Out Of Control - Chapter 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**The following is a work of fiction. No offense intended to anyone, it’s all meant in good fun. Strong language, semi-adult themes

Chapter Twenty-four

“Well this is turning into quite the fucking holiday.” Adam grumbled as he staggered into Edge’s room at his parents house. He flopped down onto his friends bed with a huff and stared at the ceiling. Edge hadn’t exactly been having the time of his life, but he had been hoping a get together with some friends would cheer him up. Adam, apparently, had not been the best choice for his purpose.

“Didn’t get what you want from Santa?” Edge joked dryly. Adam forced a bitter laugh and propped himself up onto his elbows.

“Have you heard from her?” he asked, and Edge blinked in surprise. It only took him a moment to realize he was referring to Holly, but he had not been prepared to discuss her at all.

“Uh… Well, no. Not that I expected to. Why?” He replied, sitting in the straight backed wooden chair in the corner, pulling his guitar onto his lap and strumming a chord or two without a thought.

“I don’t know.” Adam mumbled, digging a flask out of his pocket and taking a drink. He lit a cigarette and offered it to Edge. “At least she said good-bye to you.”

“I didn’t realize it meant so much to you.” Edge told him, taking a drag and handing the cigarette back.

“I had some history with her, as well, you know. I would have expected at least a ‘thanks for the laughs, Adam. Have a nice life.’ Or some such thing. I didn’t even know she was gone until we were on the plane and it was too late to catch her and tell her …” Adam’s words drifted off as he drew in another deep puff of smoke, his eyes narrowing as he gazed absently out the window.

“Tell her what?” Edge prodded.

“Nothing. It doesn’t matter. Probably for the best, anyway.” Adam replied dismissively.

“Adam?” Edge urged him to explain.

“You aren’t the only one who was crazy about her, you know?” Adam said, stubbing his cigarette out in the bottom of a paper cup. “I mean…” He sighed and fell back against the bed again, his eyes searching the ceiling for answers.

“I didn’t realize.” Edge told his friend, his heart feeling as though someone had reached right into his chest and begun to squeeze it. “You love her?”

“I don’t… I mean… I don’t know. It sure felt like it. Still does, I guess.” Adam admitted, running one of his massive hands through his hair.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Edge asked.

“Why didn’t you say anything until after I’d fucked up and made her mad at me?” Adam replied. “You’re a mate. Besides, it seemed like you could make her happy. Happier than I could, at least.”

“Well that didn’t turn out to be true.” Edge said, managing a shaky laugh.

“We’re quite the pair of rock stars, aren’t we?” Adam joked, both of them laughing a bit harder at that. “Can’t even keep one girl between the two of us.”

“That was the problem.” Edge informed his friend. “The two of us.”

“What?”

“I think … I’m almost certain, actually, that she left because she still had feelings for you.” He couldn’t help but smile slightly at the hope that twinkled in his friends eyes. “I think you should talk to her.”

“It’s too late to just ring her up and say, ‘oh, by the way I was hoping you might still have a fond feeling or two for me’.” Adam sighed.

“Go to her.”

“What?”

“Fly out to California for New Years and surprise her. I’ll help you pay your travel expenses.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Consider it… a belated Christmas gift. To both of you.” Edge told him.

“So, what’s wrong with him?” Angie asked from the doorway of Natalie’s room.

“What?” Natalie asked impatiently. She was trying to pack her suitcase, but fitting the new clothes she’d been given into it was a task. Especially considering the fact that she would probably never wear most of them.

“Why aren’t you getting married?” Angie clarified. The bitterness in her voice was palpable. Natalie felt a swell of compassion for her sister. She was clearly lonely; anyone could see it in her eyes.

“It’s complicated.” She told her softly.

“Bull shit. He wants to marry you, you clearly love him, and neither of you are already married or anything. There is no reason you should’ve turned him down.” Angie griped. “I can’t find a decent guy and you toss them away as if they’re tissue paper.”

“I didn’t toss him away, Ang. I just can’t marry him.”

“One of these days, Natalie, he’s going to come to his senses and realize there are thousands of women out there who would do anything for someone like him. He’s a fucking Rock Star for goodness sake! He’s going to look at you and wonder what the hell he’s doing waiting around for someone who treats him like her dirty little secret.” Angie said, her words cutting straight through Natalie. She felt the tears burning her eyes and drew in a deep breath.

“You think that if I marry him, he won’t realize any of that? What difference will a piece of paper make when he has ten or twenty women a day throwing themselves at his feet and begging him to love them?” She snapped, slamming the lid on her suitcase and yanking on the zipper. “He’s a kid with a crush on me. Sure, I’ll take what I can handle from the situation but I’m not about to get in over my head and wind up tossed aside, used and forgotten along his path to success.”

Angie blinked at her sister in shock. The silence between them stretched on for several long, uncomfortable moments before she opened her arms and embraced her sister as Natalie could no longer fight her tears.

“Shh. Shh… I’m sorry. I didn’t really think of it that way.” She apologized, stroking Natalie’s hair. Her sister had already lost so much in her lifetime that now when she looked ahead into her future, all she could see was more loss.

“I love him, Angie. More than I ever meant to. Every morning I wake up and I wonder how much longer this is going to last.” Natalie sniffled, clinging to her baby sister now as she hadn’t done in years.

“Maybe it will. Did you ever think of that? Maybe it’s real. Maybe it’s possible that he loves you so much that those things won’t matter. You keep telling me he’s so different from anyone else you’ve ever known.” Angie suggested, guiding her sister to sit on the bed with her. Natalie pulled away and wiped the tears from her face with the back of her hand.

“I think it’s better to be realistic and look at the facts of the life we lead rather than to delude myself with fairy tales.” Natalie sighed.

“I like fairy tales.” Angie chuckled. “I even think they’re possible. Maybe they only come true for people who believe in them. Isn’t that the nature of faith?”

“When did you turn all wise?” Natalie replied with a little laugh, hugging her sister again.

“I eat a lot of Chinese take out.” Angie replied. “You can learn a lot from fortune cookies.” The two of them sat there, clinging to one another and laughing hysterically for a few moments longer. It had been too long since they’d been as close as this. Natalie promised herself that she would not let it be so long again. She had suspected her sister needed her friendship, but she hadn’t realized until just then that she needed hers as well.

Two chapters at once! And what amazing chapters!!!! :applaud:

I don't know what's your trick, SG, but your characters seem to be real for me. When I read it, it's like I'm watching a movie or more exactly a scene from real life. They are walking around me, I'm sitting in the corner when they're arguing, and even if they don't know, they change my little world. You're a magician, SG, so please never ever lose your magic wand....

Ditto to what scha said! :up:

I love all the different relationships. They're very realistic, and not fake in any way.

I can't wait to see where you're going to go with all the characters. Keep up the great writing!! :hug:

Aww SG, this is just too great!! :hyper:

And I agree with what Scha said... When I read your chapters, I see those persons all walking about, talking to each other, living the situations as described in your story... I just see them, in all their surroundings. It's great :heart: :)

Back
Top Bottom