For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoIsMyMuse said:
Somebody posted this over on LiveJournal :giggle:

0002xtyh

I'll have to make a Catster profile for Jack.

Here is the story to go along with this:

Mystery cat takes regular bus to the shops
Last updated at 13:13pm on 12th April 2007

Bus drivers have nicknamed a white cat Macavity after it has started using the No 331 several mornings a week.

The feline, which has a purple collar, gets onto the busy Walsall to Wolverhampton bus at the same stop most mornings - he then jumps off at the next stop 400m down the road, near a fish and chip shop.

The cat was nicknamed Macavity after the mystery cat in T.S Elliot's poem. He gets on the bus in front of a row of 1950s semi-detached houses and jumps off at a row of shops down the road which include a fish and chip shop.

Driver Bill Khunkhun, 49, who first saw the cat jumping from the bus in January, said: "It is really odd, the first time I saw the cat jumping off the bus with a group of passengers. I hadn't seen it get on which was a bit confusing.

"The next day I pulled up on Churchill Road to let a couple of passengers on. As soon as I opened the doors the cat ran towards the bus, jumped on and ran under one of the seats, I don't think any of the passengers noticed.

"Because I had seen it jump off the day before I carried on driving and sure enough when I stopped just down the road he jumped off - I don't know why he would catch the bus but he seems to like it. I told some of the other drivers on this route and they have seen him too."

Since January, when the cat first caught the bus he has done it two or three times a week and always gets on and off at the same stops.

Passenger, Paul Brennan, 19, who catches the 331 to work, said: "I first noticed the cat a few weeks ago. At first I thought it had been accompanied by its owner but after the first stop it became quite clear he was on his own.

"He sat at the front of the bus, waited patiently for the next stop and then got off. It was was quite strange at first but now it just seems normal. I suppose he is the perfect passenger really - he sits quietly, minds his own business and then gets off."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=447527&in_page_id=1770

elevated_u2_fan said:

Here is the story to go along with this:

Mystery cat takes regular bus to the shops
Last updated at 13:13pm on 12th April 2007

Bus drivers have nicknamed a white cat Macavity after it has started using the No 331 several mornings a week.

The feline, which has a purple collar, gets onto the busy Walsall to Wolverhampton bus at the same stop most mornings - he then jumps off at the next stop 400m down the road, near a fish and chip shop.

The cat was nicknamed Macavity after the mystery cat in T.S Elliot's poem. He gets on the bus in front of a row of 1950s semi-detached houses and jumps off at a row of shops down the road which include a fish and chip shop.

Driver Bill Khunkhun, 49, who first saw the cat jumping from the bus in January, said: "It is really odd, the first time I saw the cat jumping off the bus with a group of passengers. I hadn't seen it get on which was a bit confusing.

"The next day I pulled up on Churchill Road to let a couple of passengers on. As soon as I opened the doors the cat ran towards the bus, jumped on and ran under one of the seats, I don't think any of the passengers noticed.

"Because I had seen it jump off the day before I carried on driving and sure enough when I stopped just down the road he jumped off - I don't know why he would catch the bus but he seems to like it. I told some of the other drivers on this route and they have seen him too."

Since January, when the cat first caught the bus he has done it two or three times a week and always gets on and off at the same stops.

Passenger, Paul Brennan, 19, who catches the 331 to work, said: "I first noticed the cat a few weeks ago. At first I thought it had been accompanied by its owner but after the first stop it became quite clear he was on his own.

"He sat at the front of the bus, waited patiently for the next stop and then got off. It was was quite strange at first but now it just seems normal. I suppose he is the perfect passenger really - he sits quietly, minds his own business and then gets off."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=447527&in_page_id=1770

:lmao: omg that's brilliant!

^

That reminds me a lot of the way my dog Zeke plays with a few of the cats! They have such a great time romping around. :)

kellyahern said:
I made a vet appointment for Worf next week. She's had this little lump under her arm and at first I thought it was a bug bite, but she's had if for about a month. It doesn't seem to bother her that much, but since she's 13 I want to have it checked out.

:hug: Good vibes for Worf :hug:

Worf's vet appointment seemed to go okay. The vet didn't seem too worried about the lump because it was "soft" and I haven't noticed it getting any bigger (I think it's gotten smaller in the last week too). It could be just a fatty deposit or a cyst.

She said they could remove it and send it to the lab, but there might be a risk putting Worf under anesthesia at her age. She said just to keep an eye on it and if it gets any bigger then to bring her back in. Went ahead and did a blood test to make sure Worf's kidneys and liver are doing okay, just as a precaution (due to her age again) - they'll call me on Saturday with the results. The vet said that Worf looked pretty healthy for a 13 year old cat :).

As with every visit to the vet, Worf is now hiding from me and will probably be pretty mad at me until tomorrow :reject:.

Aw I'm glad the vet thinks its nothing serious. Excellent idea to do a blood panel at her age. I hope you have many more years with her :hug:

FDA: Pet food tainting might be intentional

WASHINGTON - Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their apparent protein content, federal officials said Thursday.

That’s one theory being pursued by the Food and Drug Administration as it investigates how the chemical, melamine, contaminated at least two ingredients used to make more than 100 brands of dog and cat foods.

So far, melamine’s been found in both wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South Africa suggest a third pet food ingredient, corn gluten, used in that country also was contaminated with melamine. That tainted ingredient has not been found in the United States, the FDA said.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

FDA investigators, meanwhile, are awaiting visas that would allow them to visit the Chinese plants where the vegetable protein ingredients were produced.

“Melamine was found in all three of those — it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that it may be intentional. That will be one of the theories we will pursue when we get into the plants in China,” Stephen Sundlof, the FDA’s chief veterinarian, told reporters.

Chinese authorities have told the FDA that the wheat gluten was an industrial product not meant for pet food, Sundlof said. Still, melamine can skew test results to make a product appear more protein-rich than it really is, he added. That raises the possibility the contamination was deliberate.

“What we expect to do with our inspections in China will answer some of those questions,” said Michael Rogers, director of the division of field investigations within the FDA’s office of regulatory affairs.

Blue Buffalo recalls products
Wilbur-Ellis Co., the U.S. importer of the tainted rice protein, said Thursday it was recalling all the ingredient it had distributed to five U.S. pet food manufacturers. The San Francisco company in turn urged its customers to recall any products that may be on store shelves.

So far, just two of those companies have done so: Natural Balance Pet Foods and Blue Buffalo Co.

Natural Balance, of Pacoima, Calif., announced a limited recall Monday of its Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Blue Buffalo, of Wilton, Conn., followed Thursday by recalling 5,044 bags of its Spa Select Kitten dry food. The company intercepted most of the kitten food before it reached distribution centers, company co-founder Billy Bishop said.

FDA officials would not release the names of the other two manufacturers that Wilbur-Ellis supplied, citing its ongoing investigation.

The FDA and Agriculture Department also were investigating whether some pet food made by one of the five companies supplied by Wilbur-Ellis was diverted for use as hog feed after it was found unsuitable for pet consumption.

“We understand it did make it into some hog feed and we are following up on that as well,” Sundlof said.

The FDA could not provide updated numbers of pet deaths or injuries due to the contaminated pet food. The agency has received more than 15,000 calls since the first recall was announced more than a month ago.

Has anyone tried Good Life cat food? I'm considering switching Jack's food. He currently eats Friskies Dental Diet, but the main ingredient in that is corn gluten, which makes me nervous considering all of the recalls lately. It sounds like Good Life includes all natural ingredients, including real meat and vegetables. I bet it's expensive, but if he likes it and it's better for him, I don't mind.

Here's their website: http://www.thegoodliferecipe.com/catsMainMeals.aspx

So I wandered in looking for some kittay pictures. So where are they? *taps foot*

I'm glad Worf is normal :hug:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Has anyone tried Good Life cat food? I'm considering switching Jack's food. He currently eats Friskies Dental Diet, but the main ingredient in that is corn gluten, which makes me nervous considering all of the recalls lately. It sounds like Good Life includes all natural ingredients, including real meat and vegetables. I bet it's expensive, but if he likes it and it's better for him, I don't mind.

Here's their website: http://www.thegoodliferecipe.com/catsMainMeals.aspx

There's no list of ingredients which to me is kinda odd. If the food is great, they would gladly publish the list of ingredients. All of the other info they publish is rather arbitrary if they won't even show you what's in the food.

Here's a few questions from somebody who's never owned cats: how do you feel about declawing?

Both sets of my grandparents had cats, so as a child I was around them a lot. None of them were declawed, and I don't really remember any damage to the furniture, although these were indoor/outdoor cats, so perhaps they took out their aggressions outside on the trees or something, lol. My Mom hates cats and I personally prefer dogs for a multitude of reasons but as far as apartment living goes, I'd love a pet and a dog just isn't feasible. Plus, dogs are a way bigger responsibility and a bigger expense. So I was thinking of getting 2 kittens when I finish law school. Maybe 2 brothers? The reason I want two is because when I get them I'll be home for 3 months studying for the Bar Ads so I can be around a lot when they're little, but then I'll be working pretty crazy hours so I don't want one of them to be lonely. A friend of mine who has a cat and is not home much at all says cats don't care if they're alone, and I have no idea having never owned one if this is the case or not. I just don't want it sitting there by itself from like 7 am to 7 pm or whatever. But then I figure, well don't most people have full time jobs? And a lot of them have only one cat, so maybe it's just my mistaken impression that it would be better for a cat to have a friend.

So: is it okay for a cat to be alone all day and would you declaw yours or do you find that to be inhuman? I'm a bit shocked that vets still declaw cats given that most of them will outright refuse to cut/clip dogs' ears (like Dobermans, Great Danes, etc) and say that there is no need to expose animals to painful surgery just for aesthetics or convenience. But then I've seen some people's homes and their cats have destroyed wooden door frames, couches, etc and that kind of freaks me out too.

Gah dont get me started on declawing. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach and I hate this subject. It's completely inhumane and even banned in most countries. It's not just about the surgery either. Some declawed cats have long term medical issues because its basically cutting off their toes at the joints, not just the claws. They need their claws for balance, stretching, etc. There are plenty of other alternatives to declawing. Neither of my cats destroy my furniture. They have plenty of scratching posts and cat trees and they know how to use them. Scratching is a normal function of a cat. I feel that if someone is not prepared to deal with the fact that their cat may claw their furniture, they shouldnt get cats.

Anyway I'll just post a couple of links, which I find very informational.

http://www.petstation.com/declaw.html

http://www.westonkaanimalhospital.com/declawalt.html

Nail caps you can put on your cats claws

www.softpaws.com

I think for people who are not home a lot, two cats are better than one. I'm gone about 9 hours a day and my two keep each other company.
Though they usually do fine alone as well as most cats usually spend the entire day sleeping anyway.

Hey you're in the cat thread now, you can never go back!!!

My opinions on declawing - I don't do it because I don't see the need to. It's pretty pointless these days, with all the info on training and all the cool toys and scratching posts that are available. That said, two of mine ARE front declawed. They were declawed before I adopted them and were both done at such a young age and at such low body weights that they recovered almost instantly. Neither of them bite or have behavioral problems because of the declaw. I read more and more that one can expect a cat to have behavioral problems after a declaw, but in my experiences, the WORST biters were cats that had claws, but their owners let them nip at hands and didn't train them early on not to bite. However, I think declawing a cat after it is more than a few months old or three pounds is inhumane because the more they weigh, the more it hurts and the older they are, the more likely it seems that they would develop a behavior problem or a temperament change because of the declaw. Also, like I said, Posh isn't declawed because I don't think it's necessary for any reason. It's not that difficult to train cats where they should be scratching, and claws are completely manageable as long as you provide things for scratching. Our cats prefer sisal and corrugated cardboard, not posts just covered in regular carpet. If you got kittens, there would be absolutely no reason to declaw them because they will be so young you can train them where to scratch and where not to scratch. Clipping their nails is very easy. You can also get Soft Paws if the cat doesn't take well to training. I've never trained Posh where to scratch because I'm lazy and don't really care that much about my couch. Once it's destroyed enough, I'll just get a slip cover. Training her was my responsibility and I didn't do it, so I can deal with her scratching the couch.

As for leaving cats alone, it's OK as long as they have enough toys and stuff to stimulate them. Also, if you get two that would be good so they have a companion and playmate. When I'm home/awake, I let the cats sit on my lap and play with them as much as they want and they are fine. These days, they pretty much ignore all their toys in favor of chasing each other around and wrestling. If you're not going to be around much, I'd not get a Siamese since they are borderline dogs in how they demand attention and can be very stubborn.

I would get a boy and a girl or two boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom