PLEBA Misc News and Articles #5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Lanois has a book coming out in early November.

"Soul Mining: A Musical Life"

9780865479845.jpg

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, U2, Peter Gabriel, and the Neville Brothers all have one thing in common: some of their best albums were produced by Daniel Lanois. A French speaking kid from Canada, Lanois was driven by his innate curiosity and intense love of music to transcend his small-town origins and become one of the world’s most prolific and successful record producers, as well as a musician in his own right.

Lanois takes us through his early years, from his single mother raising four kids on a hairdresser’s salary, to his discovery by the artist Brian Eno, to his work on albums such as U2’s Joshua Tree and Dylan’s Time Out of Mind. He delves into the ongoing evolution of technology, the birth of the microchip and the death of discrete circuitry, and the arrival of the download era.

Part technological treatise, part philosophical manifesto on the nature of artistic excellence and the overwhelming need for music, Soul Mining brings the reader viscerally inside the recording studio, where the surrounding forces have always been just as important as the work itself. Beyond skill, beyond record budgets, beyond image and ego, says Lanois, music is love and truth

Dublin Gets First Look at Killing Bono

@U2, October 05, 2010
By: special contributor Michele O'Brien​

Neil McCormick, Nick Hamm and Joe Echo at the event. Photo courtesy of Hot Press.
A snippet of Killing Bono was unveiled during a panel discussion Sunday afternoon at The Music Show 2010 in Dublin.
The film is based on Daily Telegraph rock columnist Neil McCormick's memoir I Was Bono's Doppelganger.
Hot Press journalist Olaf Tyaransen led the Killing Bono panel featuring Nick Hamm, the movie's award-winning director;
Joe Echo, lead composer of the Killing Bono soundtrack; and Neil McCormick.
The film zeroes in on Neil's decade-long journey as a wannabe rock star coinciding with U2's rise to rock 'n' roll royalty from the late 1970s to the worldwide success of The Joshua Tree in 1987.
There is even a scene of the infamous U2 audition in Larry Mullen's kitchen.
The clip shown during the panel was a 3 ½-minute montage set to a high-energy track composed by Echo and performed in the movie by McCormick's band Shook Up.
Echo composed six original songs that are reflective of the late 1970s and early 1980s sound in which they would have been written. With McCormick's help,
Echo also pieced together remnants of the unreleased U2 song "Street Mission" to create a new version for the movie.
U2 fans should be warned though, as Hamm pointed out, that Killing Bono "is not a U2 project."
He did mention that both The Edge and Paul McGuinness were incredibly supportive throughout the process when consultation was needed.
The film is more about the journey of "not making it," a notion Hamm believes will have universal appeal.
U2 are simply a counterpoint to someone else's failure. McCormick joked, "I'm going to be immortalized now as a loser."
An American release date for Killing Bono is unknown at the moment, but it's due to hit Ireland and the U.K. on April 1.
Fans can follow movie updates and watch behind-the-scenes footage on The Official Killing Bono Blog.
The movie soundtrack for Killing Bono will be released in the spring by Sony.
Michele O'Brien has been a U2 fan since 1986 and her passion for the band took her all the way to Dublin in 2005 to see the Vertigo tour.
She fell in love with the City and one of its Irishman and relocated to Dublin from New York in 2007.
Although she has a BA in Journalism from NYU under her belt, she sought a career in advertising and instead writes on the side.

© @U2/O’Brien, 2010

From: Gibson Guitar: Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos

U2 to Headline Glastonbury?

U2 fans, who were bummed to miss the Irish legends at Glastonbury this summer, can take heart. The group, who pulled out of this year’s festival due to Bono’s back injury, have released their concert schedule for next summer.

Amid the tour dates is a conspicuous gap in the schedule from June 24-26, which are (coincidentally?) the dates of the world-famous music festival. With rumors running rampant, a story on the band’s website advised fans to buy tickets for the show, with U2 manager Paul McGuinness alluding to the schedule gap: “We’re certainly excited about our plans for next year. Watch this space!”

Glastonbury 2011 tickets are now sold out. U2’s 360˚ Tour, meanwhile, continues in Rome at the Olympic Stadium on October 8.

Pretty sure they are playing there . U2.com
announced when the sale began. They never would have done that unless they would play there.

Bono up for Nobel Peace Prize

from atu2.com

Bono is reportedly nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize. The Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten lists Bono in this article that lists several of the believed nominees. The Nobel nominees aren't officially announced, only the winner; however, over the years, many who submit nominees have begun announcing their candidates publicly. If Bono is one of this year's nominees, it would be at least the fourth time his name has been mentioned for the honor (although he could've been nominated on other occasions with his name never being revealed).

In early 2009, Bono told Q magazine that he doesn't expect he'll ever win the Nobel Peace Prize:

I will never get that. I think in general they give it to people whose names are not known. Or if they give it to somebody who's very well-known, it's because they're making a particular point that year. I think they've made the Africa point a couple of times, the inequality point.

The award is announced tomorrow, October 8.

They have to give him that tilte sometime in his life. seriously,
Still , like Bono himself I highly doubt it will happen soon, but seriously,
it will happen .They just can't get around his work.

They have to give him that tilte sometime in his life. seriously,
Still , like Bono himself I highly doubt it will happen soon, but seriously,
it will happen .They just can't get around his work.

That's exactly what I think. Maybe 50 years are too less for Nobel. :lol:
I'm sure Bono will have received the Nobel Prize by 2020. I bet :D

Not that it's all new information... but this posted today on Gibson guitar site...

U2 Planning New Album for 2011Bryan Wawzenek|10.19.2010

In recent years, U2 have spent four or five years between new albums, but they won’t be waiting another couple of years to release the follow-up to 2009’s No Line on the Horizon. A new U2 album, possibly titled Songs of Ascent, will likely be available next spring, according to the band’s manager, Paul McGuinness.

“I would expect a new U2 album sooner than anybody thinks,” McGuinness told the Irish Times. “I would guess early 2011 before the next leg of the American tour, which starts in May.”

It’s rumored that the new album will feature songs such as “Mercy,” “Every Breaking Wave” and “Boys Fall from the Sky,” all of which were performed on the most recent, European leg of U2’s 360° Tour. The band’s next performances in the U.S., which were postponed because of Bono’s back injury and surgery, will begin May 21 in Denver, Colorado.

In the interview, McGuinness also rejects the idea that No Line on the Horizon was a flop. He said the release sold “remarkably well” and moved 5 million copies at a time when few acts are selling that many albums.

U2 Planning New Album for 2011

"The first is a club-inspired album with Black Eyed Peas rapper will.i.am, French DJ superstar David Guetta and Lady Gaga collaborator RedOne. Also, Bono and guitarist The Edge are attempting to sell their bandmates, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr., the concept of a U2 album based on the 20 songs the two have written for a Spider-man musical that opens on Broadway next month."

That's it. They went too far. Friggin' Black Eyed PEas.. a club album...:|

Absolutely! They suck like no one else. It can't be worse than BEP! I wish they'd realise that they're not a boyband..:|

While I share your feelings, and would rather hear "Songs of Ascent":hyper::love:, let's see how this plays out! :up:

Can you imagine U2 in competition with Lady Gaga?:lol:
Now that's something I'd be excited to see!:D

Am I thrilled with this whole BEP thing? Not really.
But with U2 behind it, something good is surely going to come out of it! I try and think about it in terms of a "Pop #2" kind of cd, behind the glitter and disco music, Bono still kept his heartfelt songwriting! It's a duality, but with U2 at the helm, I'll give it a shot!:up:

"The first is a club-inspired album with Black Eyed Peas rapper will.i.am, French DJ superstar David Guetta and Lady Gaga collaborator RedOne. Also, Bono and guitarist The Edge are attempting to sell their bandmates, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr., the concept of a U2 album based on the 20 songs the two have written for a Spider-man musical that opens on Broadway next month."

That's it. They went too far. Friggin' Black Eyed PEas.. a club album...:|

I read somewhere (? in the same article) that Larry and Adam weren`t keen on the spiderman soundtrack being a U2 album............possibly stems back to the Passengers album thing......but they can`t ignore the positive feedback and response that BFFTS got when they played it live :hmm:

I can just imagine the debates going on in the U2 camp over this and Larry digging his heels in......yet again :lol:

I knew Larry would do that.. again.:lol: And perhaps I agree with him.

Yeah, I remember I said something about U2 and Lady GaGa together. I thought it would be quite cool, so maybe it's going to be nice. But I'll never like BEP.:lol: They're just a joke in my opinion..:shifty:

We'll see, hope it's gonna bee Pop #2 indeed!

U2 will always sound like u2, no matter who produces them..
As long as Edge is in the universe. Hell ...
I bet they could let Vanilla Ice produce ,and still bring out an awesome record.

Will.I.Am is the better part of BEP, David Guetta is fucking brilliant,
I have been waiting on a pop sounding album for years , ((Hello Mofo #2?))
so bring it on! :sick::corn::cabbagepatch: I'm very exited about the club album, anyone else?

I hope Paul stops spreading rumours about that album, since most of them seem to be false anyway.
But but but.... If SOA contains Glasto , Mercy and EBW, and Stingray as a bonus as well,
that would be so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom