Revolver Upstairs, Chapel St, Prahran, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when I tell most people Wil is my favourite comedian ever and whenever people ask me for a tip on who to see and I say Wil they nearly always react like "oh yeah he's pretty funny I guess".

and the people who have actually gone to see his show after I've told them to come crawling over to me and tell me he blew them away and why didn't they see him sooner.

It's weird. I think we all have specific voices of comedy that we like; certain tones or topics that we seem drawn to. So people see a lot of comedians in five minute videos on YouTube and unless they hit on one of those points, they shrug and go "whatever." But when you go and see a person do their own 90 minute show with a certain trajectory, an arch which allows for builds and lulls opinions tend to change as a result.

I really like dark, bleak humour, but when a friend dragged me to a comedian whose show was called "Occupy White People" and focused mostly on race, I wasn't that impressed by the previews, but nearly died in the actual show itself.

what are you talking about? you did nothing of the sort mate. we should start our own unrequited love thread.

Talking about going "oh Pappy has unrequited love! Oh so do I!" and acting like an arsehole. Maybe I'm wrong though. That sounds like both a great idea and the most depressing thread idea ever.

Talking about going "oh Pappy has unrequited love! Oh so do I!" and acting like an arsehole. Maybe I'm wrong though. That sounds like both a great idea and the most depressing thread idea ever.

bro i would much rather have a conversation where other people bring up similar issues than a conversation where everyone talks about my (non-)issue. hearing about other people with similar problems is much better than me continuously whinging, so no apology necessary you couldn't be further from acting like an arsehole.

You know when you see a band playing a song, and you're drunk and in fucking tears by the end because you're thinking "why the FUCK do people not know this band?"

YES this kills me.

bro i would much rather have a conversation where other people bring up similar issues than a conversation where everyone talks about my (non-)issue. hearing about other people with similar problems is much better than me continuously whinging, so no apology necessary you couldn't be further from acting like an arsehole.

I suppose you're right. Empathy is a strong drug.

YES this kills me.

So I just finished watching the Silkworm documentary (yes, I'm obsessed) and now I'm thinking "this band should have been at least Pavement big if not massive" and just getting bummed out that people just...don't care? Because they're stuck in their own comfortable spheres of what music they like and don't like things with a bit of emotion or weird guitar parts or strange lyrical topics. Just because a band writes a song about the purging of the Warsaw ghettos from the perspective of Hitler, while sung by a Jew, does not mean the band is unlistenable.

(then again someone tried to turn me on again to Yeezus a couple of weeks ago and I'm just not into it, so that makes me a hypocrite?)

you don't like hip-hop though, do you? so that's understandable. post a silkworm song.

destroyer is the band that fits that bill for me. i think they're so amazing.

you don't like hip-hop though, do you? so that's understandable. post a silkworm song.

destroyer is the band that fits that bill for me. i think they're so amazing.

I'm not really into hip hop. I suppose I'm into instrumental music that could be classified as hip hop (bands like Tortoise and Blue Sky Black Death) but they lack a lot of the trappings of what you would call traditional hip hop.

Destroyer are a weird case for me; they have all of the elements that I SHOULD like in a band (the weird pop culture references, the synth poppy ambient darkness, the long sprawled out songs) but I've listened to Kaputt a number of times and just can't get into anything (aside from "Poor In Love"). Weird. Do they have better albums?

I hesitate to include just one Silkworm song because there's a lot of really weird aspects to their music; they covered The Comsat Angels and Fleetwood Mac on a double A-side, just to show their influences. And the multiple songwriters/vocalists have really different approaches, especially in the pre-Firewater four piece days where there were three really distinct approaches.

But. One song? Part of me wants to go with a "hit" like Couldn't You Wait or Into The Woods where the fans were always clamouring for it, but this song always sends chills through me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPTFes6C5_Y

like how good are these opening lines, what an allegory for a former love:

And I'm reminded of the time that I was blinded by the sun
It was a welcome a change
From the sight of you hanging like a willow off the arm of yet another visionary
Profitous east Van. punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBWg9HEomLs&feature=kp

Okay, I didn't think much of Destroyer before this, but I enjoyed the FUCK out of this

So real talk, I swear I won't talk about Silkworm again. If you're vaguely interested in checking out a great American rock band, download Libertine (pinnacle of four-piece Silkworm, one of the BEST flowing albums I've ever heard, has some of the best Joel Phelps songs on there), Firewater (beginning of the three piece Silkworm, eclectic as fuck, there should be at least one song on here you fucking love; Cannibal Cannibal, Quicksand and Nerves are alt-rock classics) or It'll Be Cool (last Silkworm album; eight songs, 35 minutes, a lot of weirdness, but the weirdness is really good! It also have one of the best subjects of a song ever; "Don't Look Back" is a song about songs called Don't Look Back. I just think that's brilliant. Shitty Little Yacht is also a great title for a song and SO DEPRESSING. GEEZ, ANDY.)

Also, if you don't listen to Silkworm, god hates you and you're an asshole.

(quote from the Silkworm documentary. it's true, though.)

I listened to Firewater a year or two ago. It was OK but clearly didn't do much for me since I only returned to it once or twice.

I'm doing a thesis, and if I could have a Memory Studies department in Australia I'd be there rather than in History. I fear I'm going to fail out just because I'm actually pushing at what the discipline does. Because of academic conservatism.

Eh, there are so many people around me doing incoherent wank and pointless shit that I don't think you have anything to worry about, given your previous descriptions sounded focused.

8th straight year I've seen Wil's MICF show and he still gets better every year. Unbelievable. 5 stars, again.

I definitely need to go this year.

Okay, I didn't think much of Destroyer before this, but I enjoyed the FUCK out of this

Yeah it's a great song. It's from the album Rubies and if you liked it you should definitely check the album out. It's got more of a rock sound than the 80s bass and horns of Kaputt. Most Destroyer fans would rate Rubies their best, and it's phenomenal, I just fell in love with Kaputt first.

My favourite song from Rubies (and probably my favourite Destroyer song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PPNjWaSEdc

Good work, your star's rising.

Shame Julius Vogel is a bit too dead to share my stuff.

That said, I do like that all of my subjects are dead, and my subjects' children are dead, and my subjects' children's children are dead, and probably my subjects' children's children's children too. Certainly nobody who's ever actually met them or remembers them. I can be as blunt and as ruthlessly honest as I like and there's nobody around to take offence, but it's modern enough to be familiar, relevant, and still influential. Nineteenth century = best century.

Yeah, that's one thing that kind of irritates me and kind of makes what history I write strange. 70s Ireland still being in living memory means I can actually draw new evidence from the testimonies and reactions of people who experienced those events, but the ethics of actually delving into this stuff and the possibility that it still hurts people is a touch troubling.

Also, RUSSIAN HISTORY IS BEST HISTORY

New Zealand history > any other history.

I'm sorry but it's just a fact.

:up:

I met a girl there last Easter. I was on ecstasy and she was wearing bunny ears. So I went up to her and started talking to her. It was about midnight and she had been there since midday. She had a backpack, in which she had a shitload of muesli bars. Every few hours she'd sit down, have a glass of water, a couple of muesli bars, and then take another pill and keep dancing. When I left at 430 she was still there. It's a beautiful story.

Title track was self-indulgent. That's not a bad thing! The sections could have used a little editing and it might have been better as like a six or seven minute song (especially with the breakdown at the end) but I enjoyed it!

Your Blood is just sunny, sunny pop.

Back
Top Bottom