Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_gal

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Sorry, I have no idea where to post this!!

I was just wondering have any of the boys ever had drug issues?

I know that Adam was a rebel in his earlier days lol! And I know that "Bad" is about a heroin addiction.

I heard that Bono is a bit of a cannabis smoker but I dont no wether to beleive it!

Anyone know of this?

Thanks.

I used to have a couple of magazine articles in which they discussed this, briefly. Since it is obviously a sensitive topic, I don't want to comment directly on it and mis-speak.

(although I'm pretty certain in one of those articles Bono says drugs just were never really his thing,
and I know that Adam's legal troubles were over Marijuna)

I'll see if I can find and scan those articles for you

Bono has often been asked about it and he always denied it. He also said that his mates have been through it.
I never heard anything about him smoking cannabis and I don’t have a reason not to believe him. He has admitted his drinking problem, his frustration about his height, etc, if he had had a serious problem with drugs he would have admitted it too.

i agree, bono would have admitted if he had a problem. he is an open kind of guy. however, if you were asking larry, you wouldn't get anywhere!

Edgette said:
Should we re-tell the tale of Edge and the mushrooms? :wink:

I seem to remember a story about edge and shrooms - but i cant remember it exactly - could you remind us Edgette?:wink:

Basically, Edge aquired some psychadellic mushrooms and being the scientist that he is, he decided to take the entire bag instead of just one. He locked himself in the room and basically just tripped out for hours. He fell asleep and woke up because he thought he heard his wife calling him. When he did, he suddenly realized that he knew the secret of the universe. So he grabbed a tape recorder and recorded the secret of the universe and, being satisfied, went back to sleep. When he woke up again, he remembered what he recorded and went to play it back. It was all nonsense because he was speaking into the back of the tape recorder, thus he totally missed talking into the microphone.

Bono talks about drugs in Bono In Conversation. I just read that part yesterday but I can't remember exactly what he said, maybe someone can transcribe it.

He basically says drugs, alcohol are no good..that's it in a nutshell :wink:

While on the subject of 'shrooms, here's an excerpt from an interview Hot Press did with the musician Tricky, in September 2001:

"Are there any celebrity musicians you do get along with?"

"Actually, I get on with Bono real well. He’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. He’s nothing like what I first expected. For one of the biggest rock stars in the world, he’s so not a celebrity. He’s almost like a comedian celebrity. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I took mushrooms with him in Jamaica and I was just rolling on the floor, man. There aren’t many people I’d just listen to telling stories, but when I’m with him, I can sit down and listen to him for two or three hours and just not say anything. You know, he can do impressions of people and shit. He cracks me up. I just like Bono’s personality, full stop. What I like about him is that he doesn’t hate anything. Like me, I hate everything. His attitude is to be cool with everybody. I sometimes wish I could be more like that."

This is from an interview in i-D magazine, 1993.

2f37918a.jpg

MrsSpringsteen said:

He basically says drugs, alcohol are no good..that's it in a nutshell :wink:

Not quite. He says if you abuse drugs or alcohol, they will abuse you right back. I think the key word there is "abuse" (note: not "use") which could be interprested in a number of different ways.

kellyahern said:

I know the secret of the universe, it's simple. :shifty:

The answer is . . . . . . . . . . .

42 :wink:

I was hoping it was 52. Speaking of drugs, I was arguing with my husband about his age. I thought he was 44, seems he's 45 which makes me 52 not 51. I was lost for a few months there.

Last edited:
* MoFo * said:
of course hes tried drugs

(the pop era has hints of ecstacy use imo)

Drugs!!!! :lmao: I thought it was just a mid life crisis!!!:shifty:

Last edited:
I thought he said in "Bono In Conversation" (or somewhere else) that he would neither confirm nor deny any drug use. Am I misremembering?

the tales of him using magic mushrooms (a perfectly natural drug) just proves to me that he is a very respectful user of such drugs and they have definately influenced u2s music

i remember reading something on the internet where he was asked 'do you do any drugs?' (or something to that effect) and he replied 'no, the colours are bright enough already'

alot of drugs make colours appear brighter so i think hes replying with the voice of experience :)

LostAtMoon said:
He probably did try them, that why he knows he doesn't like them.

That's a god "secret".

:eyebrow: when did he say he didn't like them? All he said was that "they we're a fastfood high" in fact if he really said "I think it's a pretty interesting path" that sounds kinda positive eh?

and what does your God secret crap mean?

Last edited:
In the big scheme of things, who cares? He probably did. I did. Most of the people I know did in college.

Maybe he didn't inhale.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom