NICKELBACK Singer Gets A Job At McDonald's, Blames Illegal Music Downloading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
NICKELBACK frontman Chad Kroeger has been named the Canadian spokesman for the new McDonald's Big Mac Meal Tracks promotion, according to Chart Attack. The Big Mac Meal Tracks launch will be on June 8 and will run through July 27.

Speaking at a press conference Thursday (June 3) at the Eaton's Centre in Toronto for Big Mac Meal Tracks, Kroeger discussed the state of the music industry and offered his views on illegal music downloading.

"If trends continue the way they are, there isn't going to be any new music for people to download," said Kroeger. "From a guy who runs a record company, who produces bands and plays in a band, it's a horrifying thought. I love playing my guitar for people and singing for people and I would hate to think that could all be taken away with a couple of clicks on a mouse.

"Young people don't think," he continued. "I'd be surprised if young people know what the hell Sam The Record Man or HMV was. Everyone just goes to the computer, downloads whatever the hell they want, they burn it and then they just play it in their cars. That's killing the music industry."

No bitch, shit music like yours is what ruins the industry :mad:
God they suck. Boo fucking hoo.

Bunbury, your ability to call it like it is is admirable. I salute you, friend!

And boo to Nickelback!!!!!!!!!! :madspit:

Bunbury said:
I love playing my guitar for people and singing for people and I would hate to think that could all be taken away with a couple of clicks on a mouse.

if only it were that easy ;)!

Well thanks y'all.
I try to walk a fine line sometimes by not trying to offend fans of certain bands that seem to be popular here.
But on some things we can all agree :wink:

I love Nickelback! Their heavy vibe really expresses the angst I feel every day. Keep it coming guys, I'll have fries to go as well!

Bunbury said:
I love playing my guitar for people and singing for people and I would hate to think that could all be taken away with a couple of clicks on a mouse.

If a few clicks is all it takes, then please, show me the links.

I think he is messed up if he thinks there is coming a day when new music will not be available for download

The record industry's biggest problem is that the folks who run the lables are unwilling to change the way they've been doing business. I heard a label's top guy interviewed a few months ago and I was just shaking my head. These guys apparently believe that if they sit tight and punish the downloaders, things will magically change back to the way they used to be.

The label people do not have a viable vision for the future. They only believe in the past.

Bunbury said:

No bitch, shit music like yours is what ruins the industry :mad:
God they suck. Boo fucking hoo.

It's not his fault. It's all the people who buy the shitty music. People don't want original stuff. They want something familiar.

While the internet and downloading ARE issues, to me mostly the industry is destroying itself. Too much hype and the oh-so important race for the no 1 spot on the charts, and absolutely NO long-term thinking. I also don't see how 5 labels controling the vast majority of the market is useful for the music - and it's not easy to make it without the promotion machine of a label.

After Madonna and Michael Jackson changed pop forever and videos came with MTV, rap/r&b/hip hop came into mainstream (especially US - which is the biggest/most important market anyway), and boybands and artifically produced groups came along, and with the latest Pop Idol craze (and who of those will be around after 10, 15, 20 years?), it's a wonder any other music genres get a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 90's was the last decade that produced well-known, lasting rock bands.

Last edited:
I do believe downloading music is wrong, except in cases where it's live stuff not available on albums or out-of-print material. But it would be ridiculous to say that's the only reason the music industry is in the toilet. How about flavors-of-the-month getting all the label's marketing dollars while artists who actually have talent and originality get zero exposure because music execs are too scared to take a chance on anything? :madspit:

Last edited:
martha said:
What the hell are Big Mac Meal Tracks? :scratch:

Apparently for every Big Mac Meal you buy, you get a password to download one free song from some music website.

So Kieran, I guess this means Chad Kroeger is doing the goddamn Ronald now. :up:

There's nothing wrong with Nickelback. They're making better music than a lot of people out there.

He is right, though, you know. Illegal downloading is making it all the more difficult to be a musician these days. I would love to become a musician. I play guitar and my one true passion in life is music. I just graduate and I'm still undecided as to what college I'm going to or what I am studying.

I am not becoming a musician because I plan on having a family. But I digress... Ilegal downloading is not right. The artists are the ones who get the bad end of the deal and it's not their fault at all.

HeartlandGirl said:

Apparently for every Big Mac Meal you buy, you get a password to download one free song from some music website.

So lemme get this straight:

It's not okay for me to download a song I like, but it is okay to be simultaneously poisoned by a Big Mac and a complimentary Nickelback tune?

That's fair.

HeartlandGirl said:
haha, classic. i wonder how long it'll take before some computer geeks write a program to exploit this?

and dave, you HAVE to like nickelback. you're from canada. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom