Random Music Talk XXIV: Where there's CLICK!ing and NASH!ing of teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some days I think the band never topped this. It sounds like it could be from the classic peak Stones period of '68-72.

And it's probably better than Aerosmith's entire career.

Oh, and also, it's was written solely by Izzy.

Izzy is underrated, for sure. Talented songwriter.

And Patience is gorgeous. Yeah, Izzy wrote it, but you also gotta give Axl credit for selling it and nailing the vocal.

Here's something that you can settle, maybe.

For years I've always thought that at the end (right near the 5:00 mark) he's saying:

I been walkin this pier tonight
Just tryin to get it right...

But all the lyric sites out there are saying it's:

I've been walkin the streets at night

Damn.

I like "this pier" better. I think it's a better image. And of course there are a bunch of piers in Southern California. So it makes sense.

Oh well, I guess I've just been singing one of my favorite parts to the song incorrectly for like 9 years.

listening to trash being compacted in a trash compactor=better than aerosmith's career.

Izzy is underrated, for sure. Talented songwriter.

And Patience is gorgeous. Yeah, Izzy wrote it, but you also gotta give Axl credit for selling it and nailing the vocal.

Here's something that you can settle, maybe.

For years I've always thought that at the end (right near the 5:00 mark) he's saying:

I been walkin this pier tonight
Just tryin to get it right...

But all the lyric sites out there are saying it's:

I've been walkin the streets at night

Damn.

I like "this pier" better. I think it's a better image. And of course there are a bunch of piers in Southern California. So it makes sense.

Oh well, I guess I've just been singing one of my favorite parts to the song incorrectly for like 9 years.

I always knew it was "streets". Not sure how you can confuse an "eets" sound with an "eer" one.

But you're right about the vocal. It's one of Axl's best.

listening to trash being compacted in a trash compactor=better than aerosmith's career.

Well-said.

Hearing a crow being compacted in a trash compactor = listening to Axl Rose sing. Thankfully, Slash exists. He always had one of my favorite guitar tones.

I think in his prime he was one of the best frontmen ever.

Now he's a foam-injected embarrassment.

Disagree here. Pump and Get A Grip are good albums (and Toys In The Attic too, apparently, though I don't have that one). But yeah, there are quite a few periods where the Toxic Twins were really out of it.

I'm bored and am on Wikipedia looking at these guys. Look at their fucking debut album cover:

aerosmith-530-85.jpg

Holy hell, that's terrible. Everything about it. Wow.

LOL at Pump and Get a Grip. Any rock band that has to hire "hitmaker" songwriters like Desmond Child and Diane Warren has no credibility.

Aersomith post-drugs are a fucking joke.

Bar has played "Heartbeats," Best Coast's "Boyfriend," and "Bloodbuzz" all in a row. Success!

edit: zomg "Sprawl II" next

Not really. I can't make a fool out if myself since I'm here every Thursday, get special treatment, and would like to bang the waitress we always have. "Sprawl II" wasn't a new thing for here (lots of AF, including "We Used to Wait" as I type this) but never any Nash or Besty or Knife.

None of this compares to the time they played "Maps" and "Wolf Like Me" in a strip club.

I wouldn't have been able to resist climbing over tables and chairs a la Matt himself when Bloodbuzz Scumbo came on, particularly if I'd had a few.

both those songs make me fantasize about puncturing my eardrums with sharpened chopsticks. fortunately the button to change the radio has always been a lot closer than such makeshift weapons.

Dream On's the only Aerosmith song I've ever remotely liked, and I think that's mostly because I thought it was cool when it was in Miracle.

"Mysterious Plays" now. Think I'm gonna climb on some shit and sing the cockified lyrics.

Aerosmith is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I like a fair amount of their songs, especially their version of "Train Kept a-Rollin'." "Last Child" and "Back in the Saddle" are also solid tracks. But "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" is one of the most insufferable songs of my lifetime.

I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for "Walk This Way", 'cause I used to see the video for it all the time on MTV when I was little and I loved that song back then. "Dream On" is good, too.

i liked that song a lot when i was a kid and refused to listen to anything other than the oldies station. i did not like henry the 8th.

Cool. I do sorta understand about "Henry the 8th", too, yes, that's an...interesting song.

I listen to our local oldies station a lot here when I do turn on the radio. It's the only one that's likely to play a good deal of stuff I actually like (though our classic rock one isn't too bad, either).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom