2003/2004 NHL Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
Holy crap, Lilly makes an appearance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello utonian.

while we are missing gaborik, it should not cripple the entire team. after all, wouldn't letting one player be our greatest asset go against everything lemaire wants from the wild?

Yep.

I missed the game due to homework (still unfinished) so I can't offer any commentary.

It's like last season all over again. So, can you even blame coaching since the same problems are happening? I don't think so.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the Avs and I'm not seeing what it is. What I do know is Lacroix is trying to gloss over it with Kariya and Selanne, something I have been grumbling about since this last summer. I know things take awhile to click--but that doesn't explain the lack of production from Forsberg, Tanguay or Hejduk. And the third and fourth line still isn't kicking in the needed goals.

I honestly think Lacroix expected the opposition to be so dazzled by his new line-up that they'd just roll over and lose. Instead, it's having the opposite effect--the rest of the NHL is getting "Are you intimidated? How will you beat the Avs?" And that's having this great, rallying effect! You're being told your team can't compare...so they're doing what any hockey club with any pride in itself would do, and rallying and kicking our ass. I applaud them. :up:

i watched it. cos i decided it would be more enjoyable than doing my homework. i was right.

avsgirl, you're just more responsible than i am. i'm a lazy underacheiver with a 7 page lit paper to write by friday. will it get done before thursday night? no way in hell. but hell froze over, so...you never know...

LOL, well, I didn't get close to finishing...I fell asleep. So I might as well have just watched the game! :laugh:

Sometimes, slacking just *is* the logical choice...

yay! i made a logical decision!

oh wait...you said 'sometimes'....

:shifty: what i should do is go to sleep now so i don't fall asleep (or spend the majority of my day tomorrow thinking about going to sleep) at points in the day tomorrow where i could be doing something productive.

Looks like somebody has a case of I need a goaltender...

:sexywink:

Fundamentally wrong thing about the Avs? Same thing I said before the season started... they're top heavy, with forwards copping out on their defensive obligations. Take a look at all the Avs standing around during the Boston goals. No one is challenging for the puck. A possession type game philosophy is great, but it doesn't work to well if you don't have la rondelle to work with.

Is this a coaching flaw? Possibly. Colorado needs to realize that if they want to play a full season with a goaltender who hasn't done the 60-70 starts before, they'll need to engage opposing teams away from the puck... because believe me, once the other clubs see the potency of the avalanche attack and powerplay, they will stay out of the box and play an even more regimented trap game... taking the possession away from the Avs, and obviously the scoring chances...

So, in summary... I know mikey likes those... super offensive teams like Colorado don't translate well to the present day league. They could benefit more from role players, instead of stacking themselves with scoring masters.

:down:

i agree, they dont have enough people willing to get dirty and pay the price to get the puck

I agree with both of you...I think I said that before also, that there's no one willing to get gritty and dirty, and grab that puck.

I've said it before and it seems to be coming true, was trading Deadmarsh was the beginning of the end. Lacroix began valuing big names (especially in defense) and scoring masters over toughness and grit.

The Drury trade was also a problem--the guy was great in the clutch...now our offense just seems to be shutting down in the tenser moments.

It's almost embarassing to be a leafs fan right now.....Pat Quinn needs to step down as coach.

Avs dealt Battaglia (yay!) for Konowalchuk.

They also gave up rights to Jonas Johansson, who seemed really promising. (Again, Lacroix hits the farm team and it will probably be a mistake.)

Kariya out with a sprained wrist--what's with the Avs press releases and their fondness for using "indefinitely"? It's a sprained wrist, not a broken one. Unless there's something they're not telling. (Highly likely, as we all know.)

Yes, I can't believe Kariya is out! And he's my best offensive weapon in the fantasy pool. :( Oh well, better now than later I guess.

I think the Avs are basically an all star team without 2 bottom lines. Their bottom two lines don't need to be all-stars, but they should at least be competent in the fundamentals of the game...something that has been lacking as of late. I don't really know why, but many are saying Granato is making bad decisions matching lines. You look at Colorado, and they have 6 great forwards and 2 great defensemen, but after that they have very little. Maybe they need to spread the all stars around more? I'm not sure. I don't think the Sakic line has enough grit (or is playing with enough grit) to be successful. It's like they're playing shinny hockey, but doing it in the NHL. Even the Oilers didn't do that back in the day, as Kurri and Tikanen were always defensively responsible...so we can forget the old "It worked in the 80s argument"...

I think the Avs will figure it out soon (they're too talented, smart, and experienced not to)...and come playoff time, I don't think you'll see anyone talking anymore about how overrated they are. They'll be just fine.

Just heard MAJOR news - I hope this isn't true, but someone who claims to have inside information is saying that Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich has bought the Canucks, and the deal will be announced sometime in the near future. He supposedly wants to make the entire team Russian. This would be HORRIBLE. Not because I have anything against Russians, but because over the past few seasons, the Canucks have built their team from scratch into the most exciting team in the NHL...and the players are like family now. Brendan Morrison grew up just outside of Vancouver, and the rest of the players have Vancouver in their blood now. What makes our team great is diversity...and now someone wants to turn it into one nationality??? I really hope this is the work of someone with far too much time on their hands...and not true!

In other Russian news, Jagr says he will play in Russia if there's a holdout next season.

Jagr is Czech....he wears a 68 on his back in memory of the Prague Spring. He feels pretty strongly about the Russians.

I don't understand that at all. :confused:

The owner just can't make the team Russian....there has to be some kind of "safety messure" to prevent something like that from happening.

heres a tip, dont believe anything griffiths says

he has that disclaimer in his sig for a reason, he loves to bullshit

Edgeman said:
The owner just can't make the team Russian....there has to be some kind of "safety messure" to prevent something like that from happening.

honestly, you'd think so.

Chizip said:
heres a tip, dont believe anything griffiths says

he has that disclaimer in his sig for a reason, he loves to bullshit
You don't believe me that someone stated they had inside info on this? I personally hope it's not true, but check out this thread... This was first brought up because of a semi reliable source - a Vancouver radio station claimed last night there is truth to the rumour. The person who claims to have inside info begins posting on page 3, and goes by "Alfredo77"...

http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=26739

Remember, I said I hope it's B.S... so I'm not the one doing the bullshitting...

Last edited:
heres a tip griffdawg

dont trust anonymous postings on message boards

especially when its absurd as that

and then especially dont continue to spread the bs to other boards, you just make yourself look like as big a jackass as the first guy who posted it

Edgeman said:
How could the NHL possibly control what nationality of player, or how many, the owner wants to sign? There's nothing written in the CBA about that, and nor could there be. Otherwise, what would they do - make a provision that says no more than X number of players must be Canadian, no more than Y number must be Slovakian, and so on? I could never see it...just wouldn't make sense. Vancouver already has 7 Swedes...would that be the new quota? Given the complexities already involved in player acquisitions and need fulfillments, it would be far too sinuous.

Chizip said:
heres a tip griffdawg

dont trust anonymous postings on message boards

especially when its absurd as that

and then especially dont continue to spread the bs to other boards, you just make yourself look like as big a jackass as the first guy who posted it
Uhm, that's why I said it was probably bull shit, and prefaced it by saying it was someone "claiming" to have inside info. There's a thought... :lol:

it would be the stupidest thing in the world for an owner to do

if all the other owners knew the guy only wanted russians, they could take advantage of the situation and screw him on deals

and it would make terrible business sense, i know if an owner bought the blues and got rid of all of their players and rebuilt it as his own little russian team, i wouldnt support them and i doubt many people in the city would

the whole thign is just absurd

Michael Griffiths said:

How could the NHL possibly control what nationality of player, or how many, the owner wants to sign? There's nothing written in the CBA about that, and nor could there be. Otherwise, what would they do - make a provision that says no more than X number of players must be Canadian, no more than Y number must be Slovakian, and so on? I could never see it...just wouldn't make sense. Vancouver already has 7 Swedes...would that be the new quota? Given the complexities already involved in player acquisitions and need fulfillments, it would be far too sinuous.

That's not what I meant. All I'm saying is that thee shoudl be some sort of clause that prevents an owner from just destroying a team to make it a national team like this guy suposedly wants to do. No one would be a Canuck fan again.

Back
Top Bottom