MERGED --> Larry and cats: a side by side comparison + FINALLY-the REAL reason LARRY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sicy said:
FYI if this thread continues to turn into a cat bashing thread I will close it. It's fine to say you dislike cats, I dislike dogs but I wouldnt say the best kind of dogs are dead :| That's just rude. Please keep the rude comments to yourself. I am a cat lover and so is the owner of this board and since it is privately owned and operated, we decide what is allowed to be posted here and cat bashing will absolutely not be tolerated.

THANKS SICY !!

I actually felt physically sick at some of the nasty remmarks-especially the one about best cat is a dead cat :sick:

I actully had tears in my eyes cause its so horrid and shows the dark side of human nature

HERES SOMEMORE LOVELY THINGS ABOUT CATS:

When my daughter is ill one of my my cats knows instantly, lies on her stomach and purrs,or her head or leg or where ever she hurts and the purring makes the pain disappear-purring is great if you've got a headache!!

I'm alone in my house for a few days and I've felt abit down as I won't see my family for a few days and my Russian blue has layedacross my heart all night purring my loneliness and depression away
cats are wonderful....my other half was brought up with dogs and thought he didn't like cats till he met me:giggle: now he coo's over them and loves them as much as me:heart:

I've turned allot of my friends into cat lovers cause they come round and see what wonderful pets they are:heart: some of my friends are cat lovers anyway....

Last edited:
DON'T KNOW IF I'M ALLOWED TO DO THIS BUT.....

To all fellow feline lovers and owners,I've been buying the most amazing cat collars from ebay,from a lady in Arizona,she makes them really safe and sells diamonte collars and jeweled collars

they are so reasonably priced and she takes great care to make them safety collars

if you go to ebay and search under member name: corkidecat

you will find her wonderful collection
she's a cat lover herself and ships worldwide really fast
the collars are really gorgeous and she ships really fast and doesn't charge over the top for shipping...

IF THIS IS NOT ALLOWED-SORRY-JUST REMOVE IT
just a recommendation to have all our kittys looking a million dollars as they should-she sells small dog collars too but mainly for cats...

* corkidecat receives mass stampede of cat loving U2 fans rushing to her shop on ebay to buy the beautiful collars*-she'd end up being the U2 fan's cats collar supplier!!!!!!!!!!!'

Last edited:
:cute: passingcat i love your kitty cats, they sound so great :heart:
I love cats and dogs, I love animals, and it makes me sick how people can go out and hurt them, but I think its cute that Larry has a phobia/s, it shows that he's got a soft side too

hay said:
:cute: passingcat i love your kitty cats, they sound so great :heart:
I love cats and dogs, I love animals, and it makes me sick how people can go out and hurt them, but I think its cute that Larry has a phobia/s, it shows that he's got a soft side too

awww thanks-you know-Larry is just afraid of kittys isn't he

he could easily be brought around by the right person

I had a bad experience as a child too-I was stroking this ginger tom very gently and he was loving it for several minutes-then suddenly he lashed out and scratched me and ran off-I eventually found out the owners kids tormented him on and off so although he at first enjoyed my affections he lashed out to say 'keep it that way' as he was used to being petted but then subjected to torment...

Though nursing a scratched arm,I was facinated and followed him trying to win him over-I remember being on my hands and knees trying to call him back out from beneath a car-saying 'its oK I won't hurt you' something in his eyes told me he understood me and although he didn't come out-he was taken aback that although he'd injured me, I still wanted to love him and show affection...

after our episode..I encountered the cat again many times during my childhood and he always ran over to me let me pet him and never scratched me again or ran off....I hope I resored some of his faith in children...

what I'm saying is: there's always a reason a cat lashes out-they don't ever do it for the heck of it-its normally if they have had a bad experience themselves :)

Last edited:
You're quite the cat enthusiast, aren't you, passingcat? I love the little furry beasts too, myself. I only have one, but she's a wonderful crossbread (maine coon and american shorthair, I think) and one of the friendliest animals you could ever neet.

passingcat said:

awww thanks-you know-Larry is just afraid of kittys isn't he

I'm saying is: there's always a reason a cat lashes out-they don't ever do it for the heck of it-its normally if they have had a bad experience themselves :)

He is also afraid of needles, from what I've read,and I agree with you, all the cats I have known have had wonderful and loving personalities.

passingcat said:

THANKS SICY !!

I actually felt physically sick at some of the nasty remmarks-especially the one about best cat is a dead cat :sick:

I actully had tears in my eyes cause its so horrid and shows the dark side of human nature

HERES SOMEMORE LOVELY THINGS ABOUT CATS:

When my daughter is ill one of my my cats knows instantly, lies on her stomach and purrs,or her head or leg or where ever she hurts and the purring makes the pain disappear-purring is great if you've got a headache!!

I'm alone in my house for a few days and I've felt abit down as I won't see my family for a few days and my Russian blue has layedacross my heart all night purring my loneliness and depression away
cats are wonderful....my other half was brought up with dogs and thought he didn't like cats till he met me:giggle: now he coo's over them and loves them as much as me:heart:

I've turned allot of my friends into cat lovers cause they come round and see what wonderful pets they are:heart: some of my friends are cat lovers anyway....

:cute: you're cats sound really sweet! thats what i love about animals theyre always there for you and know when youre upset or illby intuition, i miss my dog and cats :heart:

as for larry and his phobia of cats, well we all have phobias, mine is snakes and birds :yikes:

lets get the thread back to how it started, really funny with the cat/larry comparisions :lol: though im too tired to think of one:reject:

and sicy :applaud:

When I was a little girl I remember my parents bringing me to a farm and there were tons of kittens in the barn. I picked one up and of course kitten claws are so sharp, it was scratching me up and I freaked out! I was thinking ok maybe I dont like kittens :hmm:

Then when I was about 6 or so my grandmothers cat actually bit me. I think I was petting the back end of him or his tail and he was a really old cat and tempermental I guess. Well he bit me, and my wrist turned blue and I screamed and cried to my grandmother. It was very scary.

But for some reason, despite the bad experiences, today I love cats more than just about anything in this world. I know now how you are supposed to approach them, and treat them and when you treat them right they will turn around and show you so much love in return it is the best feeling in the world.

Saki my little man plays fetch. It's the cutest thing ever. He's playing right now in fact with my boyfriend. He loves to fetch those rainbow mice that rattle. You can throw it over and over, a million times and each time he'll come running back with it in his mouth and drop it right by your feet, then rub all over you, meow and back up and wait for you to throw it again :laugh: He will actually fetch just about anything you throw.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/sakifetchqtip4.jpg

He also comes up at night and purrs in my ear, lays on my chest and 'makes bread' in my hair and licks my earlobes. He is the sweetest cat ever. And so nice, wouldnt hurt a fly.

Zoey is my beautiful green eyed polydactyl cat. She has extra 'thumbs' on her paws and such a feisty personality. I think she takes after her mom lol. I can chat with her for hours. She loves to talk to me. She answers my questions, she comes running at me full speed when I call her and she loves to give head bumps to everyone.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/zoeygrneyestoes2.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/boonoflashwin3.jpg

Cats dont just shit and kill birds.

I've only been around a few cats in my lifetime, mainly thanks to friends who've owned them, but every one that I've come across has been very friendly-no scratching, no hissing, no attacks on me of any kind. They actually mostly just slept whenever I'd be over at the friends' houses :p. Or they'd be up, do something funny for a brief time (like one cat my friend Rachel had-anytime the toilet in her house would flush, the cat would dash into the bathroom and watch the water go down the drain :D), then go off into another part of the house and just hang out there the rest of the time.

Angela

Sicy said:
When I was a little girl I remember my parents bringing me to a farm and there were tons of kittens in the barn. I picked one up and of course kitten claws are so sharp, it was scratching me up and I freaked out! I was thinking ok maybe I dont like kittens :hmm:

Then when I was about 6 or so my grandmothers cat actually bit me. I think I was petting the back end of him or his tail and he was a really old cat and tempermental I guess. Well he bit me, and my wrist turned blue and I screamed and cried to my grandmother. It was very scary.

But for some reason, despite the bad experiences, today I love cats more than just about anything in this world. I know now how you are supposed to approach them, and treat them and when you treat them right they will turn around and show you so much love in return it is the best feeling in the world.

Saki my little man plays fetch. It's the cutest thing ever. He's playing right now in fact with my boyfriend. He loves to fetch those rainbow mice that rattle. You can throw it over and over, a million times and each time he'll come running back with it in his mouth and drop it right by your feet, then rub all over you, meow and back up and wait for you to throw it again :laugh: He will actually fetch just about anything you throw.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/sakifetchqtip4.jpg

He also comes up at night and purrs in my ear, lays on my chest and 'makes bread' in my hair and licks my earlobes. He is the sweetest cat ever. And so nice, wouldnt hurt a fly.

Zoey is my beautiful green eyed polydactyl cat. She has extra 'thumbs' on her paws and such a feisty personality. I think she takes after her mom lol. I can chat with her for hours. She loves to talk to me. She answers my questions, she comes running at me full speed when I call her and she loves to give head bumps to everyone.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/zoeygrneyestoes2.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2186/boonoflashwin3.jpg

Cats dont just shit and kill birds.

Arhhhhhhh you're cats sound absolutely gorgeous
Sicy-you and I would be good friends-I always get along with cat lovers

Prob the same reason as me ie: they are horrible lil fekers. I survived an unprovoked attack (or a bite) from one wen i was ickle and have HATED em since. Only good cat is a dead one eh Larry :wink:

Hatred or phobia? My thoughts on the matter.

passingcat said:
But right now, the taut, tough beat-master is observing a cute kitten as it skitters across the bare boards toward him. The tiny ball of fur, no bigger than one of his sneakers, suddenly lunges and the fearless drummer shrieks like a girl. “I hate cats,” he shudders, pathetically attempting to regain his composure. “I had a terrible experience with one as a child.”

That sounds more like a phobia rather than out-and-out hatred. The fact that he screamed and shuddered rather than kicking it or throwing something at it points to the phobia theory.

Most of the people I've met who truly hate cats tend to be nasty misogynists as well. :( (Yes, this goes for other women as well as men.) Larry definitely does not strike me as one who hates or demeans women.

I think therapy could help him overcome his phobia. Or even just meeting the right cat. My brother claimed he hated cats until he took a very sweet and beautiful calico in, now she has him wrapped around her little paw. :)

Re: Hatred or phobia? My thoughts on the matter.

Sue DeNym said:

That sounds more like a phobia rather than out-and-out hatred. The fact that he screamed and shuddered rather than kicking it or throwing something at it points to the phobia theory.

Most of the people I've met who truly hate cats tend to be nasty misogynists as well. :( (Yes, this goes for other women as well as men.) Larry definitely does not strike me as one who hates or demeans women.

I think therapy could help him overcome his phobia. Or even just meeting the right cat. My brother claimed he hated cats until he took a very sweet and beautiful calico in, now she has him wrapped around her little paw. :)

So you're a doctor then eh? Maybe he doesn't want therapy, maybe he's quite content the way he is, maybe people who don't like cats have had a bad experience or maybe just maybe they don't like that type of animal (or any animals) and could really care less whether those animals existed...doesn't mean they're going to run them over with a car intentially or beat them with a cane.....sometimes it's best not to read too much into anything anybody says......and keep living and breathing and accepting the way things/people are.....

Re: Re: Hatred or phobia? My thoughts on the matter.

MsGiggles said:

So you're a doctor then eh? Maybe he doesn't want therapy, maybe he's quite content the way he is, maybe people who don't like cats have had a bad experience or maybe just maybe they don't like that type of animal (or any animals) and could really care less whether those animals existed...doesn't mean they're going to run them over with a car intentially or beat them with a cane.....sometimes it's best not to read too much into anything anybody says......and keep living and breathing and accepting the way things/people are.....

the word 'dead' is too strong though and hurts real bad suggesting thats the best option for cats-its hurt allot of people on this thread so you have to be careful what you say and remember people's feelings ,cause that was very insensitive-
go back and read how people have been hurt and angered by what you said and why-then re-think:(

I'm not back on here for a few days as I've got business to attend to... so if you want to take a pop shot at me I won't be back to answer and probly won't answer anyway cause I've said my piece... but I'm sure cat lovers will defend my cause
:heart:

Last edited:
I can't believe I haven't had a chance to visit this thread all day!! As you can all tell from my name, I am a big fan of cats. I am also a big fan of Larry, have been since 1986. I've decided not to hold his fear of cats against him. :)

I have six, plus a geriatric Chihuahua who is sort of like a cat in that he is quite small and sleeps all day.

Now, for those who can't understand why it upsets cat-lovers when others say unkind things about them or joke about hurting them...try this exersize:

Take the sentence "the only good cat is a dead cat"; remove the word "cat", and replace it with your choice from the list below (or feel free to come up with others, this is just an example)...

--minority
--disabled person
--baby/child

How does it sound now?

Hmmm... I've never trusted people who hate cats. :grumpy:

Catlady said:
...try this exersize:

Take the sentence "the only good cat is a dead cat"; remove the word "cat", and replace it with your choice from the list below (or feel free to come up with others, this is just an example)...

--minority
--disabled person
--baby/child

How does it sound now?

You actually believe your animals are more important than humans? It's your life......but if you're going to place humans on your list, why didn't you come up with ones such as

- child molester
- serial rapist/killer

Not everybody took the joke as insensitive and even after an apology, passingcat continued to harp on the subject....saying her piece over and over and......

Have a good day.

I don't beleive I said my animals were more important than humans anywhere in that post. What I asked was that people think about what had been said in a more circumspect way and show some sensitivity.

Catlady said:
I don't beleive I said my animals were more important than humans anywhere in that post. What I asked was that people think about what had been said in a more circumspect way and show some sensitivity.

....you obviously don't venture too far outside of PLEBA...'cos there's not a whole lot of "sensitivity" on some of the other boards/threads I've read where people are discussing God, politics, music....just about anything - and are expressing "their" views and questioning or belittling others who don't think the way they do...as you are doing

I say drop it...breath in breath out.........this board is about U2, not animals....

I'm not sure where you would get the idea that I have "belittled" you or anyone else. All I did was ask you to look at that statement a different way.

If you want people to listen to you and take you seriously, you might want to stop attributing things to them that they never said.

Sicy said:
She answers my questions, she comes running at me full speed when I call her and she loves to give head bumps to everyone.

Worf does that :cute:. She likes to get belly rubs too, but only when she thinks the time is right :lol:.

I think she's getting old though. I've noticed she hestitates before jumping up on the bed and sometimes it takes her a couple of false starts before she makes it :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom