BTW, Red Hot Chili Peppers' "By the Way" is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Se7en said:

I'm pretty sure this guy is a genius. I think he has so much upstairs that it's hard for him to let it all out...hence his past with drugs and his current "problem" with having a hard time finding the right words in discussions or interviews. I think to someone unfamiliar with him, he would come across as "slow." I feel quite the opposite.

I completely agree.

I absolutely love this album. There's not a weak track on it. Universally Speaking, Zephyr Song, Midnight, Cabron, Tear. SO FREAKING GOOD. And I think Dosed is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Please tell me they're touring to support the album.

Just heard three songs they played at Ellis Island on K-rock here in NY.

Everyone is right on, this album has it all. I'm too lazy to look at what the songs are, but my favorites are #5, 7 and the song about not watching TV.

The ska sounding song, #12?, got me thinking that RHCP where teaming up with No Doubt.

Mick

Right now I believe they're touring Asia/Europe...I will be expecting them back home this Winter...at least that's what I'm hoping for. To my knowledge there is no official info of a US tour.

Speaking of Chili Peppers.....

Did anyone catch the video documentary (dutch maybe) on heroion abuse which included a clip of John Frusiante all doped up in a squalor pad talking about his addiction?

Apparently, the film crew was just trying to get some footage and some interviews with local junkies when they noticed that Frusiante from the chili peppers was there.

I'm glad to see he seems to be recovering.

Mick

I haven't really listened to anything else since I got this album. Great. Much better than Californication.....Caaaaaaabron..Caaaaabron!!!!!!!!

Re: Speaking of Chili Peppers.....

McGlinn said:

I'm glad to see he seems to be recovering.

I'm pretty sure he entered rehab in '97 and has been clean every since. But for 3 or 4 years though he hit rock bottom...complete and utterly. That footage of him all strung out gives me the creeps. He had totally lost his mind at that point in time. Heroin = sucks.

Have I mentioned yet that I'm obsessed with this record? It's the only thing I want to listen to. It's my favorite record in about 10 years, I swear. I love everything about it. Every song. I hear nods to the Beach Boys, Elvis Costello, Jimmy Page and then just a whole lot more of what the Peppers do best.

I agree with what's been said about Frusciante...I think he's operating on a whole other genius plane.

As for how it compares with Californication, I think Rolling Stone said it best about this album:

"Apparently Californication was only foreplay."

I listened to the album the whole weekend. This could be their best album ever. It's that fucking good. Cabron is awesome! Minor Thing is my favorite track right now.

I picked this up on Sunday. Haven't had a chance to listen to all of it LOUD yet. Kiddos picked up on the F word on the first listen in the car. :rolleyes:
There are about 4 songs that I listen to over and over! Only really it has just wet my appetite for Californication which has now been in my cd player non stop since yesterday morning! :huh:

I don't know why I am spending money on all of this new music when I should be saving for the U2 feast starting in the fall! :love:

So this morning I'm thinking that everyone should enjoy songs like "Midnight" and "On Mercury" and "Don't Forget Me" while they're fresh because they are sure to be singles and once they hit the airwaves and MTV, omg, they will be on heavy rotation like "Under the Bridge," "Californication" and "Scar Tissue" multiplied by a thousand....

UnforgettableLemon said:
On MTV's website, it says "The Zephyr Song" is the next single...

Now all we need is "Dosed"...

Really, Zephyr? Both Zephyr and Dosed are my two least favorites, actually (my ONLY minor complaint about the whole record is that I don't really like the vocals on "Dosed" and so far it's the only song I am starting to skip. But I still like it, I just get anxious for the ones I like more). Zephyr is a great summer Beach Boys-ish kind of song, though.

But I still think it's all leading up to the big smash hit on the record, "Midnight". Midnight = Under the Bridge. Anyone else agree with that?

But like I said before, there are so many songs on this record that sound like singles that I think we're going to be hearing it for the next 2-3 years.

from mtv.com....thought this was beautiful and an excuse to boost this thread:

When the Peppers started working on the record last year, Kiedis was head over heels in love with his then-girlfriend and the world seemed rife with promise and possibility.

"I was madly in love with life and with music and everything," the singer said. "I was just connecting with the cosmos. There were times that my heart was so incredibly open to feeling all of the love in the universe that I felt like writing about it."

Kiedis' passion rubbed off on his bandmates, and they started creating sweeping, romantic songs that reverberated with joy and a renewed thirst for discovery. By the Way is like no other Chili Peppers album. The group has downplayed its trademark white boy punk-funk in favor of more textural and impressionistic sounds. Jangly rhythms duel with abrupt, pointed passages, wobbly guitar melodies mingle with sturdy basslines, and lush, stirring strings swim with plaintive arpeggios. The experimentation and composition are striking, enabling the band to add chaotic scribbles of noise to strummy pop parts without sounding forced. Many of the more creative passages were written by Frusciante.

"Oddly enough, while we were working on the record I broke up with this person who was bringing all this love out in me," Kiedis revealed. "I still love her, but I had the beauty of the break-up pain to draw from."

...'the beauty of the break-up pain...' wow, I get that completely.

Last edited:
Man I am so broke but heck I'm buying this tomorrow, feck ya'll!!!:D Ye doing a good job selling it anyway! Is there ANYONE out there who dislikes it or is getting remotely tired of it??

lazyboy said:
Man I am so broke but heck I'm buying this tomorrow, feck ya'll!!!:D Ye doing a good job selling it anyway! Is there ANYONE out there who dislikes it or is getting remotely tired of it??

I'm following this story on two forums (read: obsessed) and so far every single person who has bought and listened to the record is pretty much ecstatic about it. I'd say it might hurt your wallet if you're broke but it will lift your spirits considerably!

Nah I'm there, broke or not, won the exact price of it playing cards tonight so there's no going back now:p Hopefully add my "whoaaaaaaaa, fuckin wicked album!!" comment tomorrow:D

me again.

just for fun, I lurked over in the chili peppers' forum (first time ever) to see what the hardcore fans think of this record and, no surprise, they are insane with joy. so that's 3 forums of happy peppers.

now, can somebody hook me up with a 12-step program before i lose all touch with reality? lol...

Last edited:
ok so i'm talking to myself at this point

misheard lyrics:

"I'm a no show in your bedroom"

(actual: "I'm an ocean in your bedroom")

joyfulgirl said:
But I still think it's all leading up to the big smash hit on the record, "Midnight". Midnight = Under the Bridge. Anyone else agree with that?
umm, no
I think "Dosed" would be the best 2nd single

I like the album
but even Simon & Garfunkel rocker harder at times

Salome said:
umm, no
I think "Dosed" would be the best 2nd single

I like the album
but even Simon & Garfunkel rocker harder at times

Everyone loves "Dosed" except me--I think it's the weakest tune on the disc. I like it lyrically, but vocally and musically it's almost lame to me, but clearly it's just me.

Also, I wasn't talking about what would be the best 2nd single, but rather I think eventually "Midnight" is going to be big.

It's not a hard-rocking record for sure, but it still works for me. It's refreshing to me in its lightness, and I love the ska and latin influences.

Last edited:
Se7en said:
I would like to see Minor Thing as a single.

love that song! so many songs with single potential...

What do you guys think of "Warm Tape"? I'm just starting to pay attention to it and it sounds vaguely David Lynchian to me.

joyfulgirl said:

love that song! so many songs with single potential...

What do you guys think of "Warm Tape"? I'm just starting to pay attention to it and it sounds vaguely David Lynchian to me.

I don't like the verses much as far as the music and vocals go, but nice lyrics. The chorus however, is godlike.

UnforgettableLemon said:

I don't like the verses much as far as the music and vocals go, but nice lyrics. The chorus however, is godlike.

godlike chorus--love that!

i love this song. it's weird. and like i said, reminds me of a david lynch twin peaks soundtrack or something--like julie cruise or something. i love the juxtaposition of the twin peakish surreal 'shiver for me now ... deliver for me my darling' with the hard godlike chorus. very strange and wonderful.

Chad Smith is a dead sexy bitch

I've always liked the Peppers but they're one of those bands whose stuff I've never gotten around to buying. I keep seeing BloodSugarSexMagik every time I go on a used cd buying binge, is that a good one to start with?

Love the new single, but I liked the stuff off Californication a bit more. :yes:

K this kinda feckin rocks! Nice tip guys! :yes:
Faves so far, Zephyr Song and Can't Stop.

Popangel, I ain't no Chilli's expert, only bought this 1. But I had Californication and BSSM for ages and well, if you were gonna buy one to start off I'd go with Californication, much easier to take in than BSSM, that took a bit of time with me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom