Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it a lot, but I think a few songs on it out weigh the rest of the album by a wide margin.

Am I the only person who doesn't use the Interference app?

I prefer to navigate via Safari like I do at home.

I have the app, but don't use it. I do all my Interferencing on my laptop. It's way better. Like peef said, I'm not a big fan of typing on my phone.

I hate Christmas shopping. I'm so bad at getting gifts for people. But mostly because it shows you how shit humanity can be. Was in Myer today, I think the biggest store in the city. Jumped in the elevator on level 6 when I was leaving. We got to level 2, door opened, and a woman with a pram was trying to get in. There was plenty of room, but this absolute bitch next to me says to her "you won't fit" in a really aggravated, condescending tone, to a few grunts of agreeance from other people in the lift. The woman said "I've been waiting here 10 minutes, if I can just--" "you won't fit". So I calmly and jovially said "yep you'll fit, plenty of room, plenty of room" and helped her in. Literally five seconds later we all got out of the elevator on the ground floor. What the fuck is wrong with some people? Two fucking floors, yes, it was slightly cramped, but there was still room, and it was five fucking seconds until we all got out! I walked off so annoyed at this woman. Xmas time can be a stressful, but jesus fucking christ, how could you possibly have had a shit enough day that you can't let a woman with a pram in an elevator for five fucking seconds?

Pitchfork's "honourable mention" albums list is out today.

Third one down? Push The Sky Away. Ughhh this forum is gonna be like the only place it gets the recognition it deserves.

The Terror is in there as well.

Good to see some recognition for Thundercat, Tim Hecker and James Holden though.

44 for JT is cool, loved that first record. 43 for Trouble Will Find Me is really disappointing, mostly because everything I've read online about can't seem to resist subtle jabs about how it's not a surprising album, or that they're uncool, or whatever. ASAP Rocky is way overrated at 39. Great to see Jon Hopkins at 37 and DJ Koze at 32, Run the Jewels at 28, James Blake at 25, Drake not in the top 10, the run from 13 to 9, and Disclosure in the top three. Bummer about Vampire Weekend, but that's just my take. And I guess they really dug Random Access Memories!

I hate Christmas shopping. I'm so bad at getting gifts for people. But mostly because it shows you how shit humanity can be. Was in Myer today, I think the biggest store in the city. Jumped in the elevator on level 6 when I was leaving. We got to level 2, door opened, and a woman with a pram was trying to get in. There was plenty of room, but this absolute bitch next to me says to her "you won't fit" in a really aggravated, condescending tone, to a few grunts of agreeance from other people in the lift. The woman said "I've been waiting here 10 minutes, if I can just--" "you won't fit". So I calmly and jovially said "yep you'll fit, plenty of room, plenty of room" and helped her in. Literally five seconds later we all got out of the elevator on the ground floor. What the fuck is wrong with some people? Two fucking floors, yes, it was slightly cramped, but there was still room, and it was five fucking seconds until we all got out! I walked off so annoyed at this woman. Xmas time can be a stressful, but jesus fucking christ, how could you possibly have had a shit enough day that you can't let a woman with a pram in an elevator for five fucking seconds?

You're young. Use the stairs next time.

That P4k list was really predictable. On first glance, I've heard 49/50 albums on there. The main reason I read lists like that is for recommendations, so it's kind of a fail.

Considering the 9.2 they gave Reflektor, that spot is hilariously low. Whoever reviewed it must have gone rogue.

Last edited:
Pitchfork's "honourable mention" albums list is out today.

Third one down? Push The Sky Away. Ughhh this forum is gonna be like the only place it gets the recognition it deserves.

Don't worry. It was voted best album of 2013 by Dutch critics.
(It's #4 on my personal list, but when compiling that one each one of my top 4 albums was considered my favourite at one point)

Regarding the app, I've been using it on phone and iPad for about a year now, so minor issues aside (most of which I attribute to the fact that I'm on a phone and touch screens, rather than the app as I've had none of the issues 212er has), I'm not updating it cos I'm used to how it was.

IWB, did I recall you asking about the Les Miserables movie in the last thread?

If you're a fan of the musical, it's worth checking out. It's got its ups and downs. Russell Crowe had no business being there, and Hugh Jackman was a slight disappointment for me, but overall I really enjoyed it. (But bear in mind I also really enjoyed the movie version of The Phantom of the Opera, which had a bunch of big faults.)

And was of course a sobbing mess at the end.

Yeah, that was me. For whatever bizarre reason, it's one of about 4 or 5 musicals I really like. I've just been put off by the whole not pre-recorded singing gimmick/all the horrid missed notes that are supposedly rampant throughout it (and as much as I love Hugh Jackman, I've seen the clip of him barely reaching half the notes in "bring him home" and definitely did not love that ).

Yeah, that was me. For whatever bizarre reason, it's one of about 4 or 5 musicals I really like. I've just been put off by the whole not pre-recorded singing gimmick/all the horrid missed notes that are supposedly rampant throughout it (and as much as I love Hugh Jackman, I've seen the clip of him barely reaching half the notes in "bring him home" and definitely did not love that ).

That is BY FAR the lowest point of his performance. It did not work at all. He sounds strained the entire time. I was sooooo bummed about that. Like they couldn't have just lowered the song even a half step? Fast-forward through that part.

On the plus side, the highest point of his performance is the beginning when he's singing his soliloquy (sp?) that ends with "... Jean Valjean is nothing now, a new story must begin" - that whole scene is really great.

I can't say I really noticed a lot of missed notes. Even Russell Crowe can't be faulted pitch-wise. I think the tone of his voice is just awful. It's not that he can't sing, it's just that he was all wrong for such an important role.

I put in requests to hopefully get to review these shows next year:

St Vincent
Neil Finn
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Lady Gaga

And then last night I saw (RuPaul's Drag Race winner) Jinkx Monsoon in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It. Was. Awesome.

For what it's worth, Milk Bar is godly. I guess that makes it okay.

I just want to say that few references from this board have made me happier than when I first heard Los Campesinos! on a Budweiser commercial. Irony is so rarely that decadent.

Fire up the ole Lazarus Double Standard Signal:

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks Get "Cinnamon and Lesbians" Ice Cream Flavor From Momofuku Milk Bar | News | Pitchfork

It's not coffee and it's not Jeff Tweedy so I'm sure it's fine.

That's lame, but let's stop the revisionist history; making fun of Wilco because of the coffee was just a follow-up to their main infraction: Taking a paycheck from a giant corporation when they were already a legitimately successful band playing large venues.

If you're just trying to get mileage out of a cheap joke, so be it. But downtown act like there has never been nuance or varying degrees to my position.

I just want to say that few references from this board have made me happier than when I first heard Los Campesinos! on a Budweiser commercial. Irony is so rarely that decadent.

Is this another pot shot at me? Not really clear from the way you worded that. Personally I thought it was great that an unknown band got an offer like that, and more power to them. My issue has always been with big bands taking the money, not the new ones who don't have a dime or a reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom