Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't serious. I was thinking about how many goddam countdowns I listened to that always ALWAYS ended with Stairway to Heaven as the number song. In any year. In all the years.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I heard Green Day's Blvd of Broken Dreams this after noon on Southern California classic rock station K-Earth 101. That was weird.

Yeah, the song is only 12 years old, it was weird. Most classic stations here play 90s stuff so it's odd hearing songs from the 00's already being added to daily playlists. Southern California rock radio is pretty horrible anyway.

When my dad worked in radio I remember him saying that according to the higher ups/programming heads/whomever, a song was considered "classic" after ten years. I don't know if that was the definition across the board for ALL radio stations in the country or just the ones he worked at, though.

As far as I can tell, most of the 'classic hits' stations here in Australia lost their taste organs somewhere around 1980. You'll hear some - some, I say - good 60s and 70s stuff, but by the time you get to the 90s, it's fucking dire. The advent of punk and everything that flowed even indirectly from that seems to be the cutoff.

Last edited:
Cobbler: Dungen is playing Melbourne in December. Get on it.

Tame Impala rip off? No thanks.

As far as I can tell, most of the 'classic hits' stations here in Australia lost their taste organs somewhere around 1980. You'll hear some - some, I say - good 60s and 70s stuff, but by the time you get to the 90s, it's fucking dire. The advent of punk and everything that flowed even indirectly from that seems to be the cutoff.

I'd dispute this. I was at a restaurant last night and they must have had Gold104 on and they played six or seven songs in a row, all from the 60s, 70s or 80s, and it was borderline insufferable.

There was a LOT of bad music released in those decades, contrary to popular belief.

Really proud of the Deap Vally girls, who scored the front cover of the LA Weekly (Los Angeles's biggest free newspaper, owned by the same company who puts out NYC's Village Voice).

Deap Vally Are Feminists. Also, They Will Rock Your Face Off | L.A. Weekly

DEAP-VALLY-COVER.jpg

Tame Impala rip off? No thanks.

I'd dispute this. I was at a restaurant last night and they must have had Gold104 on and they played six or seven songs in a row, all from the 60s, 70s or 80s, and it was borderline insufferable.

There was a LOT of bad music released in those decades, contrary to popular belief.

Oh I KNOW IT, I know there was a lot of bad music in those decades, when I was at university a long time ago, all I could get on my shitty radio was the local oldies' station. And sure, you'd see something like 'Heroes' or mid-period Fleetwood Mac show up, but you'd also get Daddy Cool, Skyhooks and Stuck In The Middle With You.

I guess I was trying to think of what the likes of your more modern-oriented FM type stations did - Triple M or whoever - but honestly, I'm bullshitting. I don't listen to any of them.

Bring some CDs.

Although Ashley might know of one.

That bad?
Haven't been out there since the 90's, think we mostly listened to K Rock that trip if memory serves. But over the past 2 decades radio everywhere has suffered. Maybe I'll get lucky and the rental will have satellite.

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

A quick run through the radio band here in the valley:

88.1 - jazz, really good station to chill to when driving at night
88.5 - CSUN's radio station. Great indie rock and deep cuts.
93.1 - Jack FM, every area has this. Catch-all station.
92.3 - Power 92, modern hip hop
93.5- KDAY, old school hip hop, fantastic station
94.7 - soul, R&B
95.5 - classic rock
98.7 - alt rock, definitely better than KROQ
100.3 - more classic rock
101.1 - still classic rock
104.3 - My FM, mostly top 40 pop
106.7 - KROQ

You won't get all of these but a few you will.

Last edited:
My mom and I still listen to the radio on occasion, because our car doesn't have a CD player in it, and then the radio's on at both of our workplaces.

At least my mom gets to change the station from time to time at where she works, though. The place I work, aside from last week when they flipped to the local top 40 station for a few days, has had the radio tuned to our local country station. And not the good kind of country music, either.

Back
Top Bottom