MERGED-->Donnie Darko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know bumping old threads isn't exactly encouraged...

but i finally saw this movie.

fucking awesome.

Grandma Death and how she was known for her gemstone collection and that when he was younger

i caught that but i thought he said her JAM collection :huh:

:der:

uh yeah so i'm not the smartest person...

but i loved the movie.

I forced a friend of mine to watch this movie....she did well up until the end...then she said that she missed something. I had to explaine everything to her (as usual with my favorite mind f*** movies)until she finally got it. I love this movie way too much for my own good.

Yeah I love this movie, I also made my friend watch it and she didnt really get it so I had to kind of explain to her!!!

Very clever film!

Please sign the petition to get Sweetest Thong to watch this.
Screamie, please help.
~@~ was right, once again.

BassT I've only watched this once, and it needs multiple viewings to get the old head around certain parts, but the bunny had to be there from the engine falling in or it wouldn't have come full circle. Plus something had to keep showing him the process as it was happening.
This might be wrong, and it might not make much sense.
But that's my story and I'm sticking to it :wink:

I bought the DVD a few months back. My roommate put a big Donnie Darko poster up in our living room, it's pretty sweet.

I yelled out in excitement at the scene in Donnie's bedroom which showed an MC Escher poster on his wall, which I had then as my desktop on here.

Then I realised I was watching it alone.
:|

u2popmofo said:
I bought the DVD a few months back. My roommate put a big Donnie Darko poster up in our living room, it's pretty sweet.

I want a Donnie Darko poster in my living room! Now I'm super jelous of you mofo.

*watching movie again*

:shifty:

it's 5am...there are more important things for me to be doing. like uh...sleeping, for one.

You are Donnie Darko! You are confused and mentally unstable but you are a truly great guy who just wants to love, be loved, and not die alone. "I promise one day everything will be better for you."

I'm a guy. :sad:

But at least I'm a good-looking one. :shifty:

Richard Kelly's directorial debut Donnie Darko has quietly gathered a huge cult following. Now Kelly is finally talking about his plans for his next films as well as a Director's Cut edition of Donnie Darko.

The main difference in the director's cut will be the addition of a lot of music that the distributors didn't want to pay for the first time around. They felt the film was too much of a risk, so they cut a lot of the pop music.

"We are hoping to be able to put it all back. It will [contain] a significant number of new songs. That?s in terms of the music, but there are also a lot of the deleted scenes, some of which you can see on the DVD and others that aren?t on the DVD," Kelly told About.com. "I really feel [they] help expand a lot of the supporting characters, and help clarify a lot of the plot points in the film that might seem a little ambiguous or vague in its current incarnation. I don?t feel that they in any way take away from the intended ambiguity of the film when it comes to certain ideas. It?s tough to talk about all this because it?s pretty complicated stuff, but it?s part of the original design of what it?s intended to be."

Donnie Darko: The Directors Cut is currently in pre-production at Newmarket films, however it hasn't been officially announced.

oooh

so i'll have to hold off on buying maybe...

i never buy movies. but this is favorite almost in the sense that gangs of ny is my favorite movie.

IWasBored said:

1052607704_ureskaren2.jpg

You are Karen. You are just trying to help kids find themeselves. "A linguist once said that out of all the combinations of words in the English language, "Cellar Door" was the most beautiful."

i posted it, but i never actually did the quiz. i'm not abig fan of those things...

same as meggie:
1052607507_uresdonnie.jpg

GREAT MOVIE! I just read this entire thread and there are some really interesting comments pertaining to the flick...

Yeeaaaaah, so I haven't watched the commentary yet, but from what I can gather, Freaky Bunny Frank (FBF) is some sort of angel or "messenger" from God to help Donnie Darko realize that there is a purpose to life and no one dies alone. I beLIEve (heheheheh) Donnie was supposed to die in the very beginning, but FBF awakened him and called him to the golf course to purposefully create the tangent universe. The reasoning behind creating the tangent universe was to show Donnie that everything he does, and everybody else for that matter, is for a reason. We are not merely cattle waiting for the inevitable slaughter, but a part of God's Divine Plan, whatever that may be.

SO, that's just what I got from the film, anyways. Donnie wakes up in the end laughing and smiling, knowing he's just saved the world and there is a reason to his existence. He knows he's about to die, but accepts it because he now realizes there's something better waiting for him in the end...

You know, now that I think about it, you can interpret this film just about anyway you like :shrug: I have no idea how Richard Kelly meant for this film to be understood (or maybe he *did* mean for it to have multiple interpretations) :scratch: Well regardless, I thought the saddest part of the film was when that blonde-haired kid at the end asked Gretchen if she knew Donnie and she said "no." I don't know, it really made me think of how much one individual can really affect the people around him/her.

i just thought it was intersting how when donnie was hyptontized he menteiond that frank saved his life. first time i watched it i wasn't sure what he meant. but he subconsciously knew that when frank told him to follow him and he ended up on the golf course the morning the engine fell on the house, that not being in bed kept him from getting squished.

sorry if someone said that, there were a couple long posts i couldn't movitate myself to read. especially the one in the light font that i didn't even see.

Angela Harlem said:
Please sign the petition to get Sweetest Thong to watch this.
Screamie, please help.
~@~ was right, once again.

lol angie....I know..I keep meaning to rent it. I just haven't had the time.

I have finals coming up soon, and I'm sure I'll need a brak from studying at some point, in which I will rent it...watch it...and eat lactose-free ice cream...

Coincidentally (didn't know about this thread) I saw this movie this past weekend. I really hadn't ever wanted to see it--I thought the bunny looked totally possessed--but my boyfriend has me watching all kinds of movies and I agreed to watch it. I really enjoyed it overall though I found it a bit disturbing (maybe more than a bit) and some things I found hard to understand. A few of your comments have helped, actually! I really loved the music (80's rocks!) and it was just a different kind of movie that made me think--I woke up in the morning still thinking about it. I also watched Vanilla Sky recently and in a strange way the two movies reminded me of each other. Maybe because they're two movies I watched with my sweetie that I would probably never have watched otherwise but there was a certain similarity in the ideas of manipulation of reality and what is real and what isn't and so on and so forth. I also woke up thinking about Vanilla Sky the next day...I have to say that the guy who played Donnie was absolutely excellent, a really good actor.

Back
Top Bottom