For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it is ok if I vent to you guys. I have been bawling all day over my cat, Daytona. He has been diabetic for 2 1/2 years and he has been doing well up until the last couple weeks. All the sudden he started drinking massive water and peeing alot. He got lethargic and just looks rough. I took him to our vet and he took a blood test and called me back today. He says his diabetes is out of control and that his body looks like it is getting immune to his insulin. He gets two shots a day. The vet is having us up his insulin way up and if that doesn't work we will try a new kind but there is no gaurantee that it will work. He is 14 years old and I can't imagine not having him around. He is so sweet. I was laying on the bed bawling my eyes out over him and he comes up to me and starts licking my hand like he is comforting ME when it is him who is so sick!!! With upping the insulin comes the risk of diabetic shock which could kill him. In the past 2 1/2 years he has had 2 episodes which scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was able to force feed him Karo syrup to get his blood sugar up fast. If he does have one again and I am not here to help him he could die. Unfortunetly it is trial and error getting a new dose right. I just hope to God that it works.

Nuala said:
I hope it is ok if I vent to you guys. I have been bawling all day over my cat, Daytona. He has been diabetic for 2 1/2 years and he has been doing well up until the last couple weeks. All the sudden he started drinking massive water and peeing alot. He got lethargic and just looks rough. I took him to our vet and he took a blood test and called me back today. He says his diabetes is out of control and that his body looks like it is getting immune to his insulin. He gets two shots a day. The vet is having us up his insulin way up and if that doesn't work we will try a new kind but there is no gaurantee that it will work. He is 14 years old and I can't imagine not having him around. He is so sweet. I was laying on the bed bawling my eyes out over him and he comes up to me and starts licking my hand like he is comforting ME when it is him who is so sick!!! With upping the insulin comes the risk of diabetic shock which could kill him. In the past 2 1/2 years he has had 2 episodes which scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was able to force feed him Karo syrup to get his blood sugar up fast. If he does have one again and I am not here to help him he could die. Unfortunetly it is trial and error getting a new dose right. I just hope to God that it works.

Nuala, I am very sorry to hear about your cat. My wife and I will be praying for you both.

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
:hug: Hopefully the new litter makes a difference. What exactly do you mean it looks like pretzels? :giggle:

MsPurrl- I also love the pic of him in the litter box :cute:

http://www.naturesearth.com/ That's what he got, "Feline Pine". It's so radically different it'll take some getting used to for all of us.

Nuala it's hard to read your post...to read about what your poor cat is going through is difficult. I'm hoping for the best :hug:

Nuala and U2Dem -- I hope both of your kitties are able to get regulated and start feeling better very soon. And a big :hug: to you both.

Nuala said:

:sad: :sad: awww.. nuala hang in there girl! :hug: This is just breaking my heart reading this.. My cat is 14 yrs old and if this happened to her I would be bawling too.. just a wreck.. I know the day is going to come when her health is going to start to deteriorate but I hope it is much later.. a few years from now.. She is my very special "furry first child" and we are so close that when the time comes it is going to be one of the worst moments of my life that's for sure.

You have all the prayers I can muster just know that.. I hope Daytona gets better!:wink:

U2Dem not sure if changing Chloe's litter is a good idea right now with all her problems. It may make her even more reluctant to use the litter box.

Nuala I'm so sorry about your kitty. :( Sending prayers your way :hug:

That's what I was thinking too when I saw the stuff...I wasn't expecting something so radically different and I'm afraid she may not understand that it is in fact, litter.

One litterbox has the new litter, the other has the old litter. We'll see how that goes.

Nuala and U2D, my thoughts and prayers are with you both, and with your "furkids." We sure do love our little living creatures, don't we? Just know that we all feel what you are going through, and that we care about you. :hug: :hug:

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
One litterbox has the new litter, the other has the old litter. We'll see how that goes.

Oh good .. didnt realize you had two :up:

I wonder if Chloe's new litter is Feline Pine? The first time I bought it, I remember being surprised by how big the pellets are at first. Jack dug around a lot the first few times he tried it, but he likes it now, and he sneezes less because it's not as dusty as clay litter. Sometimes I think he's allergic to himself, because the poor little guy sneezes and gets watery eyes a lot.

Nuala said:
I just want to thank you all for your well wishes for Daytona. It helps me so much to know people are praying for him. I knew you guys would understand how much I love him. :hug:

We totally do understand and are right there with you! :hug: I love my cat so so much I can easily put myself in your shoes ...

U2Fanatic4ever said:
We totally do understand and are right there with you! :hug: I love my cat so so much I can easily put myself in your shoes ...

Same.

:( Poor kitties! :hug:

Posh is mad/feeling ill right now. She has bad cat acne at the moment so I rubbed it with alcohol swabs and now she's trying to make me feel bad (and succeeding) for doing it.

I'm getting ready to go on a trip, and Jack senses that something is up, since I've packed his toys and food and dishes. Now he's hiding on the bed under the comforter. He thinks I can't see him, but there's a Jack-sized lump in the middle of the bed :giggle:

Nuala said:

I have an older cat and reading that scares me. I'm lucky that so far, Pokey is perfectly healthy but I can't even imagine how I would deal with it if he were not. I hope you are able to get it under control. You and Daytona have my best. :hug:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm getting ready to go on a trip, and Jack senses that something is up, since I've packed his toys and food and dishes. Now he's hiding on the bed under the comforter. He thinks I can't see him, but there's a Jack-sized lump in the middle of the bed :giggle:

My Jack does that, too. :lol:

Sometimes, he hides under his own bed, which is even more hilarious.

Sorry to hear about your cats U2Dem and Nuala :hug: Maybe they'll get better don't lose your hope... :hug:
It gets to me when I read things like this... First because I also have a cat and I wouldn't know what I'd do without her... Second because if I ever work with these animals as a Vet I think it will be very difficult for me to tell bad news to the owners and to watch animal pain... But I guess that's something time teaches us...

BonoIsMyMuse said:

teehee! :lol:

my cat does the same.. she totally senses when we are getting ready to leave.. if we have a suitcase on the floor she will lay in it..or even on top of it saying: "take me with you... " :(

It's amazing how cats can make you feel SOOOOOOO guilty. They give you one pouty look or they ignore you, hide under the blankets, etc. They know exactly what to do to pull at our heartstrings.

My dear departed Miss Purrl always seemed to know when I was going away, especially when I got out my suitcase--she'd park herself in it and refuse to move. :lol: Callie and Fergus are more curious--sniffing everything.

When we used to bring Purrl home from the vet, we'd set the carrier on the floor and open the door. She'd walk out and plunk down in the floor with her back to us and ignore us for a while. :p

Everynow and then Chloe's back starts spasming and she's obviously very uncomfortable, she usually then scurries around and starts digging at her rear with her front paws. She's been doing this for a looong time now, and I just can't figure out what is wrong with her.

Thankfully she's still being active (as far as her usual activity goes). My dad got her a new catnip toy and she's been going NUTS with it. Otherwise there's still something wrong with her, we'll probably have to take her in to the vet next week so we can figure our what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom