I bought my bass guitar!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine's wine red...but this is it!! I still have no idea how to play it...so if anyone knows any good websites I'd appreciate it! *dances around*
biggrin.gif

0136100_md.jpg

congrats girl. Bass players rock. I?ve been playing for almost 4 years now and I love it.

So what kind of bass did you get? I?ve got 2 basses, one really cheap no-name bass and an Ibanez Soundgear which I love.

Feel free to ask me anything you like and I have sheet music as well.

BTW - Elizabeth - I still have your copies of the music you wanted. But I need your addy
smile.gif
-> am_iceland@hotmail.com

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

AM, I got a Fender P-bass. 4-string cause my lil hands couldn't reach all the way around 5.
smile.gif
I feel all professional when I talk like this! lol I'm going to be on a quest to learn how to play now.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Official Statement from Me: Do not be alarmed. This purchase of a bass has not affected my overwhelming undying I wanna stalk...err talk to Lardence. :D Drums are too complicated and expensive! lol

Wow!! Where did you get it? Inquiring minds want to know.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge

Originally posted by clarityat3am:
AM, I got a Fender P-bass. 4-string cause my lil hands couldn't reach all the way around 5.
smile.gif
I feel all professional when I talk like this! lol I'm going to be on a quest to learn how to play now.
biggrin.gif

lol, I got an Ibanez cause

1) it sounds deadly and
2) I?ve got very small hands and me little fingers have problems with the big, clumsy p-neck

but congrats! Bass players rock!!!

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I shouldn't have gone into this thread... A year or so ago I mentioned to my parents that I might want to play guitar, so they got my grandpa to buy me one. But I really don't want to play. I feel bad about it and am kinda afraid of showing interest in instruments now.... But I think I want to take up bass. o_o I'll save the sites and advice in this thread...
smile.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Originally posted by AM:
lol, I got an Ibanez cause

1) it sounds deadly and
2) I?ve got very small hands and me little fingers have problems with the big, clumsy p-neck

but congrats! Bass players rock!!!

I don't have any problems getting my fingers around it...it's really pretty comfy.
biggrin.gif
I picked up a little Korg tuner today too...so I won't play out of key when I finally figure out how to play. lol

Originally posted by UV2001:
Go and look for the bass tabs for WOWY because it is probably the easiest thing ever to play and it sounds good
smile.gif

you need no tabs, just play D A B# G. All 8th notes. I normally play it all on my e-string and slide from one note to the other....

aw, just beautiful
smile.gif

------------------

OK here's my question of the day...what note do I tune each of my strings too. Umm..pretty much explain the whole deal about how to do everything...like everything...lol. Help! (Remember I have no idea how to do anything yet.)

OK here's my question of the day...what note do I tune each of my strings too. Umm..pretty much explain the whole deal about how to do everything...like everything...lol. Help! (Remember I have no idea how to do anything yet.)

When my brother's not around to help me, I tune my geetar off the Internet. There are sites that will play you the notes how they're supposed to sound, and you just play around with the knob thingies until it sounds the same...or something.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

OMG I think I tuned it all by myself! lol YAY!

------------------
Official Statement from Me: Do not be alarmed. This purchase of a bass has not affected my overwhelming undying I wanna stalk...err talk to Lardence. :D Drums are too complicated and expensive! lol

Congrats Clarity! I'm getting a real urge to buy a guitar. Why must I be a poor college student, Why! I must save up and buy one this summer.

------------------
~*~Keep your head up cause today's gonna come...Midnight...she can't sleep she's afraid to dream...my spanish rose~*~

Yay Clarity!

I'm with Lise on the poor college student thing...BLARGH!

*rubs lamp*

GENIE: I will grant you one wish....

HIPPY: WAIT a minute...aren't I supposed to get THREE?

GENIE: The economy's going down the toilet, so we've gotta save...

HIPPY: But the basic principle of economic growth is that you are supposed to spend money to boost the economy...

GENIE: Shut up, you! You only get one!

HIPPY: *pouts*

GENIE: Make it good!

HIPPY: *ponders* !!!!!! Okay, I've got it! I want the complete U2, instruments and all! There, that solves my problem of wanting to learn how to play!

GENIE: *crosses arms, nods head* POOF!

HIPPY: Why did you SAY poof? Isn't that supposed to be the noise that's made?

GENIE: Would you just shut up and let me work?

HIPPY: Sorry...

GENIE: Okay, close your eyes and put on this blindfold...

HIPPY: OMFD! You mean I get the BLINDFOLD TOO! *faints*

GENIE: Dammit, those PLEBAns always do that! Okay, you can look now...

*hippy opens her eyes and sees a shouded figure before her, she pulls off the shroud...*

HIPPY: WTF!?!? IT'S U2 IN CARDBOARD! *mumbles* Stupid genie...blargh...NOW what am I gonna do?

smile.gif

------------------
ALOTWU!!!!

"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

do you still wantto know this???

ok, first string (the thickest) = E
then A
then D
then G

Adam sometimes tunes his bass down half step, but you don?t need to do that.

And for the tuning - I usually cheat and use my tuner, too
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by AM:
do you still wantto know this???

ok, first string (the thickest) = E
then A
then D
then G

Adam sometimes tunes his bass down half step, but you don?t need to do that.

And for the tuning - I usually cheat and use my tuner, too
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks AM! I finally did get it...thank goodness for that tuner (even if it did drive me nuts at first! lol).

If I buy an electric guitar this year, I will blame clarity for corrupting me. Yes, I already have a Martin acoustic, but now I'm itchin' to go electric. Can I be in your band, clarity?

Girl, you just go get you one of these tuners (this one's about $60, but there are cheaper ones) and don't worry your pretty little head about it further:

213010.t.jpg

and bookmark www.musiciansfriend.com

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-26-2002).]

Oh crap, I see you already have a tuner? I read this thread, really I did...but I missed that part.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
If I buy an electric guitar this year, I will blame clarity for corrupting me. Yes, I already have a Martin acoustic, but now I'm itchin' to go electric. Can I be in your band, clarity?

Yeah...but if I'm in it we'd have to call it Sucky U2. lol Give me a few months!
biggrin.gif

So will the dexterity come in time? Cause it's hard to make my fingers all bendy and on different strings. lol *wonders*

heh I know what you mean. I only started playing geetar a week ago (and a day) but I've already become better at putting my fingers in the right place and keeping them there. I know bass is a bit different....but if you practice (slowly at first, dear God sometimes it's too slow
smile.gif
) you get better at it.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

So will the dexterity come in time? Cause it's hard to make my fingers all bendy and on different strings. lol *wonders*

Yes, it will come--after the blood, sweat and tears! Just kidding. I've never played bass before (except for when I pretend my acoustic is a bass). Are you going to look for a teacher? I actually did cry during some of my lessons but I'm the overly sensitive type. And I wasn't entirely joking about the blood either...BUT, don't let me scare you. It's tough in the begining, but once you learn that first song, it feels so good you forget about the pain (just like having a baby
biggrin.gif
).

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Yes, it will come--after the blood, sweat and tears! Just kidding. I've never played bass before (except for when I pretend my acoustic is a bass). Are you going to look for a teacher? I actually did cry during some of my lessons but I'm the overly sensitive type. And I wasn't entirely joking about the blood either...BUT, don't let me scare you. It's tough in the begining, but once you learn that first song, it feels so good you forget about the pain (just like having a baby
biggrin.gif
).

*wonders if this is good or bad* lol
tongue.gif

yeah, your fingers get used to it. Eventuallu, but I think that it?s harder when you play guitar, the strings are so much thinner and really cut your fingers.

I use to get bruises though, when I try to slap. So I normally do anything just to avoid slapping. But I think my mates are gettin suspicious...

One thing, try and get an teacher. You learn so much more and it?s so much more fun

------------------

Originally posted by AM:
yeah, your fingers get used to it. Eventuallu, but I think that it?s harder when you play guitar, the strings are so much thinner and really cut your fingers.

I use to get bruises though, when I try to slap. So I normally do anything just to avoid slapping. But I think my mates are gettin suspicious...

One thing, try and get an teacher. You learn so much more and it?s so much more fun

I will if I can afford it...I kinda blew all my moolah getting it. But I love it! We'll see where I am in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom