Request: Ali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Niamh_Saoirse said:
BonoAliRoganlightshirt.bmp

Holy :censored: !!!! :drool:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know if this has already been posted, but there's an interview w/ Ali in this new magazine called Project. You can go here to read the pdf file

http://www.project-magazine.com/what/2005/04/project-sampler-issue.html

maybe someone knows how to post it here, I don't :der: there's a picture too
Thanks for the link! Nice article, but weird title: Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk? What the hell's that supposed to mean?

Best quote (which I think I've seen her say in other interviews as well but it's still a great comment): Hewson says that currently her most important role in the company is "to keep Bono away from the designs". Ha! Very wise woman is Ali.

Yes, thanks Mrs. S. for that link. Loved the bit about them being "unshiny" people, and Ali's dread at the idea of the kids being interviewed, because they know "the truth". But a 12 year old Bono on a chopper? Huh?

BABY MAKES HER BLUE JEANS TALK
WORDS KATE FINNIGAN
PHOTOGRAPHS ALEX VILLALUZ

IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE ALI HEWSON MAY BE A CELEBRITY, BUT NOT IN THIS ONE. AT A TIME WHEN EVERY MAN, HIS DOG, AND HIS DOG’S FLEAS ARE STARRING IN REALITY TV, IT’S MORE OF AN ACHIEVEMENT THESE DAYS TO NOT BE FAMOUS. AND WHEN YOU’VE BEEN MARRIED FOR 23 YEARS TO ONE OF THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS ROCK STARS — IT’S A BLOODY MIRACLE. SOMEHOW THOUGH, THE WIFE OF PAUL HEWSON (KNOWN AS BONO EVEN TO HER), MAKES STAYING IN THE SHADOWS LOOK EASY.

HEWSON is famously private, but that doesn’t mean shy or stand-offish. In fact, the Dublin-born 43 year old — looking today, with her shining black hair and apple cheeks, like Snow White in denim — is confident, witty and engaging. When she does choose to step into the spotlight it’s with good reason. On a previous occasion it was to bang on the door of 10 Downing Street with a postcard for Tony Blair (and 1.5 million others from fellow Irish citizens), demanding he shut down Sellafield nuclear power station. Another time it was to narrate an Oscar-winning documentary about the impact of the Chernobyl disaster on Belarus — from Belarus. Hewson’s work is taken so seriously in Ireland that there was recent talk of her, (not from her), becoming a Presidential candidate. But she just
laughs that off. “Bono’s great comment on that was, ‘We couldn’t possibly move into a smaller house!’ Personally, I don’t think I could get him to walk behind me. But really, I think my place is outside politics not in it.”

At 43 and a mother of four (aged 16 to three), this is one determined campaigner who’ll use her fame-by-association to help bring a bit of justice into the world, and won’t entertain it otherwise. It may be surprising then, to hear that her next project lies in the world of fashion. “Sexy, confident but easy, beautiful. A move away from flashy clothes to something that’s really sensual,” says Hewson. This is official fashion talk of an official fashion label. Is it really coming out of the mouth of a woman who’s been shot at in Sarajevo and El Salvador? Who last year took her kids on a trip to a South African township so they’d see the real world?

Yep, the Hewsons have launched a new clothing label called Edun — Edun being Nude backwards, and Nude being
the name of the organic café chain in Dublin that the family’s also set up. But one major distinction between Edun and other designer labels: Edun garments are ethically made. Each pair of jeans, each t-shirt and skirt bears the legend, “Our clothes carry the story of the people who made them”. And the stories of the people who make Edun clothes — in Lesotho, Peru and Tunisia— are not the kind that begin or end in a sweatshop. Edun is a socially responsible business, with clothing designed by New York-based Rogan Gregory of the luxe denim label Rogan, and directed by Hewson, (Bono is a stockholder). The Hewsons have specifically chosen factories in developing
countries adversely effected by the current world trade set up. “The factory in Peru that we use had suffered because it couldn’t compete with the cheapest labour costs,” Hewson says. “There’s a micro-economy built up around a factory. At the moment, once lower costs of labour appear in another country, companies will leave factories. So when owners are struggling to bring in business, the whole community suffers.”

Currently Edun clothing isn’t 100 per cent organic, but Hewson’s confident it will be soon. “We’ll get there but at the moment our main aim is to be socially responsible and to remain loyal to these communities,” she says. (Last year Rogan also launched the stylish 100% certified organic jeans label Loomstate, www.loomstate.org). “We’re focusing on making the factories produce really great quality so people will think, ‘That’s the most beautifully designed jacket’ and it was made ethically in Peru or Africa.”

Edun’s inaugural spring/summer collection is inspired by nature and art-nouveau: a range of slouchily cool, natural-
fibre separates for men and women, which put the label at the forefront of what’s becoming fashion’s big new trend — “ethical” clothing with kick-ass styling. This is one fashion house that won’t care if Topshop starts ripping them off. In fact, bring it on. “We want people to copy this idea,” laughs Hewson. “Maybe just by forging relationships with these factories and in these places, other designers will come along and say, ‘Hey, which factories are you using?’ And we’ll tell them!”

Hewson says that currently her most important role in the company is “to keep Bono away from the designs.” Not that he wants to give up his day job. It’s over 30 years since she first saw a twelve-year-old Bono riding his chopper, and the couple have never looked back. But it took Hewson years to see how she could harness her position to do good. “The desire to help was always there but the avenue to do it wasn’t because” — she shrugs apologetically — “I’m not a nurse, I had no skills to do anything. Some might say I still haven’t, but the opportunity came through being married to Bono.”

Now the opportunities to help don’t stop coming, but she’s aware that she can only punch in a couple of corners. “If people see you standing there with banners for everything, they just say, ‘Oh, for goodness sake... not her again’. I was even reluctant to get involved with Edun at first, but it’s such a brilliant thing…”. And one suspects that this won’t be the last project either she or Bono will be involved with. Really, I suggest, the Hewson kids couldn’t have two more shining examples in their parents, could they? “No!” she exclaims, alarmed at this image of saintliness.
“They know how unshiny we are. They know the truth. God, I hope you never interview them!”

Junebug said:
You're right, Ali looks a tad bit uncomfortable. But what is wrong with Bono's face in the 2nd pic? I don't see anything.

Mmmm.. I think he has a "protective face", u know, hugging her and all.. and his eyes are half closed, like "I don't care u take pictures to me, but she doesn't like it", or something of the sort... maybe I'm making up the whole story here :lol: :p , I always do, but that's the impression I had when I saw the pic! :)

Zootomic said:

Thanks for the link! Nice article, but weird title: Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk? What the hell's that supposed to mean?

:lol: Its a line from a song. You're obviously not old enough to remember Dr Hook.

PS Looks like the models are becoming even more lethargic. Now they can't even hold themselves up without the assistance of walls. :mad:

beli said:

:lol: Its a line from a song. You're obviously not old enough to remember Dr Hook.
Yeah, I'm definitely old enough, but I don't remember that song.

PS Looks like the models are becoming even more lethargic. Now they can't even hold themselves up without the assistance of walls. :mad:
Seriously! It looks like the woman has collapsed from hunger.

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

Yeah, I'm definitely old enough, but I don't remember that song.

You obviously didn't purchase all the Dr Hook cassettes. Or where they reel-to-reel? Maybe cylinders? :lol:

Zootomic said:

Seriously! It looks like the woman has collapsed from hunger.

Miss Lethargy 2005 appears to have red hair so she possibly has freckles which would make a good role model.

..... if she could manage to stand and hold her head up at the same time :woe:

thanks for the article link.

Maybe they were all going for the "moody" look in that pic. :sexywink:

beli said:

:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom