More Postmodern Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Use "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses."

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
Use "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses."

yeah I actually was thinking that or so cruel or bad or the fly. Gimmee more suggestions! I need nonsense songs!

------------------
~*Mona*~
"We're one, but we're not the same. We get to carry each other"

Zoo Station? Numb? Half the songs on Zooropa?!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Discoteque:
is Elvis Presley and America 'post modern' enough? That's sure is one oddball song, even for U2...the one song they'll never do live!
smile.gif

disco

I gotta listen to that and see. *leans toward snooker hall* Em...

also here I am whining ALL THE U2 SONGS ARE TOO PRETTEEEEEE....

Lol if I played discoteque I'd start dancing or something. I gotta listen to Zooropa. That is a weird album...
smile.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~

bbllllleeeeeehhhhhh

sorry sorry to spoil all your hormones.

OK getting into the whole postmodern paper and basically what qualifies as being postmodern is stuff that doesn't make any sense. Are there any U2 songs that don't make sense? I so want an excuse to use them.

All I can think of are random Tori Amos songs. Love that girl but the whole tuna rubber blubber in my igloo thing is so beyond me it has to be postmodern.

I want the project to be fun!!! I found some sites that are all "the electronic media helps poetry" so I get to have music and videos yaay But I need examples. *fret* I can write the paper!

But america needs your help PLEBA in finding songs! U2 or otherwise (*sniff* I'm lowering my standards)After this, there will be no more talk of postmodern poetry! I swear!!

I'll give you preeeseeennnttss!

------------------
~*Mona*~

As I understand it, post modernism is all about taking bits from other times / sources / contexts and putting them together in a way that articulates your subjective experience of the world. I think that post-modernism is also about questing for something "new" something that's never been done before, and the very words "post modernism" suggest a cynicsm towards "modernism" which was a movement in which artists were in love with the promise of the future.
Long story short ... I think Zooropa is a great choice.
I could be confusing deconstructivism with post modernism a bit here, but check it out.
-Bluey

------------------
"EEEEEDGE, BEDAZZLE MEEEEEEEEE!" :)

Originally posted by blueeyes:
As I understand it, post modernism is all about taking bits from other times / sources / contexts and putting them together in a way that articulates your subjective experience of the world. I think that post-modernism is also about questing for something "new" something that's never been done before, and the very words "post modernism" suggest a cynicsm towards "modernism" which was a movement in which artists were in love with the promise of the future.
I could be confusing deconstructivism with post modernism a bit here, but check it out.
-Bluey

Well, you're certainly confusing me
biggrin.gif

I've never seen so many big words on a PLEBA thread.

Are intellectual posts supposed to be allowed on PLEBA ?
wink.gif

Originally posted by blueeyes:
-Bluey

*cries* Bluey! You're not my friend anymore! Lol jk It's not YOUR fault ppl turned crazy after WWII. Eh...I'm goin to the library soon anyway. They BETTER have something good there.

I wanna use the One video with the buffalo. That was weird.

------------------
~*Mona*~

OK OK OK
after Wed this will ALL be over!

but first:

"Does it draw upon the forms or language or material objects of popular culture? Does it revel in playful ironey and language experimentation? Does the author inrtude, addressing the reader directly, talking about the work itself, or even appearing as a character in it?....all are telltale signs of postmodernism"

OMG!!! Can I use the playboy mansion?????!!!!!!!!! (song!)

hoo-ah!!!!

everyone nod and say yes. I don't care if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

PS I forgot what was in the Rugby thread, opened it, and fell off my chair. I will be the color of a tomato the rest of the day.

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviors of rock 'n' roll and all that, but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from." ~Bob Dylan~

"What you don't have, you don't need it now. What you don't know, you can feel it somehow." ~U2~

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

I leave for three days, and WildHonee is a refugee? *sniff* they grow up so fast! Why, I remember when she was but a lowly fly like myself, buzzing around the corridors of Pleba!

P.S.- At sidwell we have something called HOMEWORK!
biggrin.gif
j/k, obviously you do too, hence this thread. Hmm. I agree with ppl that Zooropa is a good bet (especially the 2nd half). and bluey, that was one impressive discourse!

Mona hun, what class is this for? Cuz I'm sitting here, racking my brain, trying to help a fellow PLEBAian out.
frown.gif
Sigh.

Damn, I have an AA in Liberal Arts and a BA in English Lit., you'd think I would have a clue about post-modernism!
eek.gif

I have to tell ya hon, I went to Yahoo and put Post-Modernism in search and it came up with a site about John Hawkes and it was rather scary and way too over your head.

But then I thought, okay, put in Post-Modernist Music. Guess what it came up with:

lawrence welk, post-modernist
Can you ladies believe it? Lawrence Welk a post-modernist!!!???? LMAO. My great grandmother who spoke nothing but Italian loved to watch that show Saturday night. Polka power!

tania

Okay, I have no life and I have to get to bed so I won't be thoroughly exhasuted for work tomorrow.
mad.gif

But I was a woman with a mission: find some post-modern music for our Mona.

Very hard. I asked Jeeves, the dude was little help. So I went to dogpile.com and that was more helpful.

Here's another link to checkout: http://www.azstarnet.com/~solo/postmod.htm

This simplifies the contrasts between Modernism and Postmodernism. Hopefully it will help.

As far as U2 is concerned, well, I would suggest most songs off Zooropa or Pop.

tania

Originally posted by BittersweetGirl:
I leave for three days, and WildHonee is a refugee? *sniff* they grow up so fast! Why, I remember when she was but a lowly fly like myself, buzzing around the corridors of Pleba!

P.S.- At sidwell we have something called HOMEWORK!
biggrin.gif
j/k, obviously you do too, hence this thread. Hmm. I agree with ppl that Zooropa is a good bet (especially the 2nd half). and bluey, that was one impressive discourse!
1. I'm gettin old!
2. I have a million projects but this is MAJOR and U2-related I hope
smile.gif

3. What does "Zooropa" mean anyway?!

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviors of rock 'n' roll and all that, but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from." ~Bob Dylan~

"What you don't have, you don't need it now. What you don't know, you can feel it somehow." ~U2~

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

MISTYROSE IS MY NEW SOULMATE
past soulmates include
Gina Marie
Bluey
hehe they'll be needing to settle my hash.

OK
1. Misty those SITES are a big help! Nowhere else can I find what postmodernism is in a way that I can relate it to the new media.

2. AP English is not a lot of work so far but I think I'm getting gray hair. I HAD to pick something complicated.

3. My thing is how the qualities of postmodernism affect new media. *manipulated to use U2*

4. I have Walk On and some other vids (by not so reputible artists heheh) to do a little thing about WHAT the poetic is bc basically postmodern poetry IS the poetic. *eh*

These sites will help me lots and lots. Thank you muchly all!!
1. Good grades = parents like me more
2. Parents like me more = I get to do stuff
3. I get to do stuff = el-e-va-tion!

woo-oo!!!!!

------------------
~*Mona*~

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

Mona,

Glad to be of assistance to a fellow PLEBAn!
smile.gif

Please let us or at least me know how the project turns out. And in your bibliography, you can cite "my PLEBA soulmate" as one of your sources!
wink.gif
LOL.

Wow, that is soo awesome that I have a soulmate here in PLEBA land! I've always wanted one. You love me, you really love me!

tania

Back
Top Bottom