I'm old enough to remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved family ties!

I never knew what that saying was referring to the E ticket :reject:

you had to give them a ticket to get on a ride? I seriously don't remember that and I've been going to Disneyland forever

yes, you had to purchase ticket books, and different rides were different tickets. Like the Matterhorn would be an "E", while the Merry Go Round might be an "A" or something... Before the days of unlimited-ness and passes

E rides were the best rides at the park, thus the saying "That was an E ticket ride!"
Which is not heard much more for obvious reasons.

An "A" Ticket ride was for example the horse trolley that goes through Main St

DisneyETicket_wbelf.jpg

:tsk:

200px-Walt_Disney's_Enchanted_Tiki_Room_Poster.png

I ate my frozen lemonade in there (it was hot outside!) and Maddy had a pineapple yogurt type thing from that booth right out front...

I remember when a man first walked on the moon.

I remember when Nixon visited the embassy in Paris (we were living there).

I remember wondering what the Beatles were going to do next and later my music teacher crying when they broke up.

I remember constantly wondering if they were going to get back together.

I remember when 'streaking' was all the rage.:ohmy:

I remember the snow storm in Washington, D.C. and driving to a bar to celebrate on the night that the U.S. beat the Soviets in hockey.

I remember going to a friend's house for dinner and listening to Greetings From Asbury Park.

I remember my dad's record collection with albums that didn't play at 33 1/3.

I remember wondering what Evil Knievel was going to jump next.

I remember calling into a sports line to get game results.

I remember when Ali was fighting Frasier.

I remember seeing You Only Live Twice in the theatres.

I remember going to Disney World right after it opened.

I remember when Morgan Freeman was on the Electric Company.

I remember banging on my tv set to make it work better.

I remember getting a phone, and a few yrs later I remember us switching from rotary to a sleek push button model.

I remember He Man, and a few yrs later being able to take my brother in to town ON THE BUS BY OURSELVES to see the movie.

I remember playing TJ Hooker, and I always wanted to be Stacey.

I remember Dallas and Falcon Crest nights, we were never really a Dynasty family.

I remember Bet Lynch, Hilda Ogden et al, and when Eastenders started.

Grange Hill , the old Dr. Who ( The Fourth Era), Play School, Blue Peter ( I think I kept postcard companies in business trying to enter all their competitions), CrackerJack ( OMG I went to see the christmas panto version of it at the Gaiety or somewhere I think), TOTP when it was the be all and end all of music, Bosco :reject:, Aneka (sp) Rice - I was in love with her and wanted to be her when I grew up), The Thunderbirds (creepiest show ever), , The Professionals (Bodie and Doyle, I was always liked the blonde one), The Avengers, Minder (Her Indoors),

Playing V with my friends, reading The Four Marys, Black Beauty, the Just William books :drool:,Sweet Valley High books

Torvill & Dean & Bolero :love: - I tried to recreate this on our linoleum floored kitchen with rubber soled slippers, slipper jammed on the floor, face first into a cabinet and knocked myself out and 4 teeth with it :lol: ),

Karate Kid, buying a David Bowie mirror after falling in love with him in Labyrinth, BROS ( I was always a Luke girl :drool: and passed out seeing them in concert), A-Ha (Morten :flirt: ),

Space Hoppers, Rubicks(sp) cubes, yoyos, Roller Skates,

being the ultimate chic with my Robert Smith fringe (Cure Head) and the rest of my hair tied back in a banana clip,

Smash Hits magazine

playing Pong for hours (1 player!!)

Thinking my best friend's older brother was weird and a pretentious snob because he was a huge U2 fan ( Irony don't hurt me!)

The Pope coming to Dublin

Going on shopping trips to Newry and Belfast beacause everything was cheaper (Argos catalogues :drool: )

Aaannnddd I just drifted off into a 10 minute reverie so I'll stop for now :coocoo: :help:

I just remembered Challenger :sad:

Ellliiiiottt (Please someone know what I'm talking about - you need to remember the voice!) LOL

k, I'm really going to bed now!!

Last edited:
Westport said:
I remember wondering what Evil Knievel was going to jump next.

This just brought back the funniest memory!! :lol:

I was very young when he jumped the Snake River Canyon (I think that was the one). I must have been a dorky, naive, literal-minded little kid who obviously didn't understand the nuances of dare devilry, but I remember walking around that entire day with a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, convinced that he was going to die, and wishing there were some way I could stop him from going ahead with it. :reject: :lmao:

Last edited:
Here's just some random stuff:
I remember when pro athletes stayed with the same team for their whole career.
I remember having a car or cars that only had AM radio.
I remember 8 track players. My older sister used to play the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack all of the time.
I remember 45's.
I remember cassette singles.
I remember when children listened to their parents with a very genuine feeling that they would get their asses kicked if they didn't.
I remember when nobody downsized.
I remember when you couldn't say fart, ass or sucks on broadcast tv.

Oh how embarrassing,

I remember when:

cable first came out with the box
atari pong
Bay City Rollers
the VCR
a CD the music kind
Beepers
cell phones
Michael Jacksons thriller
email
cordless phone
cd player in the car

this is making me feel like I was born in the 1900's. :huh:

RedrocksU2 said:
I am old enough to remember wearing "Op" shorts.
:reject:

corduroyshorts01.jpg

:drool:

I remember coming home from Disneyland with unused tickets from those books - or giving them to California family members.

Mr. BAW...the Dodgers moved from Brooklyn. ;)

I remember:
- the Iran Hostage fiasco.
- I had a commodore 64.
- Service Merchandice.
- the 1980 Olympic Boycott.
- The space shuttle taking off (maybe for the first time?)
- going into Sears and typing on a Commodore Pet (?)"10 Print 'MICHAEL RULES!'; 20 GOTO 10 RUN" so that MICHAEL RULES would take over the computer screen.
- when Mr. Roboto was my favorite song.
- Joe Montana beating the Bengals inthe SuperBowl.
- We had a dial up phone (my mother actually kept it until about 3 years ago.)
- Fraggle Rock & the Muppet Show. Mr Hooper on Sesame Street.
- Arcades. Like, real arcades.
- Having a reel to reel recorder and my and my sister recording ourselves.
- The Neverending Story.
- ET Mania (Is that the Elllliiiioooottttt reference?)
- John Lennon getting shot.
- Harry Chapin dying (I was at the show he was en route to.) :sad:
- 3 quarter sleeves, skidz pants, Ocean Pacific, Jamz.

k, done for now.

Back
Top Bottom