March Mmmmmmadness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was planning to pick Vermont too, until I saw them pitted against Syracuse. I work with a girl who is a 'Cuse alum, and I'm afraid her propaganda convinced me to pick them over a team I knew was really good. :down: She picked them to win it all, of course, so her bracket is screwed.

I had Kansas in the Elite 8 and 'Cuse in the Sweet Sixteen, but other than those, my bracket is hanging in there. I went 24 of 32 in the first round. Looking forward to another exciting day. :up:

how can a bunch of H.S. All-Americans (Kansas) fall to a Bucknell?

After the first round, my hunches for the Final Four are Illinois, Wake, Villanova and Duke.

What a coincidence, Villanova gets back to the Final Four in the 20th anniversary of Villanova over the mighty Hoyas of Georgetown.

I went 26-6 in the first round.

My Final Four picks are still all holding up: Illinois, UConn, Gonzaga, and Duke.

I kept my original bracket but made some new picks for the second round, so we'll see how that goes. :)

Went 23-9 in the first round, and with the Gonzaga loss today my bracket might as well be done.

Seems those Bulldogs screw me over every year.

4 out of 8 today for the sweet sixteen. :slant:

Shout out to West Virginia. Pittsnogle indeed. :angry:

sheldon.jpg

Regardless of all the messed brackets, you can't help but think this is a fantastic tournament already.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and if the trends continue, it's only a matter of time before we see a mid-major in the final four... a mid-major winning the whole thing.

it'll happen... sooner then later... it will. just look at gonzaga. 5 years ago they're a mid-major... now they're a perenial top 25 team and a 3 seed in the tourney.
And once again they are a 2nd round exit to a more athletic, yet lower seeded team, this year that team being #6 Texas Tech.

The Gonzagas and Vermonts of today's NCAA are good enough to win 1, maybe 2 games, but forget them ever string together 4 wins to reach the final 4 let alone 6 to win the title.
Look at who's left. The only real surprise is Wis-Mil, and thats a very athletic pressing team who benefitted from being seede to play 2 teams (Bama and BC) who peaked in December and February respectively and can't handle full court pressure.
Perhaps you could also label Utah a bit of a surprise, but they were ranked all season and Andrew Bogut is one of the best players in the land.
Other than that the other 14 teams are all from power conferences, all expected to be where they are.

The tournament isn't for the little guy to win, it is set up so the little guy can have a great night like Vermont or Bucknell, but they're never gonna win.

Hewson said:
And once again they are a 2nd round exit to a more athletic, yet lower seeded team, this year that team being #6 Texas Tech.

The Gonzagas and Vermonts of today's NCAA are good enough to win 1, maybe 2 games, but forget them ever string together 4 wins to reach the final 4 let alone 6 to win the title.
Look at who's left. The only real surprise is Wis-Mil, and thats a very athletic pressing team who benefitted from being seede to play 2 teams (Bama and BC) who peaked in December and February respectively and can't handle full court pressure.
Perhaps you could also label Utah a bit of a surprise, but they were ranked all season and Andrew Bogut is one of the best players in the land.
Other than that the other 14 teams are all from power conferences, all expected to be where they are.

The tournament isn't for the little guy to win, it is set up so the little guy can have a great night like Vermont or Bucknell, but they're never gonna win.

20+ years ago an upset was villanova or nc state... power conference teams... winning. very rarely did a mid-major team ever advance in the tournament, unless they had some guy named larry on their team.

10+ years ago, maybe you'd see a team here and there get past the first round... copin state, tulsa, gonzaga... and when they happen, people are shocked beyond belief.

now upsets happen on a regular basis... it was not shocking to me that vermont beat syracuse. i almost picked it. it was not shocking for uw-milwaukee to win. even the 1-16 and 2-15 games were still games in the second half.

as more and more players skip college and go right to the nba, the mid majors will improved and the powers will continue to decline. the lines between levels will continue to blurr, and eventually a mid major team will sneak there way into the final four. it will happen in the next 10 years. and they won't even need to have larry bird on the team to do it.

and on a side note... i was drunk off my ass when i made that original post.

obviously from top to bottom the big ten was down, but mich st., wisc., and especially the illini. can play with any team.

nova really impressed me last night, even though they took the L. Their defense on UNC was amazing...real good physical basketball last night. Every play it seemed someone hit the floor.

illinois has been overrated the whole year

its good to finally see them get exposed

Back
Top Bottom