Official Cricket 11/12 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The W'Indies better beat England.. It would be good for cricket if the hosts, Bangladesh, deservedly qualify for the QF's.

If only the Dutch could have just managed the win against the Poms

Group B is interesting.

If England lose to West Indies, Bangladesh,India,WI & South Africa qualify

If England wins...all other combinations ( with only south africa confirmed) is possible.

How can England lose quarterfinal berth
----------------------------------------
a) Lose to WI
OR
b) Win over westindies, Bangladesh win over SA, India lose to WI and still maintain better run rate than England. ( India shd have better run rate unless
defeated by 100 runs)

How can India lose quarterfinal berth
-----------------------------------------
a) Eng win over WI by high margin. India lose by WI by high margin. Bangladesh win over SA....Eng , Ind ties but better runrate England qualifies..

How can Bangladesh lose quarterfinal berth
--------------------------------------------
a) Eng win over west indies and they lose to south africa

How can west indies lose the quarterfinal berth
-----------------------------------------------
a) WI lose to both india and england..and bangladesh wins over south africa...

i am assuming that because of 58 all out..Bangladesh runrate would remain the most pathetic in case of same points with westindies or in case sa vs bangladesh is a tie..and bangladesh reaches 7 points

Good god this group is getting complicated - and thank god for that. The only thing keeping me awake re: Group A is how high New Zealand will finish.

God I hope the Windies get up over the Poms!

You know, if you've followed Canada's performance since the start of this tournament, they've definitely improved over the course of the Cup. On the basis of their first couple of games, I wouldn't have thought they'd put over 200 on the board against Australia ... or even 120.

More international time against REAL opposition and they may actually stop being such a minnow. But do you think the ICC Old Boys' Club cares?

If anybody should be having a gigantic dummy spit, it's Nathan McCullum after the third umpire somehow didn't award him a sensational fucking catch. What an utterly atrocious decision. And shame on Jayawardene for not walking.

But even that wouldn't have saved the Black Caps. Christ's sake guys.

Hey there's ACTUALLY A GAME ON AUSSIE FREE-TO-AIR TONIGHT!

8pm, you know where I'll be, slightly inebriated.

Australia all out for 176, their lowest at a World Cup since 1992!

Pakistan in with a shot here.

So, the Aussies finally lose a world cup match.

Bangladesh can still make it to the quarters. But India will have to beat WI by about 500 or so runs.

India will kill Australia. The Aussies have proven that they suck against spin, and their bowling attack is toothless beyond Brett Lee. Add to that a grumpy, petulant captain and a batting attack that splutters more than it sparks ... India should have this in the bag as long as they don't try to win the prize for How Quickly Can One Team Collapse.

Apart from Brett Lee :love:, the rest of the Australian's should be given a good slapping. :angry:

I don't understand why Ponting is even there!!! Watching him miss-field to protect his little finger is appalling. :doh:

India should win easily.

It's pretty damning that Australia's Cup hopes rest pretty much entirely on the backs of two of the few remaining cricketers from the golden era - Michael Hussey and Brett Lee. When those two depart, this is going to be a very, very miserable shadow of a great team. Nobody's intimidated by this team like they were when McGrath, Warne, and Lee led a three-pronged bowling attack and the quality batting line-up took more time to type than this post.

So what are everybody's picks for the rest of the tournament? This is the structure:

Match C: Pakistan vs West Indies
Match E: India vs Australia
Match F: New Zealand vs South Africa
Match D: Sri Lanka vs England

Semi-Final 1: D vs F
Semi-Final 2: C vs E

Final: SF 1 vs SF 2

So my picks are:

Match C: Pakistan vs West Indies
Match E: India vs Australia
Match F: New Zealand vs South Africa sigh
Match D: Sri Lanka vs England

Semi-Final 1: Sri Lanka vs South Africa
Semi-Final 2: Pakistan vs India

Final: South Africa vs India, with the Proteas finally throwing off the 'chokers' tag

AcrobatMan said:
interesting fact: England are the ONLY team that is UNDEFEATED by a proper test playing nation.

ps: Bangladesh is NOT a PROPER test playing nation ( as per my definition)

1. That means fuck all when they've been beaten by Ireland and pushed to the limit by holland

2. Of course they are, they can match it with the windies and NZ, and can compete against the rest.

How many of you knew Zimbabwe are back playing tests in October?

interesting fact: England are the ONLY team that is UNDEFEATED by a proper test playing nation.

ps: Bangladesh is NOT a PROPER test playing nation ( as per my definition)
lol_wut1.jpg

I just hope the whole thing is over before the AFL grand final. Can this thing drag on any fucking longer?

Honestly, check the schedule of any other World Cup. It's the same length or not much longer. The real problem is not the overall length, but the lack of games per day.

How many of you knew Zimbabwe are back playing tests in October?

They're going to DIE.

Then again, that should give them a workout against decent opposition more often, so should help them recover in the medium term. They DO have some promising youngsters, and this World Cup showed their bowling attack is unexpectedly competent, especially on pitches that favour spin. They just don't have batsmen who can post defendable totals. If they could put good totals on the board, their bowlers could take them to victory on the right day.

Now what we really, really need is for Ireland and Holland to get regular play against Test countries, especially Ireland. No reason for there not to be a 3 game annual series between Ireland and England, followed by a series against any other team (let's face it, right now an Ireland vs New Zealand/Windies series would be competitive).

Also, although they weren't in this year's tournament, Afghanistan have been making serious strides and I hope they're given the leg up they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom