Web hosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, all of the web hosting services I'm familiar with are charging at least that. :censored: :censored: Tripod used to be absolutely free, then they started with the "upgrades". A service they contract with, Bravenet, even wanted to charge me $99 *just* for a counter!!! :censored: It's gotten ridiculous out there. :censored: :censored: :censored:

$9 is a GOOD rate! I doubt you'll find better than that. I have free space from my school right now. A friend of mine owns a site with high traffic and he recommends one of the low-end Yahoo deals. It really varies depending on how much space and bandwidth you want.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
$9 is a GOOD rate! I doubt you'll find better than that. I have free space from my school right now. A friend of mine owns a site with high traffic and he recommends one of the low-end Yahoo deals. It really varies depending on how much space and bandwidth you want.

true, 9 is pretty good- but that's 9 a month (i'm not the one paying :silent: :/) but i'm looking for alot of space because i am making a U2 image archive *nods* there isn't one out there anymore, so why not make a new one? :)

Jam Jar said:

true, 9 is pretty good- but that's 9 a month (i'm not the one paying :silent: :/) but i'm looking for alot of space because i am making a U2 image archive *nods* there isn't one out there anymore, so why not make a new one? :)

Yeah, 9/mo is most definitely the lowest rate I've heard of. Usually 9/10 a month gets you around 50MB space.

I pay $50 a year for TMH. (well, slightly more since I've had to increase bandwidth.) www.icdsoft.com Their support team is wonderful and respond to queries within five minutes. If you have more than one site (as I do) every additional one is $40 a year. You get 333MB (though you can't buy anymore), 5 gig bandwidth (which you can increase) and all the regular doohickeys.

Some of my friends use www.below10host.com who seem pretty good too.

(Warning: If you ever run across a "Freeboost" hosting company, RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. They screwed me big time on TMH last year.)

*edited to add: since you seem to be looking for space, I'll give you an idea of U2 Take Me Higher's capacity. As it stands my pictures obviously take up the most space. I have 90 .html files of pictures (which equals about 3600 pictures :eek: ) and my space is FILLED to capacity. I'm using Fishy's space on www.zoostation.us for my overflow. So I guess 333mb can hold about 3600 pictures, plus about 50 other .html files & 100 other jpgs I use for navigation, etc.

:wave:

Last edited:
Olive's site rocks :up: and if I could build one anything like it, I'd do it. But I can't :grumpy: JamJar, I will look forward to your site! :happy: If you can't get a real site right now, try this:

http://www.fotki.com

you get albums, thumbnails and it appears for now unlimited space. It's free to post for 2 weeks, then you have to pay $30 a year if you want to keep posting on forums. It looks like a real image archive, even if it's not really a real website.

Olive, that's an awesome deal, I'm going to look into that since I'll loose my free .edu space once I graduate.

Aine, do those sites let you post here? Olive are the ones you posted all build from scratch sites, nothing for dummies who can't do HTML? :huh: I want a website so bad :scream:

U2Kitten, have you ever heard about "blog"? Is some kind of diary online, but you can also use it as a site! and learn HTML is easy.. I can help you cause I do layouts for site...
you can check:
www.blogger.com

usually, for site you gotta post in the template, so that's a bit hard cause it's all full codes and stuff... I have a program that helps you build HTML.... MAX Software is the name...

U2Kitten said:
Olive are the ones you posted all build from scratch sites, nothing for dummies who can't do HTML? :huh: I want a website so bad :scream:

Unfortunately, yes they are build from scratch. You do seem to manage the web pretty well so I don't doubt you could create one from scratch yourself. Dreamweaver helps if you can get your hands on a copy, or Frontpage. Or even Nestcape Composer (which is free)- it can be finnicky but helps so you don't have to do all html code because you can use their interface. That's actually how I learned html; from playing around in Netscape Composer and hosting w/ free Tripod (which I might recommend if the photos posted here :mad: ).

If anyone needs an outline on how to design a site like mine (i.e. tables and thumbnails that link to photos) I wouldn't mind drawing up an outline and telling you what free software you can use to create thumbnails, etc. (I also design sites now so if anyone wants pay me I can do one for ya ;))

I love blogs but I don't think a blog is what U2Kitten is looking for. That does not offer any online space for all her pictures, nor a way to organize them in gallery-format.

lightold.gif
http://www.doteasy.com is another GREAT deal. They offer a free hosting service- all you have to do is register a url you would want (i.e. mine is www.u2takemehigher.com) through them for I think $9. They also offer UltraHosting package which I would actually consider switching to because they give 1000mb of space! ($8 per month).

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

:) Olive

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Aine, do those sites let you post here? Olive are the ones you posted all build from scratch sites, nothing for dummies who can't do HTML? :huh: I want a website so bad :scream:

HTML is quite simple, and you can copy and pastes other peoples', as long as they don't mind/don't know!

The MAX Software, you choose everything and it puts by itself the tag and stuff... but what I do most if copy other ppl HTML and change as I want... hehehe

You don't have to know HTML to do a site with Tripod, but heck, I couldn't put my own damn painting on my Tripod site. Rip-offs. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Tripod is worthless because they won't let you post the pics. That cjb.net site will shut you down for using pics you don't have rights to taken by others, that's what happened to the late great u2now.cjb.net :sad: So don't bother with them.

aine_hewson said:
The MAX Software, you choose everything and it puts by itself the tag and stuff... but what I do most if copy other ppl HTML and change as I want... hehehe

Yeah, copy and paste is the way to go! Or you can download free templates. MS Frontpage is pretty decent software, especially if you're already used to Word/Works. If anyone really wants it, I can hook you up.

Tabby said:
Tripod is worthless because they won't let you post the pics. That cjb.net site will shut you down for using pics you don't have rights to taken by others, that's what happened to the late great u2now.cjb.net :sad: So don't bother with them.

Tripod works for my history sites. I had to start another site with my ISP (Bellsouth) for my pictures. Tripod's pic policy sucks.:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

The policies are probably to reduce stealing their bandwidth (expensive!).

You're probably right. It is a little irritating that I couldn't put my own damn painting there, however. It's more hassle to have to maintain another site with another host. I'd imagine that the bandwidth thing would be quite a hassle for Tripod. Still I wish I could put the thing on a Tripod site.

u2now.cjb.net was originally from hpg.com.br and hosted in cjb.net .. it wasn't cjb.net's fault.. hpg.com.br was a free website, and now they started to charge, i guess that's why u2now.cjb.net doesn't exist anymore :sad:

thanks for the advice, everyone! :) i'm still looking around, actually. it'll be a simple site, a few graphics, but it's mainly going to be concentrated on pictures. so i know a bit of html just to get by ^_^ this is what the site i was first using is/was- this'll most likely be the layout of the new site
www.freewebs.com/ugunky

yes, weird name. after a very old bill cosby skit/story :lol:

Back
Top Bottom