly enough to require surgery after falling off a bicycle.

And this is the video from Rattle and Hum's outtakes of Bono after dislocating his shoulder. The part I referenced is at the very end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQ-J-JsmeU

He was on a small plane that had a malfunction in which the cargo door fell off and all of the luggage fell out mid-flight, which some have reported as a "brush with death" (I know nothing about aviation so I don't know how dangerous this actually is).
There was no danger to the passengers, cabin didn't lose pressure, flight was unaffected. A spokesperson said these type of things happen occasionally (like once annually) with small jets, the cargo hold is not pressureized so there is no danger to the flight only to those poor cows and sheep who got hit on the head with a plane door and several suitcases filled with sunglasses.

But the German livestock is stylin' now...

04132012_Cow_Sunglasses_article.jpg

It really happened. Slightly exaggerated in the press as a near-death experience, but it happened.

Back
Top Bottom