The Linden girl pt 17(1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
I am BAAAAACKKKKK.... I had started this chapter ever so long ago, and it has kind of developed bigger than I realised so it will be in 2 parts but as promised Larry makes an appearance... :)
Hope you like it

Katrina woke to find Edge almost finished getting dressed, remembering the events of the night before, she wasn’t sure what to say or how to act, so she lay watching him uncertainly.

He was about to sit down on the edge of the bed to put his boots on when he realised she was awake.

“Good morning” he remarked tentively wondering if she was still talking to him

“Morning” she replied shooting him the briefest of smiles

“Am I forgiven?” he then queried.

Katrina sat up feeling the awkwardness sliding away, “Of course, it was not all your fault.. I take some of the blame.. I should not have-” she did not get any further as Edge leaned over to put his finger against her lips silencing her.

“Lets just agree to forget about it, eh?”

Looking into his green eyes she could do nothing else but acquiesce

“Why don’t you get dressed and come into town with me, I could do with the company” he then suggested “You could do some shopping, I am sure there are things that you need whilst I am busy with business”

Katrina felt this was his way of making a peace offering, he had never offered to bring her with him before. But then he knew she had not been keen in going into town and facing people. People who could be former servants and employees from the Linden Hall, who would snigger behind her back and point the finger at her downfall.

But today she felt nothing to be ashamed of, she would be proud to be seen with Edge, and she would hold her head up high and let them think and say what they liked and she show Edge she was happy to be by his side, it was the least she could do after the night before.

“Just give me time to get dressed and I will be with you” she told him, then on impulse wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek, “thank you,” she murmured when all she really wanted to tell him she loved him, but once more wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to do so, she pondered would there be a time when it could be….

Katrina found herself reluctant to leave Edge’s side when they reached the outskirts of the small town where he had stopped to eye up new horses for his trade. Edge didn’t seem to mind and even asked her advice on some of the horseflesh realising with her background she would have a good idea of the kind of thing he was looking for. She was fairly knowledgeable about horses.

Katrina was flattered he was interested in her opinion, or perhaps he was still feeling a little guilty about the day before and was still trying to make up to her.

Either way they spent a busy morning looking over horses at the market before going into town to do some shopping. It was hitting midmorning and Katrina was starting to feel hungry the busy morning had given her an appetite.

As if reading her mind Edge suggested they drop into a small pub he frequented, owned by a friend, where they could get some sort of refreshments
Katrina had never been in such an establishment before, but the thought of food made her readily agree.

It was a small pub and fairly busy for afternoon, inside the sound of the fiddle and drums beat out the traditional Irish jig from the locals playing in one of the corners, When Edge entered with Katrina though the music talking and laughter faltered then died away to a hushed murmur.

Katrina felt all eyes turn on them, self consciously she reached for Edge's hand, her appetite suddenly leaving her. She wanted nothing more than to back out of the dimly lit claustrophobic room where the smell of tobacco and alcohol assailed her nostrils and where she suddenly felt very uncomfortable and was about to suggest to Edge that she was not so hungry after all and maybe they should just go. But then a voice from the crowded bar counter prevented her from getting a word out.

"Davey Boy, nice to see yer old face in me pub again" It declared jovially. Katrina realised the owner of the voice, a fair haired man was now walking towards them grabbing Edge's arm and pulling him forward in welcome "and I see you've got company with you as well, the good wife I believe?" his blue eyes turned on Katrina

"It is indeed" Edge grinned "Kat I want you to meet Larry Mullen, owner of the place, Larry this is my wife Kat" he then introduced

"Its a pleasure to meet you ma'am" Larry smiled, "now c'mon till I find you a table", he leaned forward so he was close to Katrina's ear and muttered
"And don't be put of by of the ignorant shites in here, this is my pub and if I say you are welcome, you are” he stated

Katrina found some comfort in this and managed a small smile, “thank you” she replied

Realising the proprietor of the pub had made his feelings known about the new arrivals, his customers went back to their business of talking and drinking or whatever else they had been doing, so as not to incur Larry’s wrath and be thrown out.

But one rather old drunken customer who was slouched over one of the tables, was not so fortunate, as Larry poked the man in the ribs making him partly wake up from his drunken slumber and star at him in confusion.

“Right, O’Connell enough of using me pub as your sleepover, ye haven’t bought a drink in the last hour, and I doubt ye have the money to buy more, and I need this table for my friend here, so get up and be on your way” he ordered and mercilessly hauled the confused drunkard onto his feet, amid a shower of swear words from the offended evictee at getting disturbed

“Away home to yer wife, and sleep it of in your own bed” Larry told him pushing him towards the exit”

“Aye yer a shite Larry Mullen kicking me out of your pub.. I will not be back ye hear me, tis no way to treat a loyal customer” the drunkard O’Connell grumbled as he staggered indignantly out the door.

Katrina wore a frown of concern, she did not want any more animosity felt towards them, than there was already in the place.

“I am so sorry we are causing you this trouble” she apologised.

“It is no trouble” Larry assured her, “Don’t worry about O’Connell, he will be back, as soon as he gets his hands in his wife’s purse” he then grinned

“Now sit down and let me serve you some of my fine Irish stew” he insisted

Feeling her stomach growl with hunger, Katrina found herself obeying.

:applaud: larry the pub owner, nice idea!
I have no useful comments this time, it was nice to read :) just wanted to let you know I'm reading them and still love it!
are you going to do a PLEBAns involved fic after this again? :wink: I read Invasion of PLEBA again a few days ago, and realised how brilliant it was... I had a lot of fun while reading :lol:

Back
Top Bottom