U2 photo sights in Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L03VIk

War Child
I'm travelling to Dublin today for the first time!

I'm bringing with me my Nikon D80 camera, and would like to take some pictures of places where U2 has been taken picture of...

Kind of like a copy of the pictures except me or my girlfriend will be in the picture instead of U2... (or both if we run into them:drool:)

Would be nice if someone could post some u2 pictures from Dublin and where they were taken... (Adress preferebly)

Thank You!

I"ve got some pics of when I met Adam and Edge, but I can't post them till monday when the scanner/printer is here. I know we met them and saw Bono when we were at Hanover Quays studio, but that was back in July of 2002. Don't miss the Clarence, have a drink there in the bar. Dockers isn't to be missed, but I've been told that they've closed in the past year. They had Bono's original Fly shades there and a pair of Larry's drum sticks. I've got pictures of those too that I'll post.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an awsome city!!!

Oh...and if you can.....try to make it to Windmill Lane, and seee the band's origional studio (if THAT is ever torn down/removed......)the first time I tried to do this was in '96 and they had some guards down there.....in the 80's people first began leaving "messages" on the studio wall and the years of graffiti became a tourist place in itself...for fans at least. "Signing the Wall" used to be a fan ritual. Probably people still try to do it.

And if you can, take the daylong bus tour of Wicklow County. The advantage of this is that the bus goes past Bono's place (and maybe Edge's too, I havent been there since Edge switched Killeney homes) . Sit on the lefthand side of the bus, and you will see the homes and some spectacular scenery. Wicklow is the only county in Ireland that has a sampling of all the different geographical features of the country. Paul McG's home is there too, but tucked anonomously away.

Dublin is an exciting, wonderful place, "the city of song" I call it. You won't want to leave...at least I didn't.
Trust me,

I have some pics of the band in Dublin, but I haven't posted a picture before and I'm finding it quite tricky, I'll try again after work. They are at St. Stephen's Green, in Nicholas Street with Christ Church just on their backs and on some of the bridges and I have seen some on Ha' Penny bridge and under Merchan's Arch all in Temple Bar, although I don't have them, the rest are in the docks area.
There are some pictures on the walls of Temple Bar Pub, that you surely willl visit, and more in Captain's America (a hamburguer in Grafton Street whose owners are fans) and nearby, in Adam's Court, you will find Lillies Bordello, this club is one of the fav for Edge and Bono, but it's only member's admition.
Last month I was in Windmill Lane and the graffitti was still there, but the whole area is being rebuilt and there are no many people over there, so if you go, better do it at working hours. Don't try to get to the East Link, the traffic is diverted and pedestrians have to go across the cannal and the area is not very good. Another piece of advise: don't go to Ballymun or Cedarwood Road, I went there by mistake the other day (I was driving a car and I missed my way) and I can tell you the area is very depressed and potentially dangerous.
But don't worry, Dublin is a wonderful town with many interesting places to visit, but its main attraction is people, they're really lovely, I spent a year studying there and I fell in love with that country.
If you go to Wicklow County I recommed you visit Glendalough, it is an archaelogical medieval site and the landscape is also impressive. Another good trip is near Drogheda(48 km. to the North of Dublin) here you find Slane castle, the hill of Tara and Newgrange and Knowth (Brú na Bóinne) with the biggest and oldest passage tombs in the world (they were built about 1000 years before the pyramids in Egypt). Well, have a wonderful journey and tell us about!!!

Teta040 said:
Oh...and if you can.....try to make it to Windmill Lane, and seee the band's origional studio (if THAT is ever torn down/removed......)the first time I tried to do this was in '96 and they had some guards down there.....in the 80's people first began leaving "messages" on the studio wall and the years of graffiti became a tourist place in itself...for fans at least. "Signing the Wall" used to be a fan ritual. Probably people still try to do it.

And if you can, take the daylong bus tour of Wicklow County. The advantage of this is that the bus goes past Bono's place (and maybe Edge's too, I havent been there since Edge switched Killeney homes) . Sit on the lefthand side of the bus, and you will see the homes and some spectacular scenery. Wicklow is the only county in Ireland that has a sampling of all the different geographical features of the country. Paul McG's home is there too, but tucked anonomously away.

Dublin is an exciting, wonderful place, "the city of song" I call it. You won't want to leave...at least I didn't.
Trust me,

Great tips! Thank you! I am going to be there in exactly one week from today!! We were planning on taking the Wicklow county tour also and I wondered if it would include Killiney! thank you for the details...!! I am so excited!

Ok, I' trying to post one of the pics now, we'll see if I've finally understood it (I'm not very good at computers as you can see)
BonoChristChurch-1.jpg

Wow! at last! The one in the previous post was taken in Nicholas Street coming up from St. Patrick's and the cathedral we see behind Bono is Christ Church.
Bono_mullet4.jpg

This one is an early concert in the Georgian Quarter, I think it could be Merrion Street or Fitzwilliam Lane, Merrion makes more sense to me as the Baggot Inn was near.
BonoLadyGodiva.jpg

This one I think is in St. Stephen's Green.
dublin.jpg

u2bono1980.jpg

These two are from the docks area, near Windmill studios, but I don't think you can find these places now as the area is being completely rebuilt.
I think I must have some more, but I have to search my files. I'll post them if I find them.

Some of these are mine, here is the U2 wall as I saw it last month
Irelandsummero7027.jpg

The Clarence Penthouse
outdoorphoto1.jpg

The Clarence
Dublindic06016.jpg

The presentation of the U2 tower, here you see the whole area of the docks, the man is pointing the tower's place
u2tower.jpg

Me in Ireland 28 Aug - 13 Sep 2007

i1.jpg

Dublin, 'October' cover

i2.jpg

Dublin, Grand Canal Docks

i3.jpg

Dublin, Ha'Penny Bridge

i4.jpg

Dublin, Cedarwood Rd. - clip 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'

i5.jpg

Dublin, Sheriff St. - clip 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'

i6.jpg

Dublin, Croke Park Stadium

i7.jpg

Slane Castle

i8.jpg

Dublin, Kilmainham Gaol - clip 'A Celebration'

i9.jpg

Moydrum Castle - 'The Unforgettable Fire' cover

Full photo-report (over 200 photos) in my gallery:
http://homepage.mac.com/darekpro1/PhotoAlbum48.html

depe said:
Me in Ireland 28 Aug - 13 Sep 2007

i1.jpg

Dublin, 'October' cover

i2.jpg

Dublin, Grand Canal Docks

i3.jpg

Dublin, Ha'Penny Bridge

i4.jpg

Dublin, Cedarwood Rd. - clip 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'

i5.jpg

Dublin, Sheriff St. - clip 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'

i6.jpg

Dublin, Croke Park Stadium

i7.jpg

Slane Castle

i8.jpg

Dublin, Kilmainham Gaol - clip 'A Celebration'

i9.jpg

Moydrum Castle - 'The Unforgettable Fire' cover

Full photo-report (over 200 photos) in my gallery:
http://homepage.mac.com/darekpro1/PhotoAlbum48.html

OMG!!! yur pics are FREAKIN AWESOME!!! I so want to go next year evcen if it means taking up another job to finance it :hyper:

I made a few more ..
Enjoy!
t1.jpg

Dublin, Merchants Arch

t2.jpg

Dublin, Tangier Lane, clip 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'

t3.jpg

Dublin, Fitzwilliam Place - clip 'Sweetest Thing'

t4.jpg

Dublin, Fitzwilliam Place - clip 'Sweetest Thing'

t5.jpg

Dublin, Poolbeg - clip 'Pride'

t6.jpg

Dublin, Pigeon House Rd. - clip 'Pride'

Wow! What amazing pictures! I went to Dublin in 2005 and got to see many of the famous sights, but would definitely have loved to go along with you on your trip. Thanks for posting! I can only hope that I will get to go back one day in the near future and see more.

:up: :hi5:

Some pics from my trip in 95. Windmill Lane. Funny road sign above me! Docker's is/was around the corner. Is the place really gone?
:sad:
Dublin1.jpg

The studio wall
Dublin2.jpg

Docker's Pub
Dublin3.jpg

Paddy, the pub owner hung my IN2 U2 license plate in the side room! He said the boys sit in there often.
Dublin4.jpg

I really want to go back to Dublin! :sigh:

I can't resist...I must post some of my Dublin pics:

100_0227.jpg

me in front of Bono's gates

100_0230.jpg

closeup of his gates

100_0231.jpg

Killiney Beach (beautiful!)

ireland003.jpg

view from Killiney DART station

100_0260.jpg

Trinity College Dublin

100_0262.jpg

self-explanatory

100_0264.jpg

in Hard Rock Cafe

100_0265.jpg

more

100_0266.jpg

"Please" lyrics

MORE PICS!!!!

100_0268.jpg

in Hardrock

100_0269.jpg

in Amnesty International

100_0270.jpg

me and the River Liffey

100_0278.jpg

where it all started

100_0276.jpg

me in front of Mount Temple

100_0279.jpg

me in front of Larry's old house

ireland005.jpg

power towers from "Pride"

100_0328.jpg

The Point Depot

100_0351.jpg

The Clarence Hotel

100_0359.jpg

Tower Records with a special Bono feature

:wink: Wow! Thanks for all the U2/Dublin relater pictures! It was just like a virtual tour With you Depe! Thanks! Esp. your early pics Marian! :applaud:

Last edited:
dmalezi said:
Some pics from my trip in 95. Windmill Lane. Funny road sign above me! Docker's is/was around the corner. Is the place really gone?

yes.. :(

Dockers today..

DSC02725.jpg

It is from last Christmas, I didn't want to post this one 'cause I'm very shy, but if nobody else does...
Dublindic06045.jpg

Dublindic06066.jpg

These two were taken at St. Stephen's Green
EdgeBonosheep2.jpg

EdgeBonosheep.jpg

The docks again
[url]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/Marien0024/untitled.jpg[/url]

Love the pics guys. Excellent stuff. Keep em coming. Maybe one day al get to visit Dublin and Ireland in general. Being Scottish, its my kinda place

Back
Top Bottom