Please Post All 2003 GRAMMY Discussion HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:

Can I ask what you don't like about Norah Jones? Or are you just tired of hearing about her?

Actually, I never really heard enough about her to get tired of it until last night. What don't I like about her? Where do I start? It's just that everything I've heard from her is incredibly boring, excruciatingly dull, not at all entertaining, and her voice drones on me. So she may be technically 'talented' and good at what she does, I just cannot bear to hear what that is. She may have been worthy of a Grammy or two, but I honestly don't feel she's so great she deserves 8. She might be 'different' but she's nothing that special. Compared to her, Avril is interesting and entertaining. It's not that I don't appreciate slow music. I like slow songs if they're pretty and melodic but hers just don't appeal to me in any way.

Of course I'm sure guys think she's hot, but me not being a guy, I don't really care. Even if I were a guy, I'd turn the sound down on her if I did want to look. As somebody else posted in another thread, she just doesn't do a thing for me. I don't understand what's supposed to be so great. So IMO she is 'overrated.'

Last edited:
Oh well...

I think Norah is terrific, and deserving of what she got. Every year there seems to be a Grammy "darling". I love her voice, and she seems quite sweet and modest. Everyone is entitled to appreciate whatever music he/she chooses to-it's all subjective.

I sure wish Bruce had won album of the year, I think he deserved it, but then again, I'm biased :wink: But he's been passed over many times before. :shrug: He doesn't need Grammies or any other awards to prove his greatness. It's just like last year-U2 "lost out" to Oh Brother Where Art Thou (or whatever that was called)-what difference did it really make ultimately?

I loved London Calling-that rocked!

capt.1046061121.grammys_msg354.jpg

:hmm: Let's see...Simon and Garfunkel were awesome, James Taylor was awesome, Bruce was awesome, and I also enjoyed Dixie Chicks, Norah Jones, and Coldplay. Really not so terrible of a Grammy show. I've seen worse. And I'm so glad they decided not to have a host! :hyper:

I am not 'angry' and I am not insulting anyone else's opinion or saying they don't have a right to it, sheesh! :rolleyes: So I got fed up with her winning so much last night and I posted it. Someone here specifically asked me to explain what I didn't like about her and I did. End of story. Chill out already. You can listen to her until the cows come home, makes no difference to me. If we all have a right to our 'subjective' opinions, that includes me as well as you or anyone else. People need not take it so personally when someone dislikes something they like. It's no offense to you, really. :shrug: Chill, it's okay! :happy:

Love your attitude, Kitty :hug:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. That's my motto around here :)

And I have never heard Norah Jones (not that I know of) but I've seen a lot of webpages with info about her. But it happens. I remember when it was, Christina, Britney,Avril (still)... :rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks! I'm standing firmly in the "Norah Jones is wonderful!" camp and thought she was just adorable last night.

corianderstem said:
Different strokes for different folks! I'm standing firmly in the "Norah Jones is wonderful!" camp and thought she was just adorable last night.

:yes: She sort of reminds me of Carole King...I don't know if it's the voice or the style of music or what...maybe a mixture. But when she was playing last night I was just thinking how I wanted to hear another song besides "Don't Know Why." It's a beautiful song, but I wanted to hear something new!

:reject: Am I the only one who doesn't see what's so terrible about Avril Lavigne? :reject: *runs away VERY quickly*

Re: Norah -- If you like "Don't Know Why," you'll probably like the rest of her CD, and I'd highly recommend it. If you want to check out one more song before buying it, give "Come Away With Me" a listen.

Avril just bugs me. I have no good reason, but in my world, that's enough to dislike her! :lol:

I actually don't care for any of that new crop of young singer-songwriters: Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or Ms. Avril. I like that they're getting a lot of airplay, and respect that they write their own songs or whatnot, but I just don't like their songs. Or their voices, Vanessa Carlton's in particular. Oh well!

Last edited:
I was kind of surprised that Norah Jones won as many of the awards that she did. I wouldnt say that I'm really a fan of hers but I think she's alright. To me it's kind of refreshing to see someone like her come through when we have been subjected the likes of Britney, Christina, Pink etc for what seems like ages.

:hmm: I respect Vanessa Carlton's talent...I just don't like her voice. It sounds too whiny and little-girlish for my taste...if all she did was play the piano it would be fine!

corianderstem said:

I actually don't care for any of that new crop of young singer-songwriters: Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or Ms. Avril. I like that they're getting a lot of airplay, and respect that they write their own songs or whatnot, but I just don't like their songs. Or their voices, Vanessa Carlton's in particular. Oh well!

I pretty much feel the same way. I can kind of take them or leave them really. I have always been more drawn to male singers anyway.

Ana said:
I like Avril. I think she's being herself and that I appreciate from a singer :up: I just hate it when an artist gets overrated (except U2 of course :D)

I don't see what's so bad about Avril either. She is not in the same category with Britney, Christina, Mandy and Jessica. She is a songwriter. She has her own unique style. She is the only one of those girl artists I don't turn off when she comes on the radio. I like "Sk8r Boi" it's catchy and entertaining and fun. I like"Complicated" because it kinds of reminds me of something to do with Bono;) and I like the lyrics. They mean something. She's no moaner either. I felt so sorry for her last night when her voice failed her, but it happens to the best. At least she didn't lip synche.

ANA- Congratulations on making Band-Aid just now! :happy: :dance: :up:

U2Kitten said:

I don't see what's so bad about Avril either. She is not in the same category with Britney, Christina, Mandy and Jessica. She is a songwriter. She has her own unique style. She is the only one of those girl artists I don't turn off when she comes on the radio. I like "Sk8r Boi" it's catchy and entertaining and fun. I like"Complicated" because it kinds of reminds me of something to do with Bono;) and I like the lyrics. They mean something. She's no moaner either. I felt so sorry for her last night when her voice failed her, but it happens to the best. At least she didn't lip synche.

ANA- Congratulations on making Band-Aid just now! :happy: :dance: :up:

:yes: And that new song of hers...what's it called? "I'm With You" or something like that, I think. I like that one too.

The Grammys reeked :down: no U2 and I didn't get to see Brandon Boyd :sad: I saw him in the arrival pics but not on TV. I don't even know if Incubus won.

I really wish it were more rock oriented, maybe next year.

If I had to choose one of those girls you all mentioned, I would take Avril first, Pink second. That girl (Jones) winning 8 was like some kind of cruel torture for me. I was like, oh God, not again, and all the while waiting for U2 and Incubus and never seeing them. :sigh:

The Clash thing was the only worthwhile thing. I didn't get it on tape though. :(

Well, the last 2 Grammy shows ruled for me because of U2 doing so well. So I was due for a let down. But I do remember the "O Brother Where Art thou" fiasco :no: when ATYCLB should've won.

Last edited:
Desire4Bono said:
But I do remember the "O Brother Where Art thou" fiasco :no: when ATYCLB should've won.

I threw a hissy when that happened, too. But then I realized that at least it was an album that I liked that won, and not (insert your most-hated band or singer here) . :wink: I was mollified by U2 winning all those other awards, for both "Walk On" and "Beautiful Day" the year prior.

After last night, I feel the same. I was really rooting for Bruce to win best album, but I can't really complain about the one that won.

For both "O Brother" and Norah Jones, I think their wins are almost more of an acknowledgement of what they did, rather than saying, "This one was the best this year." Both CDs were huge and did surprising things on the charts. Everyone likes those out-of-nowhere smashes, I guess.

Okay, I'll shut up now. As you can see by my blatherings, I get all het up about music and can go on and on.

... and on and on and on and on and on ...

Both Norah Jones and "O Brother..." were things that were outside of the norm and did very well commerically so that may have given them a certain edge and helped them stand apart from the rest of the competition.

I've tried to forget the "O Brother" win. My mom was even a tad bit upset by that one.

My Grammy thoughts

I thought by and large the performances at the Grammy's were mostly disappointing. Most of the singers sounded to me like they were off key,

Yuck -
No Doubt (Gwen, I love ya to death, but two words: vocal coach)
Vanessa Carlton or whoever that was (can you say: studio artist)
that annoying teenaged guitar player (get over yourself you nerd)
Simon and Garfunkel (guys, please...cremate yourselves)
Nelly (was Hot In Here really necessary? oh, thats right, Air Force Ones is an unpaid Nike commercial...oops)
Kelly Rowland (girl you sound way better in the studio...were was Patti??!)

Indifferent -
Coldplay (nice um, energy there Chris)
Ashanti - this is where I slept
Eminem w/The Roots - shit, I missed that. I mean, The Roots. Dang.

Better -
James Taylor (but is that a tough song to nail? no)
Dixie Chicks (nice rendition)
Elvis Costello (youre just cool without trying)

Best -
Bruce Springsteen (can you say BROOOOOOCE!)

Im not rating this on my music tastes, as mine go across all those levels,
just on how they performed their respective material last night

They should have aired the MusicCares event instead. From what I heard the performances were better on that show.

No U2 makes the Grammy's a Very Dull Show.

While the Grammys are far from perfect, I've always appreciated how much female artists are recognized by the Recording Academy. Sadly most of the time female artists get less airplay and general support within the music industry, but for whatever reason the Grammys tend to recognize the work of female artists quite a bit. Last night was a perfect example with Norah Jones being the big winner and four of the five Best New Artist nominees being female. While little things like O Brother Where Art Thou and Train beating U2 are incredibly annoying, the fact that Tina Turner, Bonnie Raitt, Lauryn Hill, Norah Jones and dozens of other female artists walk away year after year with armfulls of Grammys gives the show major points in my eyes.

Oh, and I totally noticed this last night as well...

Best Album Notes

Screamin' And Hollerin' The Blues: The Worlds Of Charley Patton
David Evans, album notes writer (Charley Patton)
[Revenant Records]

Looks like Edge has a side job. Good thing, just in case this whole U2 thing doesn't work out.

:lmao:

Re: My Grammy thoughts

gabrielvox said:
James Taylor (but is that a tough song to nail? no)

:grumpy: I think James is one of those people whose voice always seems to hold out pretty well. I saw him in concert a few years ago and it was incredible! His voice wasn't the best I've ever heard it last night, but that was a beautiful performance with that cello dude (whose name escapes me at the moment...my cello-playing roomie would kill me!).

:shrug: Whatever

:hmm: Okay...This might sound weird but I think one of the reasons I enjoyed the Grammys as much as I did this year was that I wasn't all nervous as hell about whether U2 would win or not. Seriously! Awards shows get me all riled up when U2 is involved, and it's very stressful! I think it's like how musicians feel who go to the Grammys just for the heck of it, even if they're not performing or nominated for anything. Does that make ANY sense? :happy:

Back
Top Bottom