MLB 2008: The World Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet still dominated your sorry ass team in the DS.
It must really suck to be an Angels fan.
Oh, no, it's great to be an Angels fan.

Most of us are happy the Sox got eliminated from a series they had no business being in in the first place. A WS with the Rays will be much more interesting. And smug Red Sox fans everywhere will now keep their mouths shut.

I posted that the Angels played like pussies in the ALDS (particularly the first two games), and they did. I make no bones about that.

The Sox were playing with an injured Ortiz and Beckett, which is why they were not a World Series or even ALCS-caliber team. In the ALDS, several of the Angels pulled down their pants, bent over and grabbed their ankles for the Red Sox and handed them a ticket to the ALCS.

You had fun, glad you're done.

Wow, this thread has been truly classy in the last 14 hours.

Varitek, in truth I read several of your posts from yesterday and I don't have any problem with you. I didn't mean to be a jerk with my comment to the post of yours that I quoted, so I apologize if I was.

As for the other guys, Hewson gloats all the time. In general, the Red Sox fans on this board are smug when their team is winning. Because of that, I have no problem reveling in their misery.

As for the other guys, Hewson gloats all the time. In general, the Red Sox fans on this board are smug when their team is winning. Because of that, I have no problem reveling in their misery.

Actually if you pay attention, I very rarely gloat, but I do enjoy putting you in your place every October when the Red Sox take your Angels out, because you are extrememly boastful of how much better they are than the Red Sox, yet they've never beaten the Red Sox in October.
I just post the facts every time you insist the Angels are the better team. Maybe if they ever beat the Red Sox in October, your argument will have some validity, until then not so much.

Actually if you pay attention, I very rarely gloat, but I do enjoy putting you in your place every October when the Red Sox take your Angels out, because you are extrememly boastful of how much better they are than the Red Sox, yet they've never beaten the Red Sox in October.

I don't think I said the '04 and '07 Angels were better than the Red Sox teams they faced, and if I did say (type) that, I shouldn't have. What I did do and still do is repeatedly point out that those Angels teams - particularly the '07 team - were severly handicapped by injuries and therefore not very competitive. Look, Reggie-effing-Willits was batting cleanup at one point in last year's ALDS; that should tell you everything you need to know. Would we have beaten the Sox in '07 with a healthy team? Maybe not. Beckett was dominating and Ortiz and Manny were hitting the ball as usual (though if I recall correctly, Ortiz was a bit banged up during that series, which may have affected his AB's, i.e., he might have had an even better series if he had been completely healthy).

This.

Mr. Lackey, show me a post where the Boston fans taunt posters in this thread who aren't you.

Look, Reggie-effing-Willits was batting cleanup at one point in last year's ALDS; that should tell you everything you need to know.

Garret Anderson started Game 3 of the 2007 ALDS at LF and cleanup. He came out after one at-bat. Being the designated 4th outfielder and all, Reggie Willits took his spot at cleanup. Stuff like that happens. It's not like he was penciled in as the big power threat for the game.

Maicer Izturis took Gary Matthews's spot in that game and had 3 hits.

And given that the Angels bullpen gave up 7 runs in the 8th inning to lose that game, I don't think a healthy Anderson would have made the difference.

I genuinely think the Phillies have a good shot at beating the Rays. It'll be a long series in any event, I figure.

I agree. Tampa relies too much on the long ball. Aside from Moyer, I don't think Philly's pitching staff will allow much of that. Well, Joe Blanton maybe. I don't know.

But I still say Phillies will win.

Glad the Blowsox are gone, they're boring as hell without Manny.

The Red Sox played their asses off all the way to Game 7, but came up a little short. They've got nothing to be ashamed of. Meanwhile, your Angels with the MLB's best regular season record, got their asses smoked in the first round! They should be ashamed! You shouldn't be talking any smack whatsoever because you have nothing to back it up. :wave:

BTW- Devil Rays - R.I.P. - 1998-2007
"Rays" - Born - 2008 :hyper:

Rays/Phils should be fun. I'll be rooting for the Rays, but the Phils should give them a good fight. I don't know who's gonna win, so I won't make any predictions.

I agree. Tampa relies too much on the long ball. Aside from Moyer, I don't think Philly's pitching staff will allow much of that. Well, Joe Blanton maybe. I don't know.

But I still say Phillies will win.

Actually, Hamels gives up all of his runs on the homer. He's a changeup pitcher, and his only mistakes are changeups left up, which are home run balls. He is one of baseball's best pitchers, but he consistently is near the top of the NL in most home runs allowed.

One good thing for Moyer: He's facing a young team that will have seen Hamels and Myers in games one and two. Hopefully, the abrupt change in speed will affect them more than it affected Milwaukee or LA.

Hopefully.

Could they have won it without him? Certainly. But there were too many injuries to various players for them to really have gone all the way, barring a total meltdown from all of their opponents.

We know the Dodgers certainly couldn't have made it without him.

They wouldn't have won it with them if he stayed and carried on like did during his final days in Boston. Perhaps things would've eventually subsided like they always seemed to do and Manny would've gone back to hitting, but who knows. It would've been nice to get a bit more in return, but Boston had no leverage when Manny gave up, even if they did control the option years.

you really think he would have just continued to tank? he's done this before... after the trading deadline passes, he's always back to being manny.

the injuries to lowell and varitek being so completely done is stuff that just happens... it's not under their control. having manny is. bay is good, yes. but if the sox had manny in that series, they'd be in the world series today.

I really hope Moyer has a better outing than his first 2 starts in the post season. I love Hamels and Utley, they're my favs.

Actually, Hamels gives up all of his runs on the homer. He's a changeup pitcher, and his only mistakes are changeups left up, which are home run balls. He is one of baseball's best pitchers, but he consistently is near the top of the NL in most home runs allowed.

One good thing for Moyer: He's facing a young team that will have seen Hamels and Myers in games one and two. Hopefully, the abrupt change in speed will affect them more than it affected Milwaukee or LA.

Hopefully.

:) You know, as I posted about the pitching, I thought to myself "self, you know some Philly fan is going to say, "actually..." and my point will be disproved."

The only thing I didn't know that it actually would be Phillyfan26. :lol:

red sox fans have to ask themselves... was getting something, anything, in return for manny ramirez, who was likely to walk at year's end regardless, worth a shot at the world series?

Well, I think Manny would have hit just like he did in LA once the trading deadline passed and the carrot of a big contract was in front of him. I said at the time I didn't like the deal.
In the ALDS, Jason Bay put up numbers akin to Manny's vs the Cubs, so a wash there, but in the ALCS, Bay didn't come close to Manny in the NLCS, would that have been the difference...possibly, but its a very inexact science to be sure. Plus there was appparently something to the rest of the team relaxing after the Manny circus left town.

They now have Bay entrenched in LF for 2009, at a reasonable 9mil, so the trade will look good next year, plus Craig Hansen is fueling fires in Pittsburgh, the bullpen performed miles better as a unit once he scorched his way out of town, I think this ultimately is the most important aspect of the trade...ridding themselves of an expensive error. (Really wish they had dealt him for Roy Oswalt in 2006 when people other than me thought he had potential)

I would have preferred a happy Manny in LF through the playoffs in Boston, but whatcha gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom