For Cat Lovers Only XIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know what I'm hoping to find here, but I'll go ahead and put this out there, anyway. Maybe just consider it a bit of venting.

A few months ago, my friend came back from hiking the Appalachian Trail. She had been hiking with her boyfriend, and came home well before finishing. She couldn't really afford a place of her own, especially when she had her cat with her. I offered her the extra room at my condo, provided our cats got along. Which they do.

However, my cat is 21 years old. He's a wee bit cranky. He is blind in one eye. He is losing his hearing. And, he's diabetic and has arthritis. He's part siamese, so he's always been very vocal, but he talks more the older he gets. I understand it is annoying, as he annoys the heck out of me, too sometimes. But some of the things she says and does is way out of line. I was prompted to post this just as she was telling his to shut the f* up and shooing him out of the kitchen with her foot. I've also seen her push him out of the way on other occasions or abruptly throw him off the counter or table (she allows her cat to do both, as do I, because I'll admit, my cat makes the rules). I've asked her not to do this, because of his arthritis, and if she wants him down, please just set him on the floor. Which she doesn't seem to do.

My cat is important to me. And while I know he can be a pain in the ass, I have different solutions for dealing with him in his old age, which I've shared with my roommate. I've had him since i was 7 years old and I'm seriously considering asking her to leave over this. We have an informal lease that states it can be ended at any time, for any reason, provided at least a months notice is given.

Her boyfriend has less than a month before he thinks he will finish the hike. He is planning on staying with his mom when he does and saving up some money. She was planning on staying here, until they both get some money together and can get a place together again. I don't need a roommate, I took her in because she needed a place to go that would allow her to have a cat.

So, I guess I want to know if anyone has any kind of experience with this. I won't lie...having the extra money is nice and I don't want to ruin the friendship over this. I don't really need the money, but preserving the friendship is important. Especially since we've lived together without any other problems. But, I have had this cat for a long time and his health and happiness is important to me. Any advice on what I can say to her to her without sounding like a bitch?

Although you don't owe her a long explanation about how and why your cat is important to you, the things you said here explain it pretty well. Maybe if she won't listen to what you've already been trying to say, reading something like this will. (Not necessarily meaning her reading it HERE), but maybe if you wrote something similar to her in a note, it might sink in a little more. I don't know, but good luck.
:hug: for your old kitty

Wow, I got angry just reading that!

Definitely say something to her, because she's behaving like a callous bitch (sorry, I know she's your friend and all, but it's true). If she can't respect that you want to make the final years of your much loved pet's life as happy and comfortable as possible, then she has a problem. I agree with BC, if you don't feel comfortable discussing it with her, then write her a note worded in a similar way to your post. If she doesn't react well to it, and it were me in your position, I'd be saying "good riddance." Not only is she disrespecting you after you've done her an immense favour, but she's essentially abusing your elderly cat, and probably causing him physical pain by pushing him off heights, etc.

Good luck.

Wow I got really angry reading that too. And feel really bad for your cat. Sheesh, 21 years old!! Give the cat a break. :angry:

She needs to follow your rules or GTFO. :|

Jasimen has been going into the cabinet underneath the kitchen sink and sleeping there. She is scared of everything and when I turned on the garbage disposal it didn't even phase her

ylime, 21? That's positively elderly for a cat, is it not? If someone so much as pushed my 93 year old grandmother, I'd go postal. I'd not have much more patience for anyone who did that to my elderly pet. If I were you, I'd tell your roommate in no uncertain terms that that behaviour will never be acceptable and if she can't learn a great deal more patience, she needs to start looking for a new place to stay :shrug: I completely understand not wanting to ruin a friendship, but VP is right, she's being very disrespectful, especially given your favour in taking her in.

ylime -- your friend needs to leave. You've already asked her to put the cat down onto the floor gently and you've already told her the ways you deal with him and want him dealt with, yet she won't do it. What makes you think she'll do it if you tell her again? Is she really a friend if she shows so little regard for something (a living something at that) you care very much about?

Give her the 30 day notice right now and let her figure out what she needs to do.

I got angry reading that too. Wtf 21 years old is REALLY old, how dare your friend treat him like that?
:| Sorry but what I'd do would be tell my friend to EITHER treat my cat like a fuckin' princess, or get the hell out of my house. It's that simple. Treats her own cat like royalty, and then yours, who is much older and more fragile, like shit? That is SO wrong.

We were privileged to have had Miss Purrl with us for 21-1/2 years, and I would give much to have her back again. That said, I can't tell you how upset I was to read of your "friend's" treatment of your old boy. I hope you can get it across to her just how old and fragile he is, and that the way she is treating him is harmful to him. I *so* hope she'll stop treating him badly, or just leave! :sad:

WTF! That poor kitty!:angry: That made me so upset to read that, I don't care how old that cat is, how annoying he be etc, there is no need to act that way to him or any animal for that matter.

Pretty much what everyone said is how I feel. That poor baby!

If that was my cat and I had a roommate doing that to him, I would give a fair warning than tell them to get out if they didn't stop.

Pretty much what everyone said about writing her if you can't tell her do that just tell her how you feel etc just like you did here.

I hope everything works out for you and your baby!:hug:

Here's the latest of the Duh faces collection. :lol: She just looked away sadly.
You gotta be careful sitting down outside here, if you stand up for just a minute, your chair will be claimed. :wink:
miepcharmant6.jpg

:lmao: at the meowing cat video. Makes my cat seem quiet.

And thanks everyone for your words of support. I wondered it I was just overreacting at the time, but I don't think I am. My cat and I are packaged deal.

I ended up writing my roommate an email and told her how I felt and gave her a warning that if she didn't cut it out, I would be asking her to leave. I don't think she was thrilled about it, but, she does adore her cat, so she at least understood where I was coming from and why I was being so defensive and willing to put him before her. I am watching her, though. :shifty:

It's funny. I haven't been to this forum in ages. When I started my current job, I didn't have the time. You all have made me realize (again) what makes this forum so addictive. :lol:

:hug:

It's funny. I haven't been to this forum in ages. When I started my current job, I didn't have the time. You all have made me realize (again) what makes this forum so addictive. :lol:

:hug:

I'm glad you're back. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom