Bono is missing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Bono is missing

My kitty Bono

It's like I was saying before, there is no such thing as NEVER getting outside. My husband left for work early this morning and didn't shut the back door all the way and the cats got out. I found the others but not Bono. There was only about a 5-10 time lapse from when he left and I got up, and I don't know where he could have gone so fast. I've checked under the house and walked around shaking food and yelling for him. The creep across the street was out this morning and I hope he didn't get him. Please send good vibes for Bono to still be around and find his way home

Old 01-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 12:57 AM
awwwww

don't worry, he is going to come back!! i got many cats, and well, i was like you, as soon as one was missing, i was like but don't worry, he will find his way back, cats are really clever.... i ma sure he misses you already

i'd like to help u to find it back!! but i am too far

Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks Miss-U2

It was good luck to post it here, because I did just find him! After looking all over for more than 3 hours, I posted this then went back outside again. I saw another cat under an old broken down car and I looked to see if it was him. It wasn't, but he was under there too, way back, all buried in leaves and dirt. He was shaking, and shivering shivering and his white fur was so dirty! He never goes out so he was afraid. I'm so glad I found him before something bad happened.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Refugee

awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! i am crying , could u believe that??? this story moved me to tears

it reminds me of my cats.... they are all dead now... just thinking about it, and i am crying...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Refugee

but i am glad u found him
Old 01-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 PM
U2Kitten, I'm so glad you found your cat! The first note in this thread really scared me! My sister had a nightmare with her cat in New York City! The cat got out and she's a house cat! Fortunately they found her but not before some heavy duty nervous system overloads occurred.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Aww thanks Miss U2.I hope you get another kitty to love in your life again someday

Thanks Verte I'm so glad your sister found her cat! A housecat lost in NYC, how scary! A cat I used to have got loose in a motel parking lot one time, I was terrified! I got some other people to corner him around a car with me or it could have been disaster as close to the highway as it was! I hope your sister and I won't have any more scary and worrysome cat escapes!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 PM
My sister seriously thought she was losing it when the cat got out! She called us up and was freaking out! Fortunately the cat was found by some nice neighbors around the corner soon after that, but it was Lower Manhattan, a terrible place to lose a cat! Now she won't let the cat get near the door. She's in Brooklyn now, which is safer, but still.........you don't want your house cat out around there.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

BonoKitty
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Awwww lucky you found him U2kitten.
I lost my kitty Stella in June, poor Stella was a victim of divorce. I had to leave the home where I was living with my ex suddenly and when I went back to find Stella, Stella was gone I have gone back to my old home so many times, but I have never found her. I even asked the new renters just a few weeks ago, but they say they have never seen her. Stella was such a cool cat, and good friends with my dog Baci. We miss her!
One day I will get another kitty to be friends with Baci tho
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #11
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:57 PM
Michelle I'm so glad you found Bono!!!!!! Pleassssse be more careful not to let him out. Is he microchipped?

Happy Endings
Old 01-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Good to hear you found your cat, Michelle. .

Kinda reminds me of the time my family lost our dog. We'd taken her outside so she could do her business and stuff, and then I went to bring her back in later, and couldn't find her anywhere. It eventually got to the point where my dad was driving around the neighborhood looking for her. We finally found her-turns out some creeps across the street, for some inane reason, thought they'd try and take her. Luckily, my mom noticed them carrying her and went up to them and explained she'd been looking for the dog, and the people made up some lame story about how they'd thought that she was a stray dog or something, and that's why they were holding her and were going to take her back to their home...I dunno...they were weird. Anyway, yeah, we found her, thankfully, which was good, 'cause my mom in particular adored her and was going crazy when she was missing.

I hear stories on the radio on occasion about missing pets. I feel so bad for the owners then, as well as the animals themselves, particularly if the weather's bad or something...the poor things.

Anywho, so...yeah, glad you found your kitty (didn't know its name was Bono, by the way...cute!).

Angela
Old 01-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Does anyone here have a pet with a microchip, or whatever they're called? Do they really work?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
Refugee

I have heard the chips work very well. I still need to get one for my dog. I went to the vet to get it for him once, but they were sold-out of the chips
Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:57 PM
There was such a wonderful story on the news a few months ago. A family lost their cat when they moved into a new house like 10 years ago. Well it must have either lived out on its own or maybe adopted a new home.. in any case it somehow ended up back at the humane society recently and when they scanned for a microchip, the original owners information came up. They called them and told them they had their cat and they were like "what? we dont have a cat.. " lol. The husband went down to check it out and it was his cat from TEN years ago! They live in a city near me and kitty is back with them at home and everyone is happy

Both of mine are microchipped. And if they were outside cats (which they would never be) I'd have collars and ID tags on them too. I just dont like collars much because they are dangerous. Have heard too many stories of cats choking themselves or the collars getting caught on things causing harm to the cats.

It's really cheap, costs like $30 to do and is a very simple and quick procedure.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks girls

Verte I hope your sister's cat doesn't get out anymore either. Angela I'm glad you got your dog back, no telling what might have happened with those people. It's such a terrible feeling when they're missing.

U2SJ I'm sorry you didn't find your kitty I hope she's okay somewhere with somebody and you get your new kitty sometime.
Thanks Souly

Sicy, I try so hard not to let him out, but my stupid husband was in a bad mood this morning because it was so cold and I guess he locked the door before he shut it and when he slammed it, the piece of metal in the doorknob lock was stuck out and hit the side of the door and it bounced out. The door was wide open for about 5-10 minutes before I got up, the cats got out and anyone could have come in! Now I'm always going to be sure the door is shut behind him. I get so afraid to even go anywhere when he's home because he does shit like that and doesn't care. I hope to get my cats microchipped as soon as I can. But in my neighborhood with all the creeps who hurt them it wouldn't do any good but to find the body so I will do it in case they get lost anywhere and I'll try to keep them away from all the asses.

It was a lot of worry, and I thought of a lot of sad stories that happened before too

Everybody go hug your animals
Old 01-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
I'm glad Bono kitty is safe

I read this thread at work and at first I was like "oh no!"
We used to have a cat before Worf that always tried to escape when someone opened the door. The cat would never go far, just go out and run under the car, but we always had to guard the door when we came back from grocery shopping

Worf has never tried to get out - if the doors open, she just sniffs at the air - but we still try to be careful though

I'm sorry about your kitty U2SJ
Old 01-20-2004, 05:53 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Everybody go hug your animals
Worf's having a nap on my bed right now
Old 01-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:57 PM
I'm so relieved U2Kitten!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #20
Refugee

Thanks U2kitten and kelly

I was disturbed by an article in the SJ Mercury today, this wouldn't have happened if the dog would have had a microchip, or atleast a collar
I can't believe the people that adopted him won't give Bella back to her real owner. Im sure the dog misses his family of the last 2 years
What do you guys think? Here in San Jose people are outraged and she should give the dog back!

Valley barking over tale of lost pet
HUNDREDS SAY NEW OWNER SHOULD GIVE UP ADOPTED DOG
By Connie Skipitares
Mercury News

Special to the Mercury News

Bella, a golden retriever escaped her San Jose yard and was later found and placed in a stray-dog kennel and adopted by another family.

If you took a dog home from the Humane Society -- and then its rightful owner turned up -- would you give it back?

Six times in the past three years at Santa Clara County's Humane Society, the adoptive owner returned the animal in just such a circumstance.

But Monday, dog lovers sent hundreds of e-mails and made dozens of phone calls to the Humane Society, the Mercury News and a local radio show in protest of the latest incident.

The new owners of Bella, a 2-year-old golden retriever, say they're keeping her. And the Humane Society insists there is nothing it can do.

``We continue to side with the law,'' said Laura Fulda of Humane Society Silicon Valley. ``You can't just say `Anything goes.' ''

When owner Niki Karanastasis showed up at the agency's Santa Clara shelter Jan. 8 -- hours after the dog's adoption was arranged -- Fulda said, officials called the new owner. But she was not interested in giving up the dog. Later, a friend of Karanastasis' appealed by phone, but to no avail. The new owner took Bella home the next day.

The Humane Society is not releasing the new owner's name because of privacy concerns but said she is from Los Gatos and has a 10-year-old daughter, who was to received Bella for her birthday.

Fulda said the agency won't call the woman again. ``Once you've made a decision, you can't keep hounding them,'' she said.

Meanwhile, on phone circuits and across cyberspace, Silicon Valley raged over the tale of a dog gone. Some said they would stop supporting the agency.

The emotional pitch resembled that after Silicon Valley's other canine tragedy -- the February 2000 death of Leo, the bichon frise thrown into traffic after a fender-bender.

``Dogs are like family to those who have them. They're like children,'' said Elyse Maltz of Pleasanton. ``If you lost your child in a store, would someone else take it and say `It's mine'? I think this is horrible. She needs to give that dog back.''

The dust-up became fodder for Monday afternoon radio. DJ Raffi Nalvarian, ``King Raffi'' of San Jose's Mix 106.5 (KEZR-FM), said Bella's story infuriated him and he urged listeners to call. More than 100 did.

``For over an hour, it was pedal to the metal over this story,'' Nalvarian said. ``People are furious. They think it's cold that this new owner would keep the dog. She should give it back.''

Some who e-mailed the Mercury News wanted to start a fund to help buy Karanastasis another dog, if she wants one, or to hire a lawyer to fight the adoption. Karanastasis says she's appreciative but doesn't want a new dog. She wants Bella.

``People have been wonderful in supporting me,'' she said. ``But I don't know if that's going to bring my Bella back. I know if I had a tag on her, it would have made all the difference.''

The agency holds dogs for five days before adoption. But dogs with ID tags are held for 10 days.

Karanastasis and friends had checked the Humane Society shelter for Bella three times between the dog's Jan. 2 disappearance and Jan. 7 but had no success.

On Jan. 8, the San Jose hairdresser found Bella in a cage there, but her joy quickly turned to sorrow when Humane Society officials said Bella had a new owner, arranged just that morning.

Monday, Fulda reiterated the Humane Society's apology and said she doesn't know why Bella wasn't seen by Karanastasis' friends before Jan. 8.

``I would hope this would be a wake-up call to ID your pets, either with a tag or a microchip, and to get them licensed,'' said Christine Benninger, president of the Humane Society Silicon Valley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------