books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Mount Misery by Samuel Shem yesterday. It's the sequel to The House of God, which was excellent. They're both a lot like Catch-22, very sarcastic, but these two are about doctors instead of the military.

I finished The Kite Runner about a week ago as well. What a wonderfully written book. I nearly cried at a few parts, and I honestly don't cry often. It's set in Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion, then during the Taliban era. It's a touching book, I'd highly recommend it. :up:

ylimeU2 said:

Are you talking about the one by Geraldine Brooks? It is very good. But I think there are some better books on the topic. First, it was published in 1995, and I found it to be a little bit dated by the time I read it. She also covered a lot of different topics, so it left me wanting to know more, which can be a good or bad thing, but in her case, I wish she had gone more in depth with some of the stuff she wrote about. But overall, it is well worth reading. :up:

yeah, that's the one I meant! It's about women and Islam right? Not just women in Islam but in the East generally.... I think I want to read it, being from the East myself. :hmm:

onebloodonelife said:

I finished The Kite Runner about a week ago as well. What a wonderfully written book. I nearly cried at a few parts, and I honestly don't cry often. It's set in Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion, then during the Taliban era. It's a touching book, I'd highly recommend it. :up:

My husband's reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now (I think it comes out near the end of next month). He didn't like The Kite Runner very much, though, so I'm not really sure why he's reading it!

I'm reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen in addition to far too many books on management. :( Now I'm kind of eager to finish The Corrections (even though I'm enjoying it) because I want to read Falling Man by Don Delillo before the end of the month.

^Haven't read that since college. You're kind of reminding me I should read it again.

Last week I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was only okay. It started out very promising, but I ended up skimming towards the end.

Too much focus on one half of the story/set of characters, and a lot of the dialogue was unbelievable - as in "Honestly, who talks like that in real life?"

Now I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (one of the TV critics at Entertainment Weekly. It's pretty good so far - a former cutter, working at a smaller newspaper in Chicago, goes to her tiny hometown to do a story about a possible serial killer.

The Alchemist sounds interesting :hmm: I've never read his books before.

I might be going today to the gigantic, nice library right down the road to check out catcher in the rye and if I like it maybe buy a copy of it, no I didn't read it in high school :reject:

I used to read alot of fiction when I was younger but have been reading alot of non-fiction lately and stuff on the internet and would like to start reading more fiction books again.

The next books that I want to read after catcher in the rye are atlas shrugged by Ian Rand and then Hamlet.

Last edited:
Babydoll said:

yeah, that's the one I meant! It's about women and Islam right? Not just women in Islam but in the East generally.... I think I want to read it, being from the East myself. :hmm:

Yup! It is still worth reading, really quite fasinating. Just a little dated is all.

Babydoll said:
Since we all know Paul Coello's The Alchemist was awesome, anyone read his other, 11 Minutes?

I have. I liked it even better then The Alchemist. All of his books are amazing. 11 Minutes is probably my favorite. Veronika Decides to Die is also incredible.

corianderstem said:
Last week I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was only okay. It started out very promising, but I ended up skimming towards the end.

Too much focus on one half of the story/set of characters, and a lot of the dialogue was unbelievable - as in "Honestly, who talks like that in real life?"

Thanks for the review, I've got The Memory Keepers Daughter on my list to read. Maybe I will re-consider as I get bored when stories are written as you describe.

I've got a ways to go anyway as I'm still reading the Outlander series of books by Diana Gabaldon and they are each volumes of over 800 pages. I just ordered the last one A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I figure I should be done with all of these by mid summer.

Bumped up book threads :love:

I'm currently nearly done with Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I've got about 70 pages left, so I should have it done in no time. It's a good book, a classic sort of mystery-detective story, with a huge supernatural twist, which turns out to be a part of the much bigger Dark Tower arc. I had some trouble getting into it at first, despite having just finished (and enjoyed immensely) The Talisman, of which Black House is the sequel. What really threw me off about Black House at first is the writing style, it was a complete departure from King's usual style, and instead was a sort of almost-second person, screenplay type style, and quite overly descriptive at the beginning, but once I got past that, and got to some actual plot, it sucked me in.

No idea what I'll read next :hmm: I think after reading two such thick novels back to back, I'd like to go for something short. The Picture of Dorian Gray is on my to-read list, so I think I'll go for that next. And then afterward, a reread of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, to go ahead and get that out of the way before Deathly Hallows comes out :wink:

*browneyedgirl* said:
I've seen all the Stephen King movies and :love: but never read the books, I envy the readers.
I read The Shining for the first time last year, after having grown up seeing the movie so many times. The differences are astounding. While the movie is fantastic on its own, and Kubrick did a great job with it, it really doesn't capture the essence of the book well. In my opinion, it leaves too much out (although some of the things it added were excellent additions), and changes the ending.

So what I'm trying to say is, read the books :wink:

ylimeU2 said:

I have. I liked it even better then The Alchemist. All of his books are amazing. 11 Minutes is probably my favorite. Veronika Decides to Die is also incredible.

Ah thanks! Must definitely get it from the library.... :drool:

i picked up three books last night thanks to a gift certificate my mom gave me for christmas. the other two are in my car and i've already forgotten what they're called, but right now i'm reading other voices, other rooms.

I'm reading about Amy Tan's life in The Opposite Of fate - Memories Of A Writing Life.

She's doing a reading and signing at one of the branches in our district and I can't wait to meet her.

I just read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

It pretty much blew my mind, I have never read anything so amazing. Now my summer goal is to read all of Dostoyevsky's greats, like The Idiot and whatnot. Oh man I'm so excited. :drool:

vivalapopedge said:
i just did a massive research project for a school class on "all quiet on the western front", a book about soldiers in WWI, and i think it's one of the best books i've ever read. i can't do it justice here, but trust me, i'm glad i chose that for a three month research project over something else :heart:

Ha, I did a paper on this book last semester! An absolutely gorgeous book. I remember I saw the film in grade 10 history class and was thoroughly unimpressed, but the book is amazing!

meegannie said:

My husband's reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now (I think it comes out near the end of next month). He didn't like The Kite Runner very much, though, so I'm not really sure why he's reading it!

:hmm: Interesting, I'll have to check out A Thousand Splendid Suns when it comes out. Do you happen to know why your husband didn't like The Kite Runner?

i'm finally reading catch 22 and enjoying it. i love the writing style and the just little things that make me laugh. the cautionary tale curriculum gets old and even if this falls under that category maybe a little, the irony is done right and i love it :heart:

i wanted to check out breakfast of champions because that's the one i havent read by kurt vonnegut. but our school library blows and has like no vonnegut. lame. :tsk:

onebloodonelife said:

:hmm: Interesting, I'll have to check out A Thousand Splendid Suns when it comes out. Do you happen to know why your husband didn't like The Kite Runner?

Okay, apparently I was wrong, and he did like it (I really should find out these things before I speak for other people! :reject: ). He said he didn't like the main character, though. Here's his review:

"I enjoyed The Kite Runner. But it was all just a little too easy. The subject of childhood regret is like a scenic spot that has been visited too often; the emotional centre so contrite and self-indulgent it feels like a get-out-of-jail-free card; the setting in Afghanistan certain to elicit bursts of pity from its globally conscious readership but in style, structure, characters and plot it is inherently a ‘Western’ novel. It is like a Butlins in Kabul.
Read this book. Its clear, uncluttered prose is sometimes beautiful and the emotional honesty of its author gives it a clarity that many bestsellers lack. It is a perfect paperback: light, easy to read and moving. It is no wonder Khaled Hosseini has received glowing praise. But at no point did I feel the breath being sucked out of me as my mind whirled to comprehend how I had been lucky enough to stumble upon a book of this magnitude. For me, that is what sets apart a great book from the rest."

Reading several books at once. :crack:

The Kite Runner -
I'm a few chapters in. I had to quit about a month ago since I had so many books to read this semester. I can't even remember where I stopped. At least its a quick read.

Lolita (on tape) -
Picked this up from got_edge. Jeremy Irons narrates it in his :combust: voice. I'm on the 4th section of like...40. It's going to take me a while. I've never done a book on tape before. You really need a good reader though, one who puts emotion into it and such. It's easy for me with Jeremy Irons since I've already watched the remake of it with him as Humbert Humbert. I can visualize everything. I'm not sure this will be a good thing once it gets to the pedophile bits. :uhoh:

Animal Farm -
Just picked this up today after GibsonGirl sent me a copy. I've read it before, but I was 14 and reading it on my own. Now I can appreciate it. :drool:

The Children of Men -
Picked it up at the school bookstore and started reading it to pass the time. It was really really good. Well written and a lot different from the film version.

I also have Red Dragon waiting for me, too. :hyper:
AND! I want to re-read all the Harry Potter books before I watch the 5th movie and buy the 7th book. :hyper:

PlaTheGreat said:

Lolita (on tape) -
Picked this up from got_edge. Jeremy Irons narrates it in his :combust: voice. I'm on the 4th section of like...40. It's going to take me a while. I've never done a book on tape before. You really need a good reader though, one who puts emotion into it and such. It's easy for me with Jeremy Irons since I've already watched the remake of it with him as Humbert Humbert. I can visualize everything. I'm not sure this will be a good thing once it gets to the pedophile bits. :uhoh:

I'm not usually one to endorse movies based on books, but the version of Lolita starring Jeremy Irons was so good. He makes Humbert Humbert more sympathetic than I thought possible. I should reread it soon and rent the movie again.

Once for an extra credit assignment in college, I had to rewrite a fairy tale in the style of an author we'd studied that semester. I rewrote Little Red Riding Hood a la Lolita. I think the first line was something like "Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper." That assignment was so much fun.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
"Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper."

:lol: Awesome!

I'll second the Jeremy-Irons-version of the movie. And I looooved that book.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I'm not usually one to endorse movies based on books, but the version of Lolita starring Jeremy Irons was so good. He makes Humbert Humbert more sympathetic than I thought possible. I should reread it soon and rent the movie again.

I loved the Jeremy Irons version. I felt no connection to the Kubrick Humbert Humbert at all. With Irons it was this criminal compassion I had for him. They included nothing of his past in the old movie.
"Don't touch me! I'll die if you touch me!" :sad:
That really broke my heart, the old devil.
Once for an extra credit assignment in college, I had to rewrite a fairy tale in the style of an author we'd studied that semester. I rewrote Little Red Riding Hood a la Lolita. I think the first line was something like "Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper." That assignment was so much fun.

:lmao:
That's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom