MLB 2014 Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, the trade deadline tomorrow. Always makes my birthday (today) so rumortastic!

Oh wow, we actually got something for Darwin Barney after all. I'll take a decent pitching prospect.

EDIT: And we're about to get Felix Doubront from the Red Sox, apparently.

EDIT to the EDIT:

Jesse Rogers And Bonifacio deal getting close. Not sure where yet RT @JimBowdenESPNxm: Felix Duobront traded to Cubs for PTBNL #confirmed

:hyper: I love today, it moves so fast.

Supposedly it's going to be the Orioles, but there are other people saying it WON'T Be the Orioles, so who knows.

EDIT: Let me correct that second bit. Ken Rosenthal only said it's not as close as people are suggesting: "Hearing from multiple sources that Lester to #Orioles is not close. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen. But not happening yet."

The Dodgers optioned Darwin Barney to AAA. I hope they pointed and laughed at Uggla and the Giants when they did that.
They're calling it the "Barney Block" over on the Cubs' site :lol:. That was totally to stop the Giants from getting him.

I'm not in the same rush to see Friday's game, now, though. I'll content myself with Wada on Saturday.

The Orioles did have discussions earlier on Lester, but talks have fizzled and there no longer appears to be a match, reports Andy Martino of the New York Daily News

So there's that.

Cespedes was going to opt-out after 2015, so this really isn't a huge blow to Oakland assuming they don't re-sign Lester after the season. I'm usually not a fan of all-in trades for teams that are already making the playoffs, but this at least isn't costing them all that much.

There'd been a lot of talk here (prior to the actual trade) that it was going to be Oakland or Pittsburgh specifically for that reason, and they were unlikley to deal with St Louis or the Dodgers for fear they would just go ahead and extend Lester.

I still find it hard to believe he re-signs with Boston this winter, cause if they couldn't agree on dollars when there was no other competition, I doubt the Sox up their offer anywhere near what the matket will bear.
I'd be pleased to be wrong about that, but my gut (and we all know from 2 Fridays ago how valuable gut feelings are) says he takes a huge deal elsewhere (and unfortunately I bet its the Bronx).

I will laugh so hard if he gets even half of that.

You don't think he can get 90 Mil?
Are you serious?

The "hometown discount" numbers being bandied about the past few weeks were 5 yrs $125 Mil, and that wasn't a good enough deal, the years was the sticking point, he's looking to get (and surely will) 6 yrs, a team may even go 7. He's probably going to get 6 or 7 years and the total dollars will end up between 150 Mil and 180 Mil somewhere.

90 mil? What is this 1998?

It's not like Lester is getting BABIP luck or anything this year. He's just better. More strikeouts, less walks: a formula for success. Obviously you're going to be paying beyond his prime but the free agent market is so thin these days that you have to overpay to get him, even if you think he's a number two starter.

Boston doesn't seem to think they need any pitchers the rest of the season. Andrew Miller to Detroit, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom