MLB 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An MLB team in San Antonio? That's a good one. Shit, I think Dallas would get one before San Antone.

Bottom Line Time!

-Interleague sucks. It was entertaining for the first five years, but the novelty is gone. If MLB is gonna keep doing it, have the DH in NL parks. AL pitchers can't hit for shit and that just ain't fair. :lol:

-Contraction ain't gonna happen.

-Expansion ain't gonna happen.

-I like all of the cities that have MLB teams. Hopefully they all stay put. Maybe a miracle will happen and Loria will sell the Marlins to someone who gives a fuck.

I really hope you're wrong about teams staying put. Tampa and Oakland really both need to move badly.

I'm glad I didn't drop Manny Machado in my FANTASY LEAGUE, guys. Whoo. Hopefully that bomb will wake up the young phenom.

You do realize that Arlington is 20 miles from Dallas, hence Dallas already has a team, right?

I didn't realize they were, but I would still classify Dallas-Fort Worth as different region. Not to dog San Antonio, but I've only known them for the Spurs and the Alamo. :wink:

Why the hell would anyone support that fraud?

There's literally ZERO surprise here. Say what you'd like about our attendance last year, and even if you think it's not sufficient it was at least REAL. The fans came out in fair numbers to support a bad team that was supposed to be good.

Hope that old man gets hit by a bus.

Ah, so only young people can make jokes about stupid things people have said in the past? Hewson, etc., will be thrilled to hear he's young!

Big bats for everyone!

But anyway, I said stupid stuff in 2007 or so that people still give me crap for on here. Took a few years, but I got over it. I was probably around the same age then as you were when Josh Johnson was better than Felix Hernandez for a hot small sample sized minute. When you're all growed up, you'll get over it.

I don't know, man. Look at run-scoring trends over the last few years. It's definitely a pitcher's era. How can pitching be thin in a pitcher's era?
Just because run scoring is down as a whole doesn't mean pitching isn't spread too thin. There are a variety of reasons why run scoring is down in the past couple of years.

Ah, so only young people can make jokes about stupid things people have said in the past? Hewson, etc., will be thrilled to hear he's young!

Jokes? It's your maturity. Equivalent to that of a 14 year old. Perfect hindsight. Yes, you appear to be correct. Now get over it.

Just because run scoring is down as a whole doesn't mean pitching isn't spread too thin. There are a variety of reasons why run scoring is down in the past couple of years.

What is causing pitchers in general to strike out more batters and walk less batters then?

Major League Total Stats ? 2012 ? Pitchers ? Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Pitching numbers overall have been steadily improving. The things that really stick out to me aren't as much the run-scoring numbers (which have been better), but the peripherals such as K/9, BB/9, and H/9 all improving over the entire league over the past decade. If pitching is so thin, why aren't these numbers getting worse? You might say that there's been no expansion in this time, which is true.

So let's take a look at the numbers for the last two decades, when expansion occurred twice:

Major League Total Stats ? 2012 ? Pitchers ? Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Hm. The pitching, overall, hasn't been as good as its been over the past 3 years with regard to K/9, BB/9 in 20 years. The only season I see where H/9 was on par is 1992. That was also the year that had the best ERA, but also by far the best HR/9. But the K/9 and BB/9 that year were laughably bad as a league in comparison to, say, 2012. Modern day pitching is not thin, because pitchers aren't all from North America anymore. The percentage of South American and Asian pitchers has been much, much higher. And will continue to do so as time moves on. So as the slots on major league teams increase, the more we'll see teams building complexes in other countries where the markets are less tapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom