I Hate the Dave Matthews Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zoney & digi :up:

I don't like Dave Matthews either.

But these threads are utterly stupid. I remember when Bang & Clatter actually hosted intelligent music discussions. It seems like a long time ago.

DiGi, you are a hero.

The disparity seems to be between people who've been around Bang and Clatter for a long time (years, in many cases) and those who are relatively new to the board. This is not to bash newbies--we all used to be one. But since the release of the new U2 album, this forum has been extremely busy with lots of people new to the board.

The point is, Bang and Clatter used to be a forum of enlightening music discussion. Lots of positive discussions about artists of all genres. But there has been a lot of hate in B&C lately, and a lot of opinions without any intelligent discussion. There is a huge difference between writing a three paragraph, well-thought-out explanation of why a certain artist doesn't exactly inspire you. To start a thread saying "I hate so and so. They're ugly and their voice sucks and my dog hates them too" fails to foster any genuine discussion of an artist.

The arguments saying "Start your own threads!" or "Don't read these threads" are ridiculous. There have been so many crap threads in this forum lately that the more intelligent ones get bumped off the first page and into oblivion within an afternoon's time.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that's mine. If other people are going to express their negative opinions of a musical artist, I wish they'd do so in an intelligent manner.

Edited to add: And as an unwritten rule for myself, I usually don't start threads about artists I dislike, and I don't go in threads about them and rain on the parade of their fans. I love the argument that "it's good to get it off your chest." Sorry, but I've never hated a musical artist so badly that it was eating me up inside and I just had to tell someone. So yeah. I think it keeps things a lot more positive around here to do that, and people can post about their favorite bands without the fear of getting bashed for their taste in music.

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
But there has been a lot of hate in B&C lately, and a lot of opinions without any intelligent discussion. There is a huge difference between writing a three paragraph, well-thought-out explanation of why a certain artist doesn't exactly inspire you. To start a thread saying "I hate so and so. They're ugly and their voice sucks and my dog hates them too" fails to foster any genuine discussion of an artist.

Perhaps one reason why those threads keep happening is because people keep responding to them all angry and everything. If you just ignore the crap threads, they should eventually dwindle off, because those people who start those are looking for a reaction, and if they don't get one, well, there's not much of a point to doing it anymore, is there?

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
The arguments saying "Start your own threads!" or "Don't read these threads" are ridiculous. There have been so many crap threads in this forum lately that the more intelligent ones get bumped off the first page and into oblivion within an afternoon's time.

Bump them back up. And just keep trying for intelligent discussions. That's really the only solution I can think of right now.
Believe me, I do agree with you-I'm tired of seeing people get insulted because they dare like such-and-such artist, too. I want positive discussions regarding music, too. But if you don't think starting intelligent discussion threads or ignoring the crap threads is going to solve the problem, then what should we do?

Angela

I agree with you that it is important to ignore the negative threads and bump the positive ones. I honestly hadn't even read this thread until someone said I should take a look at zoney's post. I thought he made a good point, and this thread seemed like as good a place as any to second that emotion. :wink: And just today I bumped up the good ol' Fiery Furnaces thread to rave about them. It's a good strategy, and I do employ it. :)

But I think the X factor here is going to be some self-awareness and self-control. Maybe some people will read the responses in this thread and think twice the next time they feel the need to post another "I hate X" or "so and so unappreciation" thread. I think many of these such threads are started by people who are new here and aren't thinking about what kind of tone they're setting in this forum with their negativity. Maybe now they'll think first. :up:

And that is not to say that I don't like debate or that we should all love all music. I just wish the discussions were a bit more intelligent and backed up with some evidence rather than a short, meaningless "I don't care, I just hate so and so" or a smiley rolling its eyes.

I should start an I Love Zootlesque thread, would that make you people happier? cuz he does rule.

but I stand by what I've said, DMB sucks, and I will say it as much as I want because it's how I feel. If you disagree, I don't care, have fun listening to a no-talent eyebrow-raising two-bit hack. JUST BECAUSE HE CAN RAISE HIS EYEBROW DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A TALENTED MUSICIAN! or a talented anything for that matter.

YARR!

AtomicBono said:
I should start an I Love Zootlesque thread, would that make you people happier? cuz he does rule.

but I stand by what I've said, DMB sucks, and I will say it as much as I want because it's how I feel. If you disagree, I don't care, have fun listening to a no-talent eyebrow-raising two-bit hack. JUST BECAUSE HE CAN RAISE HIS EYEBROW DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A TALENTED MUSICIAN! or a talented anything for that matter.

YARR!

I guess I don't understand why you would listen to someone you hate. As for the "I have to listen to them, they are playing on the radio where I work/go to school/shop/etc., etc., etc.," I suggest you learn the ever so useful tactic of tuning out that which you do not wish to hear....you know, like kids do with their parents. It works like a charm. :wink:

Loads of bands/musicians I don't like...I just don't listen to the or I tune them out. Of course I got called a pretentious twat (I'm pretty sure those were the words used) because I had the nerve to suggest that turning off a tv or radio was a reasonable course of action when there was something on the person didn't like.... I didn't quite follow that poster's logic (which is probably best because I don't think there was much logic there ). :shrug:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Thank you class of 2007.

Thank you for making a judgement based on my age, I didn't realize every post made on this board ever needed to be taken so seriously.

And I don't listen to DMB, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting jokingly about his eyebrows as if that meant anything.

I'll just go be an awesome pirate elsewhere.

MOFO!!!!!! :rockon:

Bunbury said:

Have you killed yet son?

diediemydarling.jpg

AtomicBono said:
I didn't realize every post made on this board ever needed to be taken so seriously.

Yet, you assume that mofo was being serious.

:sexywink:

It's all a joke everybody. No need to let it sink in.

Infinitum98 said:

We're donkeys because we have nothing better to do then bash other bands?? It seems like you got nothing better to do with your time then bash other people's posts.

Just because people say that DMB sucks, they aren't saying that they themselves are better, but if you wanna be a musician in this world, you have to face criticism. Even U2 get bashed by a lot of people, including their own fans on Interference. So deal with it.

How is anyone's time being wasted? If you don't want to take time to read this thread or post in it, you don't have to.

And people obviously do care, because a lot of people support my opinion and they are enjoying this thread.

My response had to do only with the unitelligent post that you made to start this thread. If you do not like them, thats great. No one said you had to. I certainly do not like Britney Spears, but I do not start threads titled I hate Britney because she has a big fake set of tata's. An argument which would parallel the complete foolishness of your opening argument below.

"Dave Matthews has the most boring voice ever. Just one line from American Baby is stuck in my head! I can't stand it, I hate this song and the band!!!!!!! "

Well thought out and informed. If I needed a trial lawyer I would hire you for the sheer brilliance in your argument. Maybe you could instead tell us about a band that few of us have heard of so we could listen to something new.

AtomicBono said:

YARR!

you hate them, that's fine, no one cares.

Some people are taking issue with the fact that this forum is clogged with negative garbage or threads that invite an arguement. Starting a thread about hating a band is nothing but shit stirring...

:lock:

Last edited:
myusernamehere said:
Some people are taking issue with the fact that this forum is clogged with negative garbage or threads that invite an arguement. Starting a thread about hating a band is nothing but shit stirring...

YES, Shit stirring...all these threads are shit stirring. Nothing else.

This is not needed on this forum.

PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE!

We are your forum elders trying to help the newbies to make Interference a better place. Why can't anyone see that? Why do you guys continue to argue with us?

DiGi said:
Jeff well said.

Its too bad all you donkeys who have nothing better to say than shit like "I can't stand his voice", "DMB sucks" or "He has the most boring voice ever", etc. don't get a clue. You are not nor ever will be 1% the musician that he is. If you do not like DMB or Coldplay or any other band discussed on this board good for you. If I could give you a quarter to spend at a vending machine to buy a clue I would give one to each of you. Stop wasting everyone's time with stupid ass threads that take less thought than that of which an ant is capable of.

One band after another gets bashed here. Go make your own board where people will care and stop posting here.

DiGi and Jeff are equivalent in their coolness and rightness.

American Baby has got a good groove. There's some good crunchy guitar after the "Stay" parts. The wind up toy box thing is overused, but it's an homage to U2's Stay. At least, DMB has good taste.

Also, I suppose I always get a bit annoyed when people talk trash about musicians who at least seem to be decent human beings. DMB has been involved with charitable causes from its outset, so there's a U2 parallel here (DMB tends to be more involved in environmental and educational causes, but whatever), and, again like U2, you have a band composed of guys who remain (well, maybe with the exception of Bono, LOL) humble, down-to-earth, and genuinely grateful for their success. They're family men who preside over concerts that are generally peaceful and low-key (drinking and smoking pot aside). And, like U2, they see that the fans get a good bang for their concert buck--the last time I saw them, they played for nearly three hours and frequently bantered happily with the crowd.

You don't have to like their music or anything, but man, no need to be so harsh about the individual human beings.

pax said:
Also, I suppose I always get a bit annoyed when people talk trash about musicians who at least seem to be decent human beings. DMB has been involved with charitable causes from its outset, so there's a U2 parallel here (DMB tends to be more involved in environmental and educational causes, but whatever), and, again like U2, you have a band composed of guys who remain (well, maybe with the exception of Bono, LOL) humble, down-to-earth, and genuinely grateful for their success. They're family men who preside over concerts that are generally peaceful and low-key (drinking and smoking pot aside). And, like U2, they see that the fans get a good bang for their concert buck--the last time I saw them, they played for nearly three hours and frequently bantered happily with the crowd.

You don't have to like their music or anything, but man, no need to be so harsh about the individual human beings.

:up: Great post, I completely agree.

I agree with the human beings thing. I'm sure they're great guys and nice fellows and all that jazz. I still think someone should burn down their stuido or something to keep them from recording any more.

pax said:

Not to mention that some of the opinions in this thread are really rude and disrespectful to people who like their music.

People should really think about the possible replies they get for the threads they start before they hit the submit button.
I was going to start a thread called "Bono needs to get his weave redone," ya know cuz it's my opinion, and if some of the arguments in this thread were true, I wouldn't be bombarded with nasty replies if I did. ;)

I particularly enjoyed when their tour bus dumped poop on people in Chicago last summer. Ok, maybe I just wanted to say poop because poop is such a good word. :lol:

Excellent posts from HeartlandGirl and pax :up: :up: :up:

And I agree with zoney and DiGi and everyone else who thinks "I hate" threads are useless. :up:

To add to what pax said, even if you don't like their music, DMB are worthy of respect for their musicianship alone. There is a lot of music out there that I don't particularly like but it's obvious the musicians are talented even if it's not what I want to listen to. I just don't get why people need to express 'hatred' for people who are just doing their thing, having fun, who are in a niche all their own, and whose music makes a lot of people extremely happy. DMB have a wonderful connection with their fans and as pax also said, are really great people. I am not a huge fan but have enjoyed the two DMB shows I've seen, really love a few songs, and one thing I really enjoyed was the spirit of the band, their connectedness, the sheer joy and chemistry they obviously experience when they play together. The jam band thing isn't really my thing but I really love DM's solo stuff and hearing him play guitar. I've also read that Dave's band are the highest paid touring musicians out there--although it's Dave's band he views them as equals and compensates them accordingly. You don't have to like the music to appreciate their musical and personal integrity and, again, their excellent musicianship.

The suggestion that someone should burn down a band's studio just because you don't like their music is, frankly, immature and ridiculous. I suppose I should just take the comment with a grain of salt yet it's sad to me that so-called music fans cannot appreciate the fact that there is something out there for everyone and that there are people for whom DMB's music means the world to them, just like U2 might mean to you. Why would you want to deny someone that enjoyment just because you don't like it?

To echo HeartlandGirl's sentiments, why not engage in an intelligent critique of their music rather than this ridiculous bullshit of "I hate it, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to record." :rolleyes:

And I don't want to ignore this thread either. I think it's an important discussion. As HG pointed out, many of us have been coming in here for years and it's disheartening to see what used to be a forum of intelligent discussions being reduced too often to a list of what people hate with no real thought put into the posts.

Back
Top Bottom