Bono is depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the book Bono: A Conversation he clearly mentions that he is depressed. What could he possibly want that he doesn't have?

or a father

or perhaps to be 6 feet tall

for the record, i dont think bono is depressed. i think like all of us he's prone to low points, tht doesnt mean full blown depression

Last edited:
We are all a little depressed.....

I suffered the real thing for 6 months-felt like someone has chewed a hole right through my soul

they prozaced me-so I turned into a zombie and started twirling my feet in bed! I came off it to stop twirling my feet-that was worse than the depression

had councelling -turned out I had parents who were also verydepressed and didn't look after me properly

well actually thats an understatement-my mum was very ill-but I won't go there:|

digsy said:

for the record, i dont think bono is depressed. i think like all of us he's prone to low points, tht doesnt mean full blown depression

I agree. Some of the most depressed people I've known (like people who have actually been diagnosed w/ mental problems) put on such a happy face and lived such a "norma" life that you never could've known how empty they truly felt inside. To look at a few pictures of Bono when he's tired or take a statement like "yeah, I feel depressed sometimes" and assume he has some form of clinical depression is a bit over the top.

I blew Bono a kiss at an Elevation concert once, but he didn't smile at me after I did it. I was depressed for like a year after that.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I agree. Some of the most depressed people I've known (like people who have actually been diagnosed w/ mental problems) put on such a happy face and lived such a "norma" life that you never could've known how empty they truly felt inside. To look at a few pictures of Bono when he's tired or take a statement like "yeah, I feel depressed sometimes" and assume he has some form of clinical depression is a bit over the top.

:up:

We don't know him and it's unfair to speculate about this based on a picture or one statement.

banjo said:
In the book Bono: A Conversation he clearly mentions that he is depressed. What could he possibly want that he doesn't have?

There is way more too it than that. Depression isn't something you can control, it doesn't matter how much money fame etc you have. By the sounds of things he probably had a tramatic childhood. Mom dying when he was 14, growing up with a father he couldn't relate too and sounds like wasn't accepting of him much..probably stems from that. And you can tell in the music he is still struggling with that...hopefully that is a way to help him release and heal. But maybe he is not depressed at all:shrug: But I would bet he is:hug:

I don't think he's depressed, I think he's got somewhat of an indentity crisis and often struggles with reconciling his success, fame, and fortune with the fact that he lost his mother and always felt inadequate to his father. But everyone struggles with something and it seems like he has this one under control since he's willing to talk about it, sing about it, whatever.

Geez, you see how the pharmaceuticals have us programmed? The man was talking about a mood, not a pathology or diagnosis! There are all forms of depression, and not all require medical help and therapy. If he said he was heartbroken, would we all be looking for the results of his echocardiogram??

Bono would be abnormal if he wasn't depressed. He spends part of every day, if not the whole day some times, dealing with the reality that 6,000 people are dying of AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa every day, that people are dying of preventable disease because of human indifference and greed, and he has to cozy up to a lot of people who, morally and ethically, make him want to puke, and he has to argue it down and defend his actions to people that he loves dearly. Every day, he faces the world's stone-cold indifference, and sees things he doesn't want to look at, but has to face. The cure for his depression is found in a pill, but the kind that the pharmaceuticals are holding back from the people who need them, because the life of a poor person means squat to the bottom line of the medical industry, whether in Africa or in the so-called "developed nations."

He should be depressed...you can keep that up for just so long before you just can't take it anymore. He is blessed to have the kind of relationships he has for support -- I don't want to think about what shape he'd be in now if he didn't.

Chizip said:
I blew Bono a kiss at an Elevation concert once, but he didn't smile at me after I did it. I was depressed for like a year after that.

:lol: i must keep :silent: about my friends Bono rejection issues now

you're starting to make me think she's :crack:

i spent hours discussing it with her and after hearing everyone's opinion-I'm starting to think I shouldn't of:scream: and :sad: with her and just just told her to celebrate being so close up:camera: :dance:

kellyahern said:

You would be he is?!? :huh:

I would hate for someone who doesn't know me to talk like that. "Maybe Kelly's not depressed, but I bet she is." :rolleyes:

Depression shouldn't be something you speculate on whether a person has or not.

I'm not saying he has it I am saying there is a good chance he could be...geez.
And if its true what Bono said in the book it would make people wonder.

FEELINNUMB said:
Bono would be abnormal if he wasn't depressed. He spends part of every day, if not the whole day some times, dealing with the reality that 6,000 people are dying of AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa every day, that people are dying of preventable disease because of human indifference and greed.... Every day, he faces the world's stone-cold indifference, and sees things he doesn't want to look at, but has to face. ...He should be depressed...you can keep that up for just so long before you just can't take it anymore.

I agree. The state of the world would make any decent person depressed. The people in power either don't know, don't care or are too overwhelmed with what's already on their plate to help. I'm sure Bono feels like he's trying to knock down a concrete wall by beating his head against it. All the work he's done, all the people he's talked to, and the problems are being worked on with the speed of erosion. :(

All that on top of losing his father and never having fully healed from his mother's premature death...I can totally understand why Bono feels depressed sometimes. :hug:

FEELINNUMB said:
Bono would be abnormal if he wasn't depressed. He spends part of every day, if not the whole day some times, dealing with the reality that 6,000 people are dying of AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa every day, that people are dying of preventable disease because of human indifference and greed, and he has to cozy up to a lot of people who, morally and ethically, make him want to puke, and he has to argue it down and defend his actions to people that he loves dearly. Every day, he faces the world's stone-cold indifference, and sees things he doesn't want to look at, but has to face. The cure for his depression is found in a pill, but the kind that the pharmaceuticals are holding back from the people who need them, because the life of a poor person means squat to the bottom line of the medical industry, whether in Africa or in the so-called "developed nations."

He should be depressed...you can keep that up for just so long before you just can't take it anymore. He is blessed to have the kind of relationships he has for support -- I don't want to think about what shape he'd be in now if he didn't.

I disagree. I have worked fulltime for an NGO before and it was uplifting. I used to work 6 days a week because I enjoyed it so much. Its a wonderfully selfish feeling to spend your whole day knowing that you are helping make the world a better place.

kellyahern said:

:up:

We don't know him and it's unfair to speculate about this based on a picture or one statement.

Agree, but when has that ever stopped people.:|

BEVERLY56 said:
Fact: The most creative artists of all time suffered from depression. Great source for material.

At least someone who understands me...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom