Count the leechers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sicy said:
Ha.. funny, but that one wont be getting approved. :wink:
:angry: You're no fun.

But fine, I'll post it here anyway:

leechjg8.gif

elevated_u2_fan said:

It's all about the lurking... I've been a professional lurker since 2002 and even before that I would always check Interference on a weekly basis, I'm now lurking on the forums on a daily basis. :reject:

I will go on record as saying I have never asked for a download before, I prefer to wait for the officaial version. I have nothing against people who do but I personaly would rather own a copy...:nerd:

Why lurk? Why don't you come out and play? Most of us are nice.

redhotswami said:

:lol: Not that I'm recommending this :macdevil: but...

One weekend night in college, we didn't get pass to go out, and had to stay in. We also didn't have TVs and weren't allowed to listen to music. So...we went on this e-mail war, and signed each other up for all sorts of pr0n sites. Even though that was many years ago, I still get e-mails from some of these people. :grumpy:

Oh and I just thought of something...we can e-mail them and clog their inboxes will requests for the song.

You needed a pass to go out? No TV and no music?:huh:

That's like a prison, not college:(

The pr0n site trick is a classic though, so good on ya:wink:

redhotswami said:

You didn't e-mail your mum the new song yet? :sad:

She's told me she heard it the other day, thought it was pretty disappointing. I literally went ' :shocked: '
But thats probably because she only has the beach clip version downloaded :wink:

Wow. I've been registered since, I think, Nov 02, and have about 35 posts or something. Mostly in the last few weeks - before windows - I got caught up in a Pop debate and just haven't faded back into the woodwork yet. But I did grab a copy of windows from some kind soul and passed it on to several other people on the "how do i get the new u2" thread.
I thought it was kind of cool, looking at that thread, that there were so many people who *wanted* to hear the new song. That's what it's about - the music, getting it out to more people, sharing it, blah blah blah. Even if I hang aound here long enough to make it to blue crack addict, I can't imagine ever being anything but happy that there *are* people in the woodword who do* want to hear U2. god bless the silent fans.

I think the reference is more for users that just sign up, have one post and that post is to request the song.

Like we got over 200 registered users in the last couple of days, and they all headed straight to request the song.

It must be annoying for the people who have been on this site for years sharing pictures/music and stuff.
I'm a lurker, not a leecher though!

partygirlvox said:
It must be annoying for the people who have been on this site for years sharing pictures/music and stuff.
I'm a lurker, not a leecher though!

Hmm... I just can't see it as leeching. What I mean is, I'm not giving up anything except time (and not much of that) by passing on my U2. Leeching implies that something is being taken away from someone.
But, yes, if I were going to be tarred with an L epithet, I would prefer lurker. So much more mysterious :)

Utoo said:
Let's go to the Where the Album Has a Name forum & count how many people have crawled out of the woodwork to get a copy of the new song!

Example: Member since 2001, 44 posts. Member since November 2006, 2 posts (an email post and a thank you post).

Come one, come all! :lol:

Hello there, had to laugh when I came across this cos I'm pretty sure that I'm the 44 posts person you mentioned I'm afraid. Anyway, just thought I'd respond. Firstly, I never realised that what people here call 'leeching' was a big problem. I'm probably as big a U2 fan here as anyone for starters. I'm only 21 but I've already seen them live 17 times. I'm broke this year due to all the traveling to see them last year. Anyway, I guess that's not really the main pont. I just wanted to show that I'm not a half-arsed fan.

Regarding downloading the song, I can't see the big problem. I didn't ask anyone to e-mail it to me. I just downloaded what somebody else uploaded and thanked them for it. I appreciate that you'll say the site wouldn't survive without people constantly posting etc but for me it's completely acceptable to join and then just post when you feel the need to do so. I'm always staggered by the amount of posts that some people have made, in the thousands for many people. I think that's cool but I don't have enough interest to spend that much time at a computer to be quite frank. It doesn't mean I'm any less of a U2 fan or anything like that. Anyway, just that I'd respond to give you some insight in to the psyche of someone who crawls out of the woodwork for such occasions! Cheers

Ha! I see that I've only been a member since 2004 so I was not the one you were referring to after all. Nonetheless, everything I said still applies!

Re: Re: Count the leechers!

DublinGuy said:

Hello there, had to laugh when I came across this cos I'm pretty sure that I'm the 44 posts person you mentioned I'm afraid. Anyway, just thought I'd respond. Firstly, I never realised that what people here call 'leeching' was a big problem. I'm probably as big a U2 fan here as anyone for starters. I'm only 21 but I've already seen them live 17 times. I'm broke this year due to all the traveling to see them last year. Anyway, I guess that's not really the main pont. I just wanted to show that I'm not a half-arsed fan.

Regarding downloading the song, I can't see the big problem. I didn't ask anyone to e-mail it to me. I just downloaded what somebody else uploaded and thanked them for it. I appreciate that you'll say the site wouldn't survive without people constantly posting etc but for me it's completely acceptable to join and then just post when you feel the need to do so. I'm always staggered by the amount of posts that some people have made, in the thousands for many people. I think that's cool but I don't have enough interest to spend that much time at a computer to be quite frank. It doesn't mean I'm any less of a U2 fan or anything like that. Anyway, just that I'd respond to give you some insight in to the psyche of someone who crawls out of the woodwork for such occasions! Cheers

well said

bgmckinney said:

Hmm... I just can't see it as leeching. What I mean is, I'm not giving up anything except time (and not much of that) by passing on my U2. Leeching implies that something is being taken away from someone.
But, yes, if I were going to be tarred with an L epithet, I would prefer lurker. So much more mysterious :)

Some could say that you are being used for your generosity. It can get pretty old after emailing the 200th person the same track. If it was for a track that will never see the light of day that's understandable. However for a track that's being released in a couple of days... why?? :crazy:

Re: Re: Count the leechers!

DublinGuy said:

Once again, as Sicy mentioned earlier, this thread was refering mainly to those who only come to download one song then never to see the light of day here again. The "post when you want to" theory is completely legitamite. There are well seasoned veterans here that literally post once in every six months or so. That being said the "grab & go" theory of membership isn't the same and doesn't sit well for a lot of people.

Cleasai said:

Some could say that you are being used for your generosity. It can get pretty old after emailing the 200th person the same track. If it was for a track that will never see the light of day that's understandable. However for a track that's being released in a couple of days... why?? :crazy:

So I have a question. Why do you do it in the first place? I mean I don't get tired of emailing the 200th person the same track because I don't email the first person the track. If you don't like doing it, don't do it. And don't read the posts either (they aren't hard to spot) if you find them annoying. :shrug:

(obviously the mods don't have the choice of just ignoring all the posts -- although if the member who just post in them to complain about newbies leeching stopped posting in the threads I bet the vast majority would rapidly sink out of sight and then they -- the mods -- wouldn't have to be concerned about them either)

Well, I started this thread at first because it was pretty funny. New song gets leaked, and this place is swamped by new people asking for it. I painted lurkers the color of leechers because when you've been here for 4 years and have posted 30 times, the first thing that comes to mind (at least for me) is that your 30 posts have been with regard to 1). Window, 2). beach clips (maybe), 3). leaked HTDAAB tracks, 4) maybe leaked ATYCLB tracks, and 5). information about a concert in your town.

I'm kind of on the fence about lurking. I have a few friends who lurk on various forums & post more on others. Part of me can totally see how one might want to use the site mainly for news and rumors. That's all good. And I can totally see how one would want to get in on the action when a new track or leaked track is being circulated.

The part that gets annoying is that this----the forum section, at least---is kind of a community. The news section on the main page--no. The forum section, yeah. As a member of a community, you would kind of hope that people who benefit from you---be it your research on rumors or your posting/sharing of files---would at least contribute in some small way. The smallest way would be to at least say "thanks."

That's the most amazing and irritating part. Look through the WITS share threads. Count the members from Nov 2006 with 2 posts or members from 2001 with 40 posts----how many of them said "thanks?" It's just plain piss-poor, IMO. Selfish to want people to say 'thank you?' Maybe. But piss-poor nonetheless.

On a side-note, I'm surprised how many lurkers found this thread. Lemonade Stand is perhaps the one sub-forum where the most "community" occurs. Do you lurk in here? That makes no sense to me. There's no news, there's no sharing. There's just people chatting with each other, making games with each other, etc. Lurking in here is almost like watching the members of Interference on TV. "Haha...Canadiens just posted another funny thread!" To just watch the personal side of the community in action and not contribute...that's a little weird to me. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom