Coldplay Quit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bsp77 wrote: But hey, it is another chance for all you whiners to complain about Coldplay once again. Doesn't that ever get old?
hahaha...
the crappy band coldplay was on german tv show 'TV Total' last nite and they really sucked. they performed but i don't know the name of the song. i never seen such a crap performance. chris martin just can't sing. he is a whiny wanker. but hey for yor pleasure, hera are some nice photos of the show. i hope you like it. i don't...
18_coldplay_talk.jpg

17_coldplay_talk.jpg

20_coldplay_live.jpg

coldplay :down:

GibsonGirl said:

Okay, place your bets, everyone! I predict that Coldplay's next album will feature Chris Martin in leather pants, black hair, and oversized sunglasses. The rhythm section will discover dance beats, and Buckland will discover the Digitech Whammy pedal!

:hyper:

:lmao:

I guess Chris was just taking the piss? Or maybe he just wants to get ppl talking about Coldplay again since the album hasn't been the massive hit they were hoping for? :shrug:

I love Coldplay's first two albums. I think they're beautiful. I think they should maybe take some time to just be comfortable with who they are and what they do and stop the grand gestures they make on stage and on the new album. Their formula worked before, it'll work again.

HelloAngel said:
I guess Chris was just taking the piss? Or maybe he just wants to get ppl talking about Coldplay again since the album hasn't been the massive hit they were hoping for? :shrug:

X&Y not a massive hit? :scratch:

I read today that Coldplay aren't quitting and instead a band spokesperson confirmed that the band are working on new material.........so maybe they aren't taking a much needed break after all. :shrug: I think that could be a mistake. I like X&Y but there is such a thing as over-exposure. They need a break and we need a break from them.

who cares.
i like coldplay just fine. they're a completely unoffensive and watered down product.

like rolling rock - just fine after mowing the grass, it never hurts going down.
but it never really pays off either.

xy, rush of blood, parachutes....
they're all the same - collections of mostly same-y sounding songs, sounds, and rhythms with 2 or so real corking pop tunes. the rest mostly forgettable, but hardly regrettable. they take no chances.

i'm glad coldplay is around, but for such a passive act, i can't imagine how folks can be so passionately for OR against them.
and that statement from the mirror or whatever it was - it says absolutely nothing. completely noncommital, vague...just like coldplay. just like this post...:huh:

Last edited:
People really shouldn't take Chris Martin seriously. He has a very tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. He will make very self-effacing comments one minute and proclaim themselves the greatest band ever the next. He says a lot of this stuff to amuse himself based on things that the media says about them. He probably was just being cheeky when saying that everyone is fed up with them, especially considering he said it while picking up awards.

And, X&Y not a massive hit? It has been huge, on about the same scale as HTDAAB. Only Green Day has had a bigger rock album in the last couple years.

HelloAngel said:

I love Coldplay's first two albums. I think they're beautiful. I think they should maybe take some time to just be comfortable with who they are and what they do and stop the grand gestures they make on stage and on the new album. Their formula worked before, it'll work again.

X&Y has sold as much as HTDAAB now, and it sold 100,000 copies last week as well. Its on course to outsell ROBTTH easily. Worldwide, X&Y is the biggest selling album worldwide since its release in June 2005.

HelloAngel said:
Or maybe he just wants to get ppl talking about Coldplay again since the album hasn't been the massive hit they were hoping for? :shrug:

:coocoo:

digsy said:

Thanks, but I'm not coocoo.

My apologizes to the charties. From my vantage point, it seemed that X & Y wasn't doing spectacularly well, obvs. that's just not the case. Oh well. :shrug:

HelloAngel said:

My apologizes to the charties. From my vantage point, it seemed that X & Y wasn't doing spectacularly well, obvs. that's just not the case. Oh well. :shrug:

i think you're dead on, actually. obviously the album is doing just fine. solid. but considering the hype and expectations - it seemed that this was anticipated to be a release with a much bigger impact, 'joshua tree' type world domination seemed the expectation.
by that measure, it is a failure, and i'm sure the band are at least somewhat disappointed.

Personally I think X&Y isn't a failure in terms of sales (though I take on board and kinda agree with what Dudeman has said) but judging by a lot of the fans' reactions to it on here it's certainly been a failure in terms of many fans' enjoyment of it. X&Y does seem likely to become to Coldplay what 'Be Here Now' was to Oasis. (though I do love both albums)

dudeman said:

i think you're dead on, actually. obviously the album is doing just fine. solid. but considering the hype and expectations - it seemed that this was anticipated to be a release with a much bigger impact, 'joshua tree' type world domination seemed the expectation.
by that measure, it is a failure, and i'm sure the band are at least somewhat disappointed.

No rock album seems to be able to attain Joshua Tree type world domination. Maybe I will be proven wrong and I hope I am at some point, but I think X&Y did as well as can be reasonably expected today.

HelloAngel said:

sorry, the coocoo was maybe a slight overreaction! :reject:

its just the album has been huge here, Q voted it album of 2005, and the concerts have been damn tough to get tickets to aswell (well when i tried they were)
while a lot of people don't like Coldplay and some fans and non-fans alike aren't too happy with X&Y (i love it btw), i just think it slightly blindsided to call it unsuccessful

TheQuiet1 said:
Personally I think X&Y isn't a failure in terms of sales (though I take on board and kinda agree with what Dudeman has said) but judging by a lot of the fans' reactions to it on here it's certainly been a failure in terms of many fans' enjoyment of it. X&Y does seem likely to become to Coldplay what 'Be Here Now' was to Oasis. (though I do love both albums)

i think that's a great comparison.
:up:

dudeman said:

This is a good point :up:

It's good and solid, but it's no Sgt. Pepper, Joshua Tree, Automatic For The People or OK Computer.

as much as I'm not a fan of the x&y era, I don't see what's with all the commotion...the man admits to being a huge fan of u2 & radiohead among other bands so why keep saying the same thing in different wording over and over again?

at least they made two great debut & sophomore albums....that's more than most bands ...especially nowadays.

digsy said:

sorry, the coocoo was maybe a slight overreaction! :reject:

its just the album has been huge here, Q voted it album of 2005, and the concerts have been damn tough to get tickets to aswell (well when i tried they were)
while a lot of people don't like Coldplay and some fans and non-fans alike aren't too happy with X&Y (i love it btw), i just think it slightly blindsided to call it unsuccessful

Not to split hairs, but I didn't call it unsuccessful. But from my personal vantage point (and resources that I read, listen to and learn from), the album didn't exactly seem like a big hit compared to the stratospheric heights and ubiquity that the others appeared to have. Obviously it is. I'm fine with it. I'm not a Coldplay hater. I've been a huge fan since they've been going. It's called perspective.

as much as I dislike Coldplay;s recent work, people said the same things about U2 before Achtung Baby

it's probably an extended break after touring to get some newer material, hopefully more like Parachutes/Rush of Blood or a new area entirely

well as it happens i'd be a whole lot happier if i never had to listen to that whining voice ever again, so yeah it would affect my own little world,inmyplace13, is that your age, or IQ?

None of this should come as any surprise. Coldplay are hitting their 30's with only 3 albums to their name. Most groups in their 20's are prolific and then taper off as they age. If Coldplay follow that form it'll be at least 5 yrs. until the next album and then 6 yrs. to the follow-up. Seems like Martin is just stating the obvious; that they're slow and gonna get slower.

jimmmm said:
well as it happens i'd be a whole lot happier if i never had to listen to that whining voice ever again, so yeah it would affect my own little world,inmyplace13, is that your age, or IQ?

Coincidentally, it's both.

And just don't listen to it then.

Back
Top Bottom