Random Music Talk CVIII: Enhanced with a string section...maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the important subject of beer,

I recently read an article about the ongoing legal battles between Anheuser-Busch and the small Czech brewery, Budějovický Budvar. The Czech brewery claims to own the original copyright on the Budweiser name, and have actually won the right to market their pilsner as Budweiser in several European countries.

Their beer is marketed as Czechvar in the U.S. It's carried by Total Wine in Seattle, so I picked up a few bottles. The pilsner, honestly, isn't a whole lot better than regular Budweiser. The dark lager is considerably better, but probably not something I would go out of my way to buy again.

As far as IPAs are concerned, I do like them. There's a local brewery near my house (their marketing director lives right up the street from me) called 7 Seas Brewing that I try to support. Their double IPA is pretty yummy but two of them will knock you on your ass. My go-to beer is Mac & Jack's African Amber. It's a Seattle beer that is only available on tap, but there's a few local convenience stores where I can fill a growler. For just a light, refreshing lager, the new Guinness Blonde American Lager is pretty tasty. Reminds me a bit of Yuengling, which I have not been able to find on the West Coast.

I'm so late to drinking that I've never had any "major" name brand beer. Ima beer hipster, or something.

What?! I'm... Disturbed by that information... Re: Seattle's Best

Yep, they were acquired along with Torrefazione Italia (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong; it was a smallish chain).

I don't think there are many Seattle's Best stores still around, but they have a great grocery store line, which I believe was the point of the acquisition.

A good friend of mine from college is the company manager for the current touring production of Phantom of the Opera, so I got (awesome) free tickets to see it today. It was super fun. And got a backstage tour, which was extra nifty.

I love having friends with cool jobs where you get to reap the occasional perks.

I don't think there are many Seattle's Best stores still around, but they have a great grocery store line, which I believe was the point of the acquisition.

There is a Seattle's Best Coffee attached to America's Credit Union by Madigan Army Hospital, and there's still one at Sea-Tac airport as well. I guess their employees don't get very good human resources support since you don't even know they exist. :angry:

If they are inside another location, like the airport, they are technically not Starbucks employees, but employees of the company that operates all the airport restaurants and such. ;)

If I ever leave the east coast/northeast, lack of Dunkin may be one of the more serious obstacles to overcome.

There's like one here now, so that's nice, but the fact is there are a TRILLION (literally) donut shops out here, so I will live with out DD.

There's like one here now, so that's nice, but the fact is there are a TRILLION (literally) donut shops out here, so I will live with out DD.

Don't care about donuts. I eat maybe 2 or 3 donuts a year. I just don't like what happens when I walk into a Starbucks and try to order an extra large black coffee.

What? Does that happen? Did I miss a running joke here, or conversation from earlier in this thread about that?

I just don't like paying 4 bucks for a burnt version of what I get for 2.50 (and usually isn't burnt) at Dunkin Donuts. Nor do I like having to say the word "venti," or the way they act as if it's the only way to order the biggest cup of coffee they have.

Oh fuck, the thought of trying to explain it exhausts me. Google up "Starbucks Race Together" and enjoy.

It did not last long. Surprise!

Haha, ok.

Random coffee talk.

The Briggs are still a band and have a new EP out that I can only hope is half as good as Leaving the Ways (it won't be, that's one of the best EPs in all of punk rock).

Some people just walked by me (im at work) walking their cat on a leash. The cat looked surprisingly ok with it.

I kind of wished I hadn't actually googled that. I've got a giant book here on the history of the Balkans that's suddenly way more interesting.

We have Dunkin in Utah too. There is one five minutes from my office.

Also there are four or five Starbucks being built right now...all at the same time. (We haven't had many in the past) Utah is kind of the last frontier for coffee franchising I suppose.

I've lived in Melbourne long enough to be surprised that people elsewhere buy their coffee from chains rather than, well, actual cafes.

Where's Cobbler to back me up.

What percentage of the population do you figure are prohibited from drinking caffeine?

Utah's about 60% Mormon, and maybe 3/4 choose not to drink coffee?

So like 40% total? Mofo could probably chime in on this.

Its a weird/absurd rule, I know.

Hate coffee, but yeah, regular Melbourne coffee drinkers don't buy from chains.

I recently bought chocolate-coated coffee beans from Haigh's though. LOVE them.

I've lived in Melbourne long enough to be surprised that people elsewhere buy their coffee from chains rather than, well, actual cafes.

Where's Cobbler to back me up.

People who buy coffee from chains are considered to be at least two social rungs below people who talk to themselves on trains/trams in Melbourne. Fact.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I hate the non-chain coffee places. Every time I go into one it seems like the baristas are judging me.

We don't have many non-chain coffee places in anywhere I've ever lived. There's one or two in Amherst (I think two now, but one when I lived there) which I always avoided like the plague because there people who get coffee at coffee shops are a bunch of patchouli stinking, vegan sandal wearing, hippie douchebags. I have enough trouble ordering a coffee at Starbucks, I definitely don't speak those people's language.

7-11 coffee is great if you like your coffee aged in the pot for 7 or 8 hours before you drink it. Blech.

That's another thing - you couldn't find pot coffee if you searched for weeks here. Even the dodgiest bars, eateries, whatever all have espresso-based coffee

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom