What U2 Type Are You - Fan, Groupie or Fanatic???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
Are you a U2 fan, a U2 groupie or a U2 fanatic????

Let me elaborate. Are you a fan of U2's because you solely love their songs or are you the more obsessive type that collects every snippet of information on U2 and is consistently thinking of them or are you a member of the third category - do you know every thing there is to know about the band - both private and personal - are you constantly looking for information to discover where the band are so that you can go there to try and meet them?

Ok, perhaps, the three types need I've chosen need a lot more detail before you can ascertain which category or type of U2 fan you are, basically though you may have a reasonably good idea. Now to the confession booth - Can you admit to which type you are?

Myself - I'm a fan because I believe their music and songs are not only unique but inspirational and a reflection on life that affects each of us in different ways. I met Bono and Adam - after over 20 years of being a fan and it was something that all through my fanship I never once even contemplated happening. I remember the 'self aid' concert - 'Live Aid' and then when I lived in London 'The Joshua Tree 'was released and that was the most defining of all U2's albums. I've been to approximately 40 U2 concerts in my life to date - Lost myself in the music at every one - never waited backstage - never checked out what hotel the band we're staying in - So that's me. What about you?

All of the above :)

I'm a U2 fan because I became a fan because of their music. That was the most important thing to me at the begining.

I'm a U2 groupie because I'm totally in love with Larry and with I could maul him with my kisses and hugs :)

I'm a U2 fanatic because they're a part of my everyday life. They're like a drug for me....I can't go one day without hearing them or looking at their pictures or reading about them.

:)

Mullen-Girl said:
All of the above :)

I'm a U2 fan because I became a fan because of their music. That was the most important thing to me at the begining.

I'm a U2 groupie because I'm totally in love with Larry and with I could maul him with my kisses and hugs :)

I'm a U2 fanatic because they're a part of my everyday life. They're like a drug for me....I can't go one day without hearing them or looking at their pictures or reading about them.

:)

:yes: Same here.

BTW, nice sig pic, MG! :heart: :larry:

Hard to say here, despite being a fan for so many years it never worked out for me to get to a frigging concert, I was always either too broke or nowhere near the venue or committed to doing something else I had no way to get out of.
Just a fan, I guess.

Blah, I had more to say but I deleted it. Mercury is in retrograde and everything is coming across wrong lately.

I'm a fan. I'm not as obsessed as some people are; I have other interests. But I always find myself coming "back" to fandom, be it listening to one of the albums or posting a note on a U2 listserver or Interference. I'm always interested in the latest news about Bono's activism. I love looking at cool pix in PLEBA. But I basically fit into the "fan" category.

I have always "grouped" U2 people into two general mindsets: U2 fans and U2 followers.

U2 fans are those of us who are really centered on the music and the trivia of U2 - like all the background regarding the songs, concerts, recording, album art,etc. of U2. These are the people who are caught up in the Rock Star status of these four marvelous men and not much else about them. (Thank God for our PLEBA picture posters!;)

U2 followers are also U2 fans, but they have taken their Love, respect and Admiration for the band and the MESSAGE IN THEIR MUSIC a step further. U2 followers become social activists, contributing in some way for a better future for our world. I AM A U2 FOLLOWER.:yes:

Neither is better than the other, but I really do believe that U2 is particularly proud of those of us (and there are thousands of us around the world) who decide to take our appreciation of them and their music to social activism and a true belief in the Divine Order of the Universe. :wave:

But ALL U2 fans/followers are GREAT because they have such EXCELLENT TASTE IN MUSIC AND MEN!:hug: :angel: :up: :heart:

PEACE AND LOVE.

Im more of an obsessive fan! Love their music though! But im really only obsessed with Edge... So, what would that be if im only obsessed with one member? AAHH! I dont know! I love the music though, but im not obsessed with that. Only Edge.

but I don't know, I'm gonna think in a cool name you know... metallica has their "army", I know we can't consider us as an "army"... :hmm:
... did I really have that good taste on men??... :D hehehehe...

I come about it backwards I first became impressed with Bono as a humanitarian.. checked out the rest of the band and have been hooked ever since.. Not that I didnt like the music before but it was like an awakening ... So I have Bono to thank for alot of things but I respect and admire every single one Larry, Edge , Bono and Adam.. and thank then them for U2 the music and being fantastic examples of what people in the music business should be.... and yes fellas I am a fan indeed.. although I have always actually been weary of the word "fan" hmm . I'd also give a shout out (ha!) to Paul McGuinness and the Principle Staff as well as there publicity folks... they are all great and deserve thanks too!!

I can tell you this .. From being involved with Interference .. and I hope the guys in U2 know this.. U2 have the best fans in the world and the fans with the biggest hearts from my experience..

U2 Rocks and the Fans Rock !!!!

I think I would probably fall into the "Follower" category too. I love their music & think they're all incredibly gorgeous, sexy guys, but they're also all so much more than that. U2 has inspired me to be a better person, to try to make a real difference in other peoples' lives. Bono is my biggest inspiration, but I admire Edge for the aura of tranquility, he has, I admire Adam for facing his problems with drinking, etc. & then having the strength to beat them,& I admire Larry for his honesty, his stubborness, his role as peace-maker and especially for the way he stood by Adam & helped him dry out. What has made me a die-hard U2 fan isn't the music, their looks-really not even their humanitarian work, although those are all important things. The MAIN reason that I'll always be a U2 fan is because of how much these four men love each other. Even after almost 30 years together, they still seem to be so happy to be working with each other. The friendship they all have is priceless & that to me is what U2 is all about.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm impressed with everyone's responses :)

I'm a ... well, I'm not really sure. I love U2 and their music and what they do. But I like to keep my distance from becoming too obsessed, because I don't want to get burnt out on liking U2. I read everything I can get my hands on, but I don't keep articles, I don't buy the books when I can get them from the library and I don't try to find out where the band is at every particular moment. I lose myself in the music and it makes me dream ... I watch the videos, but I haven't seen them all yet. I guess it's hard with a band like U2, because even if you don't know everything, that's still a lot that you do know. That's how I feel - there's so much information that I think I would lose interest if I lived my life completely revolved around U2. So I'm taking things slow, getting a gradual but deep appreciation of U2. I am happy with my level of fan-ness of my favourite band, and that's the most important thing!

I am much like Buffalo, I have always had a love for music and it was their music that caught my attention at first I have great admiration for all four members of the band and for all the contribute to the world muscially and otherwise,.

I like reading about them just to understand what makes them tick and do what they do so well cos it fascinates me that they can still remain fresh and their music always so inspiring and uplifting and it makes you want to know more about them and who they are.

I'm a fan of their music, but also a fan of their looks since 1983. I collected stuff when I was a teenager but money has prevented me from being a rare stuff or ebay collector type of person. Mostly what I collect is ticket stubs and pics, I mean besides the music. I do feel a need to meet the band, to touch them, to thank them. I have not done this, and I don't ever think I'll be complete until I do. It's something that matters to me.

I do feel a need to meet the band, to touch them, to thank them. I have not done this, and I don't ever think I'll be complete until I do. It's something that matters to me.

I know what you mean, U2 kitten. I also would like to meet them & tell them personally just how much they have meant to me & how much I appreciate them. Just to be able- one time- to hug them and simply say "thank you"...that's my dream.

I'm not sure what category I fall into. I fell in love with U2's music the very first time I heard it, but it wasn't too long afterwards that I started drooling over the guys (over Bono and Larry, anyway) AND paying attention to their spiritual/political message - which made the connection that much deeper because I had similar beliefs/opinions before I even knew who U2 were. But despite being a fan for 17 years I STILL haven't gotten to see them in concert because of money issues, living a long, long ways away from major metropolitan areas with arenas and stadiums, or whatever. (I don't plan to let that stop me from seeing them on their next tour though - I'm sick of being a 30-something U2 concert virgin!) And although part of me desperately wants to meet the guys, I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to go through in order to do so. If I happen to run into them someday, that would be great, but I don't want to stalk them or anything.

They mean so much to me so I really want to express that to them. I think I fall under all catorgories. Sadly, I am pretty obessive U2/Bono fan, too!

Last edited:
i dont think i have been a fan for long enough to classify myself as a type...i subscribe to this forum and atu2's...what type of fan reads in last years NME U2 special edition that Bono recites WB Yeats to a female fan onstage and then searches online [like 10 different word groupings] for the words to the peom? [He wishes for the cloth of heavan]. Of course after i read the poem i gain more insight as to where he might have been coming from at that point in time. :eyebrow:

:sigh:

(Great thread starter, by the way! Really thought provoking for me.)
Several others seem to have reached the same conclusion as myself - I don't feel I belong solely to any one particular grouping. I have traits from them all, I guess, but with limits.
By now, I've been a fan/groupie/fanatic for more than 1/2 of my life. (Jeez, I'm gettin' old!!) I've never been a boomerang fan - you know the ones: love U2 this year, hate 'em next year - and over time I have become interested in more than just the "stage version" of the guys. Yes, I could die a happy cowgirl if I got the opportunity to see them perform live in Dublin, but no, I don't want to track down where they live with their families. I truly admire the fact that B-man has been successfully married for so long and seems to be growing a soccer team with his beloved, but I don't want to know her maiden name & the names of all the children, their birthdates, hair color, etc, etc, etc.
What I'm trying to say, is that for me, my "relationship" with the band involves remembering that behind all the jet-setting and rock star antics and political statments, there are human beings who deserve to not have their very existence dissected by complete strangers. It's part respect, part anti-voyeur I suppose.
In the end, I guess I could be considered a passive groupie... or only a half-arsed fan, depending on your point of view. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom