All Things Australia-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The zoo in Salt Lake only has one Australian animal, a red kangaroo. And all he does is lay in the sun and scratch his balls.

I'd say that I wish Melbourne Zoo was free, but I get a free peek every time I go past on the tram anyway.

This mainly involves seeing the kangaroos lying around doing nothing and the elephants standing around doing nothing.

Stupid animals. They should only be existing for my entertainment!

The zoo in Salt Lake only has one Australian animal, a red kangaroo. And all he does is lay in the sun and scratch his balls.

that kind of sucks. they're absolute beasts.

the Werribee Zoo is okay. definitely not free though. that's where Hamish and Andy dressed up as gorillas i think and they had the Bondi Vet bloke convincing the crowd their behaviour (drinking beers, playing slaps, getting into cars) was normal.

How to spot the locals at a zoo in Australia: they're the ones who walk past the kangaroo enclosure with a dismissive, been-there-seen-that look.

to continue from the last thread:

because i can...
oh and i haven't just seen a koala, i've held one. so much fun!

Why can't threads continue on ad infinitum, out of interest?
oh, just because the bigger a thread is, the more taxing it is on the server, etc.

i'm also trying to remember if the memphis zoo has anything aussie-ish. they do have two khanda panda bears though!

The zoo here in Perth is worth a look. It is quite small but big on Orangutans. It is right in the middle of a specky area with lots of rather exclusive homes, and have often wondered what would happen if the lions escaped. Oh, also big on sun bears which are absolutely the most gorgeous animals and the reptile house is awesome (though every time I look at the crocodile the feelings are of awe and fear - definitely would not like to come across one in the wild). Have to admit, the Australian exhibit is not a big fav.

I like the seal exhibit at Taronga, where you can watch them underwater - could stand there for hours. Dubbo zoo is great as well. Very impressed with them as we were traveling around Oz at the time with our German Shepherd who was getting elderly and they looked after her for the day (they have kennels) and spoilt her rotten (she didn't actually go in the kennel but hung out in the aircon office. :heart:

My favourite thing about the Adelaide zoo is not the pandas (but they are pretty adorable) but Mujambi, the epileptic lion. He's absolutely gorgeous.

btw, is it standard procedure to have male lions outnumber females in one area in zoos? Melbourne's is like that, at least last time I was there, and I thought it would be a bit of a social fuck up for the critters. I was a bit surprised and even a little disappointed by that. The gorilla walking around with a coffee cup cheered me up, though.

I think Melbourne Zoo's lion enclosure in general is a bit ... disappointing. It's the kind of soulless enclosure that makes me sympathise with the anti-zoo folk.

Anyway, personally, I'm a total sucker for any penguin exhibit. Melbourne's blue penguins are adorable. I still don't know what the fuck any sort of penguin is doing living in Australia though. Did anybody else watch Penguin Island on the ABC last year, about the penguins on Phillip Island?

I am actually the sole person living in Melbourne who despises coffee, aren't I?

you aren't, i don't live in Melbourne per se, but i can't stand the stuff.

i went to the Dubbo Zoo once.

as for the penguins on Phillip Island... what an extortion that is. the place is like built like a mini-fucking-airport and the penguins are about 30cm tall and you can only see them from 50 metres away.

not to mention we can't call them rainbow penguins anymore :shh:

EDIT- nice tags bonster.

EDIT- nice tags bonster.

Cheers.

I love little penguins, have been lucky to see them in the wild in a few places, Coffin Bay, KI, Victors and so forth. The first time I went to Melbourne I got a Phillip Island shirt with a penguin on it even though we didn't actually go there. I was seven, so.

re: coffee, I hated the (non iced) stuff until last year, now I love it. One day I want to be all Agent Cooper like and only drink black coffee, but at the moment I drink latte and cap pretty exclusively. Cibo is the best.

To demonstrate my apathy for all things coffee, I went on what I thought was a little date at uni last year (it wasn't) and I was stumped for what to order cos I don't drink coffee. I wasn't sure if there were man coffees or chick coffees, like alcohol. I think I got a cappuccino.

To demonstrate my apathy for all things coffee, I went on what I thought was a little date at uni last year (it wasn't) and I was stumped for what to order cos I don't drink coffee. I wasn't sure if there were man coffees or chick coffees, like alcohol. I think I got a cappuccino.

Yeah, it can be pretty intimidating at first. I pretty much just started drinking cappuccinos because I had fond memories of eating the froth when I was a kid, haha.

I'm going to contact some politicians for the first time in my life soon. I am going to give/sell my vote to the candidate who can get a zebra crossing put up the road. I'm going to get all middle-aged-letter-writerish about it. I always reckon they don't listen, but many have told me they have minions who really pay attention to this kind of thing. We'll see how much one vote matters to them.

Go Anna! :up:

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, it can be pretty intimidating at first. I pretty much just started drinking cappuccinos because I had fond memories of eating the froth when I was a kid, haha.

Haha that's pretty much the reason I chose it too.

I remember first drinking coffee and thinking "The taste is a bit eh but I'll keep on drinking more". And look where I am now.

Speaking of Zoos Mogo Zoo a fantastic place, but can't beat the views of Torronga Zoo.

Good on you Anna, im guessing that you wont hear anything back but one of thoes mass produced mail outs saying they are providing funding to schools ect.

Just order a hot chocolate! I'm yet to come across somewhere that serves coffee but not hot chocolate.

I just wish some places would put the same amount of energy into their hot chocolates as they do into that vile coffee shit. Also, why is it that so few places understand how to make iced chocolate (or iced coffee, for that matter)? IT HAS ICE CREAM IN IT. If it doesn't have any ice cream in it, it's not a fucking iced chocolate! So many places seem to think putting whipped cream or even just ice in it is good enough.

cobl04 said:

Maybe it wasn't a date because of how awkward you may have looked when ordering the coffee. Out of your comfort zone never looks good. Years ago when I didn't drink coffee at all really (certainly never when I was out of home), my efforts to order a coffee with this girl I was half-interested in were anything but that of someone who was a cool, calm, collected and "culturally" Melburnian.

I'm all good now, but I'll still take an English breakfast tea with a cheap teabag any day over coffee.

Just order a hot chocolate! I'm yet to come across somewhere that serves coffee but not hot chocolate.

I just wish some places would put the same amount of energy into their hot chocolates as they do into that vile coffee shit. Also, why is it that so few places understand how to make iced chocolate (or iced coffee, for that matter)? IT HAS ICE CREAM IN IT. If it doesn't have any ice cream in it, it's not a fucking iced chocolate! So many places seem to think putting whipped cream or even just ice in it is good enough.

:lol: i sooooo wanted to, but i thought if i'm on a quasi-date here i better not get one. in future i'll just stick to hot chocolate.

Maybe it wasn't a date because of how awkward you may have looked when ordering the coffee. Out of your comfort zone never looks good. Years ago when I didn't drink coffee at all really (certainly never when I was out of home), my efforts to order a coffee with this girl I was half-interested in were anything but that of someone who was a cool, calm, collected and "culturally" Melburnian.

I'm all good now, but I'll still take an English breakfast tea with a cheap teabag any day over coffee.

it was one-way interest from the start, but that probably didn't help either :lol:

I'm going to contact some politicians for the first time in my life soon. I am going to give/sell my vote to the candidate who can get a zebra crossing put up the road. I'm going to get all middle-aged-letter-writerish about it. I always reckon they don't listen, but many have told me they have minions who really pay attention to this kind of thing. We'll see how much one vote matters to them.

A petition is good. :up:

And the threat of being sued.

And there is the photo opportunity of doing a "good deed" for the community. :D

Lattes are my fav coffee. Though I find I can only have one and only occasionally or I get a shocker of a headache.

Iced tea is good. Not the stuff you can buy in a bottle but the made by hand one, or is that Long Island Tea am thinking of :lol:

I'm drinking coffee now. You mad?

Aaaaaand Melbourne is officially the world's second most liveable city :D

Behind Vancouver, which I don't mind at all. Beautiful city.

Actually a little surprised, I was under the impression that media build up re: violence, as well as prices and traffic would negatively affect the ratings compared to the past few years. Still good to see though. Sydney, Adelaide and Perth all made the top 10 too, although looks like Brisbane got a bit of an understandable beating (it's now 21, dunno what it was before but I can't think of why it would be much lower than the other capitals pre-flood). Glad that my future home came in at 4!

I'm looking forward to going to Melbourne again this year or next (going to art school again makes me want to get back to the NGV), though I'm overdue for a Sydney visit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom