David Bowie hit badly by a fan's present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
:sad:

Friday night, Bowie got hit by a lollipop that was thrown on stage by a fan. It came with such a speed that he couldn't have caught it anymore even if he had seen it. The stick of it buried itself between his eye ball and his eye lid of his bad dilated-pupil eye. If it had hit him in his good eye, he would be probably blind by now. He had to stand still for some minutes because of the pain until a management guy could remove the stick and while he was waiting for help he cursed the thrower, promising he'd find him and then said he'd end the show. I don't know if he really ended it, but it is said he walked off extremely pissed...anyway, here are pics:

2004.bmp

2004a.bmp

2004c.bmp

2004b.bmp

*still shocked*

OMG. This is really fucking unacceptable. This man is a living legend, an artist among artists - he doesn't deserve this kind of disrespect (not that anyone does). :mad:

:mad: Oh, man. I do not blame Bowie at all for being angry. I'm angry just reading about it! He could've lost an eye! I sincerely hope they found the loser who threw it and gave him hell.

There's a similar thread in EYKIW: http://forum.interference.com/t92576.html

:rant: WTF is it with "fans" throwing things at the performers?! I mean, put yourself in the performers' place: You've spent months or years working on an album, more months rehearsing and putting together the show, planning the stage and blocking and everything else, lots and lots of hard work and preparation to put it all together, then you get up on stage and perform your heart out...and some unthinking :censored: throws something at you. How would you feel if that happened to you?!

Fellow PLEBAns, please promise me you won't do anything like this to anybody. It doesn't matter if the performance sucks rotten eggs, just walk out, don't throw anything! Nobody deserves to lose an eye or get a concussion. And if you like the show, the performers don't need these "gifts"; your applause and cheers (and ticket money, of course) are all the gift they need.

:sad: :hug: I hope his eye will be okay! Please keep us updated!

In an Aerosmith biography I read once there was a story about how a fan threw a cigarette lighter onstage. It exploded, nearly blinding Steven Tyler and burning Joe Perry's arms and hands badly. They had to cancel parts of the tour as the singer and guitarist were unable to perform :( This was back in the 70's.

My husband has a Led Zeppelin bootleg concert tape on which you can hear Robert Plant stop singing in the middle of a song and say: "whoever is throwing firecrackers at us, you are no longer clever. We will not continue until you stop."

:sad::(:sad::(

I feel so crap....

Not that it's important right now, but I hope he won't cancel the last few conerts - this is really the last thing, I could say now.....I'm so worried about him. :sad:

Dude!!! WHAT THE F*CK?!?!?!? :ohmy: :mad:

More proof that the gene pool is verrrrrrrrry shallow in some circles. The saddest part is, that "fan" (NOT!) has probably already reproduced at least one or two little ingrates who'll be just like Mama and/or Daddy. :eyebrow:

God save us all when we're old, living in the "home" & these Missing Links are the ones taking care of us! :ohmy:

It seems as if everything is alright. He came back on stage after a long time and played more and finished the gig. :sigh: *MIGHTILY RELIEVED*

Jeez... :tsk: what an idiot, whoever did that to him. I'm relieved to hear Mr. Bowie is ok, though.

:no: very bad shit there. Yeah, I hope they got the creep & dragged him away! :censor:

Something that seems harmless like a lollipop- throw it hard enough and freak accidents can occur! Multiply that by lots of fans throwing innocent-type stuff by the number of concerts [tho obviously it only takes one show where a performer can get damaged] that's a lot of potential for nastieness or worse. So it shouldn't be done, period. :tsk:

then add in the utter calousness for throwing stuff that has the real potential danger much more so than the 'innocent' type of items, and there's even much more chance of trouble.

I never heard the Aerosmith story :yikes: :rant:

And FS, you being a Super superfan of Bowie :hug: for the unwanted 'rollercoaster' ride.

I certainly hope/figure DB will have it double checked, to really make sure nothing was missed.

Last edited:
:angry: I can't believe he finished the set! wow.. I am glad no serious damage was done, that is just chilling and infuriating to read about!!! :madspit: :rant:

I'm glad he's okay :happy: Whew!

What city was this in? What city are you going to see him in FS?

I really don't think the person who threw it was a jerk who meant any harm. It was probably a present and they had no idea that would happen. The person was probably a girl and was likely very sorry and heartbroken by how it turned out, especially after he cursed the person. You can't blame him for feeling that way at the time, but if this was a nice fan who had no bad intentions am sure they feel terrible. Still it is a lesson to everyone, good or bad, to NEVER toss objects at people! When I was a kid, teachers used to say, don't throw this or that across the room, might hit somebody in the eye! All the kids laughed and said that would never happen. This shows you never know so don't do it.

I heard on the radio today that this happened in Oslo and that the woman who did this didn't mean any harm. She said while she was dancing someone shoved her and the lollypop flew out of her hand. :hmm:

I wonder how hard she must have been pushed for that lolly to fly alll the way on to the stage:scratch:

FallingStar said:
The only link I found is this: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2004/06/19/400926.html . But it's in Norwegian. It's strange that there aren't any other links, but I guess since it wasn't so bad in the end, sites don't comment on it... :shrug:

I haven't got much time right now (have to go in 5 min.) but when I get home I'll translate the article for you... And there's antoher article in "Dagbladet" with the woman who caused the incident - I'll translate that too...

And believe me - there *is* a quite unbelievable ending to the whole story! :yes: :sexywink:

Merc said:

I haven't got much time right now (have to go in 5 min.) but when I get home I'll translate the article for you... And there's antoher article in "Dagbladet" with the woman who caused the incident - I'll translate that too...

And believe me - there *is* a quite unbelievable ending to the whole story! :yes: :sexywink:

You're going to keep us in suspense, you're learning from Emilie :lol: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom