NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
[

1. Detroit vs. 8. Edmonton
T
Prediction: Detroit in 5.

2. Dallas vs. 7. Colorado
T
Prediction: Dallas in 7.

3. Calgary vs. 6. Anaheim

Prediction: Calgary in 4.

4. Nashville vs. 5. San Jose
T
Prediction: Sharks in 6.

1. Ottawa vs. 8. Tampa Bay

Prediction: Lightning in 7.

2. Carolina vs 7. Montreal

Prediction: Carolina in 5.

3. NY Rangers vs. 6. New Jersey

Prediction: Devils in 5.

4. Buffalo vs. 5. Philadelphia
T
Prediction: Flyers in 7.

[/B]

Edmonton over Detroit in 7, Legace might not hold up for Detroit, Samsonov and Peca spark Oilers

Colorado over Dallas in 6, Turco will lose the goaltending battle to Theodore, Colorado has good mix of youth and veterans

Calgary over Ducks in 6, dullest first round series

Sharks over Predators in 5, Nashville's loss of Volkun puts em out

Ottawa over T-Bay in 6, too much firepower

Carolina over Montreal in 7, Habs lose their momentum and Carolina mounts stunning comeback

Devils over Rangers in 6, NY wins one more but that's it, Brodeur pissed off after Olympics backstops Devils to the finals

Buffalo over Flyers in 6, Flyers still have some life but not enough

My theories, some just for the drama, I have no idea about the Habs, they could win. Bottom line is any team with a hot goaltender will go a long way, if your goalies is choking, start booking tee times. Playoff hockey rule number one. That's my Harry Neale pearl of wisdom for the day.

Last edited:
Yay. Devils up 2-0. Sweet action. Devils won't sweep, but I agree - with Jagr being injured, and he being really the only key element of the team, and the Devils FINALLY having 2, maybe 3 scoring lines, and the Devils on a 13 game winning streak, it'll be close to impossible for the Rangers to come back and beat the Devils. When a series is 2-0 in the history of NHL playoffs, only 18 percent of the time has the losing team come back to win the series. If the Devils can win game three today (Wednesday), then they can pretty much seal the series, if not game 4, then definitely in game 5.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:sad:

My Wings have been teasing me... Some of the big scorers have got to step it up. It seems like I always say that this time of year. :madwife:

:hug:

Not meaning to rub it in, but have you seen the video of the Detroit goal that was disallowed in OT???

I don't think I had ever seen that before :hmm:

Montreal should have won. They were by far the better team. Had Souray not broken his stick, he would have gotten that puck out. Had the referees not been idiots, that penalty wouldn't have been called. Also, had the referees not been idiots, they would have called that blatant high sticking on Saku Koivu. When the guy needs to be rushed off to the hospital, bleeding from his eye, it's obvious that it wasn't just a minor little poke from the Carolina player.

PS:

ihatedoncherry.gif

:happy:

GibsonGirl said:
Montreal should have won. They were by far the better team. Had Souray not broken his stick, he would have gotten that puck out. Had the referees not been idiots, that penalty wouldn't have been called. Also, had the referees not been idiots, they would have called that blatant high sticking on Saku Koivu. When the guy needs to be rushed off to the hospital, bleeding from his eye, it's obvious that it wasn't just a minor little poke from the Carolina player.

whine-793044.jpg

:shrug:

I don't know why you've decided to target me, but whatever.

Anyway, enough of that. I hope Koivu's injury isn't too serious. It looked pretty bad on the replay, and they rushed him off the ice very quickly. He doesn't do much offensively by way of goal scoring, but he sets up some nice plays. It would definitely hurt the Habs if he's going to be out for any degree of time. Good to see Souray back in the lineup after being taken out of the last game.

I'm not "targeting" you, as if it's personal.

I just absolutely despise when people blame a team's loss on everything BUT the team itself. The refs, the fans, the ice, the rules...blame them, but not the fact that your team had chances to win but didn't capitalize. No, of course the referees are to blame, and not the fact that Cam Ward played a great game, and that Montreal blew a lead to lose.

Like the Super Bowl, and Seattle fans bitching that the refs lost the game for them. Nobody's debating that referees aren't perfect and may miss a call here or there but there's not a chance in hell that a call absolutely determines a game unless the referee calls a penalty shot for no reason in overtime (and even then, the goalie still has a chance to stop the shot).

It's always the god damn refs, isn't it? Christ.

Stop blaming the damn referees and realize that hey, maybe your team could lose a game because they didn't play as well as the other team!

GG, this isn't solely directed at you, it's a tired vent at 12:30 am more than anything...I just can't stand it when people blame the referees as if it was the only reason a team lost a game. There's nothing I despise more in all of sports (except maybe the New England Patriots).

With that, i'm going to bed. Go Flames. :wave:

I see your point, Dave, but there's absolutely no need to post obnoxious images directed at me. I'm not trying to blame it entirely on the refs, but still, you have to admit, they made some questionable decisions tonight. The failure to call the high sticking against Carolina for Koivu, for instance, and the failure to call the boarding penalty against Carolina during overtime, just before dishing out that last penalty to Montreal. It's little mistakes like that which can make a difference to the outcome of the game.

And yes, I KNOW the referees are not the only reason why Montreal lost. Francis Bouillon could have increased Montreal's lead twice. Michael Ryder had a lot of opportunities as well. But still, it's frustrating to see your team play so well and dominate the entire game, only to have them lose because they had a penalty called against them when they should have been the ones on the power play in the first place.

Sure the refs made some shitty calls. So what's the difference between tonight and every other game in every sport that's ever been played? Any referee in any sport will tell you that it's impossible to call a perfect game, every match has bad decisions by referees and they know it.

Montreal didn't win the game because they weren't good enough. Period. They had chances to win and didn't. Period. That's why they lost.

Montreal lost because the Hurricanes' goalie was playing exceptionally well and because of bad luck. They didn't lose because they "weren't good enough." Please. Don't give me that rubbish. Did we watch the same game? They had complete control over the Hurricanes. Carolina were practically flopping over themselves in the second period. How many giveaways did they have in their own zone? How many times did they turnover the puck? Montreal pushed them the whole night and if Cam Ward wasn't in the net, the score would have been a lot higher in Montreal's favour.

Period.

Apparently we weren't watching the same hockey game. Must be the half-hour time difference. Wacky Newf TV. ;)

Anyways, there's no sense in arguing about this, since you love the Habs and I dislike them, we'll obviously both have very differing opinions here. That, and I have a dentist appointment in 6 and a half hours and I need to get some sleep.

Good night. :wave:

Don Cherry is like a 40 of Wildcat. Both disgusting, but strangely intriguing at the same time.

Go Carolina, woohoo! Bring it on Gibby!!

I'm an Oilers fan so I can't cheer for the Flames either Dave. I can't even watch their games.

There, you both have someone independent to tease.:wink:

DaveC said:
Apparently we weren't watching the same hockey game. Must be the half-hour time difference. Wacky Newf TV. ;)

Don't mean to poop on your parade Dave, but the term "Newf" is derogotory. :down:

DaveC said:
Well, I'm rooting for the Oilers, too. They're the two Canadian teams I can actually cheer for. :)

:hmm: So, which team would you root for in a renewed "Battle of Alberta"? It may just happen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom