the Linden Girl pt 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
I know its been forever.. but I had a serious case of writers block with this last chapter.. but I finally got it finished, might be able to concentrate an the other PLEBA story I was writing with Crimson now :wink:

Katrina found herself looking back feeling almost proud of her achievements in adjusting to her new life and making Edge a capable wife, there was just one more area she desired to fulfil, and that was to give him a child.

She had not spoken of it openly to Edge, but silently prayed after they made love she would fall pregnant feeling sure it would be the one thing that would bring them even closer.
It was only a month after their serious argument, when she realised her hopes might materialise into reality as she found that she was already two weeks lately from her cursed monthly cycle. She would not even mention it to Edge until she was a hundred per cent positive.

She watched him leave the house that morning to go of on his usual business and was feeling secretly elated by the thought she could be carrying his child, and wondered how he would react when she finally told him, he would be pleased surely?

A slight flutter of doubt that he might not be so happy about it crossed her mind. Would he think she was trying to replace the son he had lost, after all it seemed no matter how hard she tried she felt she could never replace Juanita his first wife. So perhaps her giving him a child would not be such a joyous occasion for him

Refusing to give in to such maudlin thoughts she started on what had become her usual morning routine of cleaning and baking before going out to feed and look after the hens.

Myra arrived later that afternoon, she spent most of the time with Katrina, after the incident of someone trying to attack their home, he had asked Myra to keep an eye on her and the place when he was away for most of the day as he did not like the idea of her being on her own.

Katrina had become used to Myra calling in, and enjoyed the older woman’s company
Katrina had not even spoken to Myra about her hopes of getting pregnant, so she was considerably startled when after an hour in her company, she demanded to know when the baby was due.

“What makes you think I am with child?” Katrina asked flushing a deep red and finding it hard to look Myra in the eye.

“I have seen plenty of women in the first throes of childbearing, and you got that look about you, and I noticed this past week how you have been acting, trying to cover up the fact you haven’t been feeling to good in the mornings” she informed her perceptively

“Really?” Katrina sounded almost dismayed “You don’t think Edge noticed do you?”

“Ack! men don’t notice anything, so probably not” Myra replied

“I was not too sure, but I was hoping-” Katrina broke of there suddenly beaming, “Do I really look like I could be with child?”

Myra chuckled, “Aye, well if the monthly curse hasn’t visited you its more likely the case”

This reinforcement of her own hopes lifted Katrina’s spirits greatly.

“Oh Myra promise you won’t say anything to Edge I want to tell him myself, to pick the right moment” she then said.

“I understand” Myra smiled “I won’t say a word, until you make it official” she promised

Myra was still with Katrina when Edge returned earlier than usual that afternoon.

He found the two women in high spirits talking and laughing, and found himself quite liking the atmosphere in his home.. It had not been easy for him after losing Juanita coming back to an empty house, things had changed so much, Katrina made it feel like a home again.

Realising that Katrina had important news to break to Edge Myra made an excuse to leave.

“Well I have outstayed my welcome, so I will be on my way, got my sister Kate calling tonight, no doubt she will be all business with news of the big house with Lord and Lady Gilson in a fuss now about the forthcoming wedding tomorrow.. Its seems the kitchen staff are run of their feet, but then its their only son guess they would make a big do of it” she chattered on, completely unaware in her careless chat that she was speaking about Paul Gilson whom Katrina had been engaged to.

Katrina had forgot Myra’s sister Kate worked in the kitchen for the Gilson’s, and this reminder of his wedding give her slight discomfort, especially when she found Edge’s green eyes steadily watching her for an reaction.

She forced herself to smile, determined this would not ruin her day, she seen Myra to the door giving her a hug as Myra winked and wished her all the best in breaking the good news to Edge.

It was on this purpose she was deep in thought about as she closed the door after waving Myra goodbye

Part of her just wanted to throw herself excitedly into his arms and announce she was pregnant. But uncertain of Edge’s reaction to the news, she decided she would bide her time, perhaps wait till later, after they had eaten and seen to the animals and settled for the night.

She decided she would test the ground talk about how he felt about children, and if he would be happy with the thought of her carrying his child, hoping it was something he wanted as much as she did.

It had been fairly windy for most of the day, but as the evening kicked in the winds grew stronger that from inside they could hear the whistling and the noise of the surrounding tree’s getting blew about noisily. Now the rain poured down from the heavens as well, Edge hurried in from checking the stables almost soaked right through as he got into the house.

Its going to be a wild night” he announced shivering as he came over to sit by the fire.

“Yes” Katrina agreed as she heard the rain heavy against the windowpane.
“Here I have made you some tea to warm you up” she told him bringing the cup over.

“You are a sweetheart” Edge replied gratefully taking it from her.

Katrina blushed at this remark wondering if she was really his sweetheart, she guess she would find out soon enough. She was still trying to think of away of approaching the subject of her condition, not wanting to ruin this cosy moment.

Edge, now sensitive to her moods, realised she seemed pensive one minute she was chatting away then she would fall silent and seem lost in thought, and just stare into the fire.

How wondered if it had to do with the fact of Paul Gilson’s wedding the following day, was she trying to cover up the fact she was upset about it, not let him see how it was affecting her. They had not spoke of Paul again as it was just a reminder of the time they had fallen out… he did not want anymore misunderstandings in that line again.

He took her by surprise when he shifted onto the bench next to her and took her hand, his expression solemn as he turned those gentle green eyes on her

“There is something bothering you, isn’t there?” he enquired

Katrina blinked, and felt her face heat up, and found she could not look him in the eye, so instead stared down at his hand holding hers.

“Well, not exactly” she replied

“If it’s about Paul Gilson getting married tomorrow, I understand it must be hard for you” he then told her sympathetically.

She looked up at him with genuine surprise, but he continued in what he hoped was an understanding tone.

“It couldn’t be easy, hearing Myra talk about his wedding when it should have been your day as well… I suppose when you think what could have been, what should have been yours”

“You think I am fretting about Paul, and about not being married to him?” Katrina demanded her voice sounding high and strange to her own ears

“Well- yes I noticed tonight you have been acting strange, and it had to be after Myra mentioned about the wedding” Edge pointed out

Katrina just stared at him, then let out a loud scornful laugh. “Oh God you have got this so wrong!” she exclaimed. “Paul Gilson is the last thing on my mind and his marriage, I don’t give a damn about him or what might have been, don’t you realise that yet?” she demanded overcome with frustrated emotion, perhaps it was due to her pregnant state

“Dammit Edge! when are you going to realise it is you I love, you I want to spend my life with, that I am happy with you, and I am not pining after Paul or the life I might have had” she then declared

Her passionate declaration had stunned him into silence, this was not what he had expected her to say.

“Realising that this is not the way she had planned the evening to go, she tried to get herself into a calmer state, feeling some dismay she had just declared her true feeling to him. She wasn’t sure how he would take it, but it was too late now to take it back, and now that it was out in the open she found she didn’t want to take it back, whatever came out of the situation.

She let him see it now as her hand went up to stroke his face, let him see the love she felt for him.

“I have loved you for a while now, all I want is to be with you, please believe me, and I know you might not love me in the same way, but I was hoping that one day you might be able to love me the same way you loved Juanita”

Edge’s eyes searched her face, as if scrutinising every pore and seeing her in a new light”

“Is that what you really want? For me to love you like I loved Juanita?” he finally asked quietly

“Y-yes, Do you think it is possible?” she asked with a slight tremor in her voice, her heart beating a loud tattoo in her chest.

He continued to stare into her face as if digesting her request, and thinking hard on it for an answer, his expression was troubled, and he frowned a little

“I don’t think I could love you the way I loved Juanita” he told her quietly but honestly

“I see” Katrina felt her heart break in two, and found she had to remove herself from Edge, to be able to stand the pain.. It was just as she had always feared.. She regretted telling him now, how could they go on together, and how could she tell him now she was carrying his child.

She got up just wanting to escape from him she did not want to see the regret or the guilt in his eyes, to let him know how much she was hurting, she blindly made for the door.

“Kat where do you think you are going?” Edge demanded in slight alarm

“Please I need to clear my head, to be away from you right now” she told him
Opening the door to receive a gust of wind that almost knocked her of her feet and left her short of breath, but she would gladly let the wind carry her of into oblivion right now.

Edge swiftly got up “You can’t go out in this weather, its wild out there, are you crazy” he remonstrated grabbing her arm and pulling her back, slamming the door shut again against the wind

“Besides I haven’t finished what I was saying and you haven’t heard me out” he then told her in a firm tone as he swung her round to face him

“What more is there to say?” she demanded trying hard not to break down and cry

“Quite a lot more actually” he informed her, “You silly goose, I was being truthful with you when I said I couldn’t love you the same way I loved Juanita… but that doesn’t mean I don’t love you just as much in a different way”

She stared up at him in confusion, “I-I don’t think I understand, what you mean” she stammered uncertainly.

“I think you do” Edge smiled, “I can’t love you like Juanita because you are not her, but I can love you like my sweet precious Kat, who has managed to make me happier than I dared dream I ever had the right to feel again” he told her warmly

“Oh Edge!” she exclaimed and could not stop the tears welling up in her eyes wondering should she dare believe he was really saying this.

“I did not want to admit it for a long time” he informed her “I felt guilty about being happy with you after losing Juanita, but I realise now she would want me to be happy again, to have someone like you. I just didn’t realise you loved me,” he confessed

“I always assumed it was just gratitude, there were so many reasons I thought it was not possible the age difference the difference in our class, how could I compete with what Paul Gilson had to offer you, yet as much as I kept telling myself all these things I found myself being hopelessly drawn to you”

“You are such a fool you know that” she told him now wrapping her arms around him and hugging him tight realising she had not lost him after all.

“I think we both have been a little foolish” Edge replied kissing the top of her head

“Lets both agree to try and be honest with each other from now on, then we can have no more of these misunderstandings

“I agree” Katrina replied looking up into his face and smiling,

“Speaking of which there is one more thing I have to tell you…” she informed him, realising if there was ever a right moment to tell him she was carrying his child, it was now.

THE END

:applaud:
nice happy ending there!
I can't wait for the new PLEBA fics.. Can I be involved btw?? :win: I re-read Invasion of Planet PLEBA a little while ago and it's still the funniest fic I've ever read! :D

sure you will be in it. And this one stems from Crimson's imagination, and her sense of humour is even wittier than mine, I just fatten it up for her I think she posted the first two parts here already and we are working on part 3, hopefully be able to post it soon:)

annj said:
sure you will be in it. And this one stems from Crimson's imagination, and her sense of humour is even wittier than mine, I just fatten it up for her I think she posted the first two parts here already and we are working on part 3, hopefully be able to post it soon:)

ok I'll go reread... it's the abduction of Edge right??? the golden shoe thingy......

Ah. it's done already?:(

I really, really liked this. I like the historical touch, and the story was really good.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom