Further integration of U2 in school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHonee

Mr. MacPhisto's Loo Cleaner
OK -- question for all the smartypantses:

I'm still working on the social justice thing, but there's another project. Post-modern poetry.

I have looked and looked and cannot figure out what exactly it is except poetry after WW2. Is that all? WOuld it make sense at all to say that it's not just poetry in the strictest sense? Like could I say that music can be categorized as post-modern poetry?

In other words -- can I play U2 for my english class?! Or would that just be wrong? I still have over a week but I gotta get crackin! I love pleba

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I'd like to thank you for letting me rub up against you!" ~Bono~

"I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me"

Hmmmm, that is a good question. I have no idea how strict your schools are in America, so you should probably check it out first.

But if you make a point that you are studying the choice of language, its symbolism, beauty, post Modern context, and philosphical depth explored by Bono's lyrics; rather than the fact you are a raving U2 fan who would take advantage of every possible situation to get them involved in it somehow!

I see no real problem, what is the context you are you looking at anyway?

I only know about English poets I'm afraid-Thom Gunn, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney etc... I am sure Bono's writing has just as much to draw from, marvel at and interpret.

Goodluck with the study!

Originally posted by Macphisto_esq:
Hmmmm, that is a good question. I have no idea how strict your schools are in America, so you should probably check it out first.

But if you make a point that you are studying the choice of language, its symbolism, beauty, post Modern context, and philosphical depth explored by Bono's lyrics; rather than the fact you are a raving U2 fan who would take advantage of every possible situation to get them involved in it somehow!

I see no real problem, what is the context you are you looking at anyway?B]
We were just supposed to pick a topic from this list we got, and my group (well 2 ppl) got stuck with "What is post-modern poetry?" That's it! We have to write 2 papers and do a presentation too.

I'm sure I can figure out a way to make U2 relevant to it, but I just didn't know if music counts as post-modern poetry or post-modern anything! *grunt*

------------------
~*Mona*~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow."

Oooooh sounds like fun! (Sarcasm)

Reminds me of when I had to write an essay on how Shakespeare's-'The Tempest' was a 'political play' -No way for putting U2 in that one.

Yeah I'm sure you can argue for song lyrics being Post-Modern poetry- they are from the right time anyway, besides it is an open ended Question, you should have the leway to take the answer along that route and interpret it how you see fit.

(Sorry for sounding all 'School-teacher')

If you can get U2 into it it will make it far more enjoyable!

i would say that music could count as post modern poetry. 'cause it was after WWII that lyrics in songs really became poetry. (bob dylan, etc.) i think modern poetry eclipses more then sonnets and couplets. don't really know, though...

U2 is poetry!

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

hmmm... Ok, i really don't know much about poetry. bono is definitely a poet, but i'm not sure if his lyrics would be classified as poems (in the strict sense of the word). however, i remember reading somewhere that bono "stole" a line from a poem when he wrote "there is a silence that comes to a house when no one can sleep"... i can't for the life of me remember whose poem it was, but flanagan talks about it in "U2 at the end of the world". i'll try to find out which poet it was who originally wrote that- maybe he is classified as "post-modern", and then you could use him to sort-of reference U2!

i'll get back to you on that one....
smile.gif

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i would say that music could count as post modern poetry. 'cause it was after WWII that lyrics in songs really became poetry. (bob dylan, etc.) i think modern poetry eclipses more then sonnets and couplets. don't really know, though...

U2 is poetry!
eeeeeeehhhhhh I wanna use them so bad!!!! *Mona rebels*

------------------
~*Mona*~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow."

I responded to your post in It's a Musical Journey, WildHonee. I don't know if it's any help, but you could have a look.
smile.gif

------------------
"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

9-11

Geez after today I have a feeling my social justice project will be a lot bigger. I'll check out your post GiantLemon. Thanks for everyone's help

Pray pray pray

------------------
~*Mona*~

Back
Top Bottom