Bono in Philly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
misfit toys said:
Video

http://www.s e n d space.com/file/upibq2

:D

Thanks for the link! I was all proud that I'd figured out how to get the file and convert it and was in the process of trying to upload it when I saw your link. Now I won't feel so bad if I can't get the upload finished. Mine is in mpg format and yours is avi so if anyone wants the mpg and can't convert it themselves I'll go ahead and post the link for mine when it's ready.

Dana

Edit: Here's the link for the mpg version of the abc file

http://www.mega up load.com/?d=DF2CXZI9

Last edited:
i actually wanted to thank you all. I'm so glad so many of you met Bono. It's fun reading your post. You almost feel the exicetment of meeting him. I feel like I know JC and the others. But I really don't know anyone. It's been years since I last visited Interference.
OMG the speech was incredible.
What was it like to meet Bono? As if I haven't read enough posts. I'm just in awe of how good of a heart one person can have. And that too many of the interferencers who share their stories, their experience, and even their tickets. :)
Thank You!!!!

Last edited:
WOW. Looks like my thread has turned into a monster!

Seriously, you guys are NUTS. I mean that in a good way. "Cute widdle Bono footsie"...."adorable crooked little front teeth"....LICKING the screen...you guys are CROCKED. I mean that in a seriously good way of course! What am I doing hanging out in FYM....I need to stay here I think. You've got a great community here. I guess I hang out in FYM b/c (being half Irish I suppose) I love to talk about politics.....in epic posts 10 miles long....but I like Bono's America better. Here is a good fantasy world.

I was hoping you guys would discuss the *speech itself*, but on second thought seeing these pics I can't blame you one bit. It's a good thing these guys aren't the leaders of dictatorships b/c if they were I'd be happy to let my country slide into a police state if THEY were the subjects of the obligatory personality cult. Democracy would indeed be justly doomed.....:drool:
And I have to say, B is lookin SO GOOD (for a guy pushing 50, other then the slight suggestion of a jowl, but that cute little beard covers it just fine) I'm in danger of being "unfaithful" to my man Mr. The Edge. You need to get that little scientific brain of yours wrapped around some PUBLIC project soon, or I'm gonna commit "virtual adultery" soon....

"I'm coming, I'm right here my beauties"...I can just hear how he said it.....*THUNK* (*goes off to take a cool shower*...getting the NC-17 rated vapors again!

"the Bono virus"? ROFL. This reminds me of a story from the Star Trek fan world. I'm not a Trekkie/er but I've seen most of the major episodes and re-runs of the old series, like it a lot but am not a rabid fan. But if you ever get a chance, gorent "Trekkies" and "Trekkies 2", these are a pair of SCREAMINGLY FUNNY spoofs on rabid ST fans. The DVDs of both have some fantastic commentary. Really, if you guys need a laugh, this must be some of the funniest footage ever captured.

(My favorite segment: on Star Trek "filk" songs---folk music about science fiction. The best filk songs are cult classics. One of the alltime classics is one about how the crew of the Enterprise are thrown off a planet for getting too rowdy and destructive on shore leave. Sample lyric:

"The Captain's tastes were simple,
but his methods were complex
We found him with five partners,
each of a different world and sex
The Shore Patrol were on their way,
He didn't stand a chance
So we beamed him up in the nick of time,
in the remnants of his pants"

Anyway, the story I refer to is from a Star Trek convention in the 90's, at which the actor who played Q, from "The Next Generation" was scheduled to speak. Now it happened that this was a February and the actor had just come down with a really bad case of the flu, he was actually in the process of starting to show symptoms en route to the airport. You guys all know, if you've had the flu, how quickly and nastily it can strike. So when he showed up he was so sick he could hardly stand up. Everyone urged him to cancel the appearance but he said he'd slug it through, which he did. When he was speaking, he had a glass of water on the podium, which he drank from. After he left the stage, the presenter, as a joke, (after observing how much ST memorabilia was selling for) held up the water glass and asked if anyone was willing to pay to "get the Q virus" (I know the Q Virus plays in the series plot, but you fans know better than I what that expression means.) To his utter shock, people in the audience actually took him seriously and began shouting bids. They had a real auction going on for several minutes, and the guy who finally got the glass bid something like $80 for it!! He took it from the presenter's hand and was about to drink from it, but the presenter said, "Are you sure you want to drink from that? You know, he was REALLY sick." The guy said, "of course I do!" and downed the glass in one swig. He then turned to the audience and shouted, "I've got the Q Virus! I've got the Q Virus!"

This is a true story. And I think you guys are at that level of fandom. If someone offered me a glass Edge had touched, let alone drunk from....:drool:

Really, all you GUYS in here, how do you stand wading through the puddles of drool? :wink: You're very brave to come here!GabrielFox for example...your comments about Bono's "fade" were cute, and YOU'RE adorable:)

A question: Who is Brian, and when was he added to the roster? What happened to Scott (if that was his name), the really sweet bald guy? Or is he "tour" bodyguard? I have a story about one of Larry's bodyguards...I'm STILL embarrassed about it to this day....

Thank you Varitek for the pics! And you are from Beantown eh? Great place....what part? I hate to say this but I saw "The Departed" 3 times and the week after the film came out I couldn't stop saying Scorcese's favorite Southie phrase.....well, I won't say it here...but in the immortal words of B, "two short, clipped words"....but that's Southie guy for ya I guess!

JCoster, youand your hubby have your own Bono and Ali thing going. How sweet!! How many years? And God bless you both.

Jeannieco, bring us back some Dublin pics!! Please I especially want some pics of the Dublin shore. Taken both from down by the Guiness factory way and from the O'Connell Bridge. The last time I was there they had barely begun the transformation of the waterfront...I'm dying to see what it looks like now. And if you can will you go to Windmill Lane (or near it) and sign The Wall for me?? And last: if you get a chance, take the daylong bus tour through Wicklow County. Besides givng you some spectaculat screnry, it goes past Bono's house.Be sure to sit on the lefthand side of the bus. You'll also see Bono and ALi's second house, (from around '82 to '90) the Martello Tower that is now the James Joyce Museum. I didn't know this stuff when I got on the bus, but boy I went crazy by 10 minutes in!

BonoMot--"looking for the rope in the hardware store"--heh heh. Better watch it girl, your mind is moving in some VERY mysterious ways:up: :macdevil:
And are you really now a MoveOn.org member? When did Bono mention them? :ohmy: If he did, then I am comforted that he DOES have an idea just how bad it is here. Wonder what he thinks of the "General Betrayus" ad....and the Congressional aftermath.

You know, I am such a pathetic fan, I actually saw a copy of "The Economist" in the gorcery store today, somethinbg clicked and I thought, "OMG, The Economist, Bono mentioned a survey on torture in the speech" and raced over to the shelf to try to find THE SURVEY and found it--on the article on torture, pg 91-92) and said, "I HAVE to buy this, Bono was readng THIS ISSUE yesterday, he was reading the same words I am now!" Nevermind I read TE anyway, I just don't buy it. And I plan to write the Bono ref on the cover and put ti in my U2 files forever....

Last: Blm: YOU'RE A BRUCE FAN!?!?!? He was on "Today" and you recorded it? *slaps forehead* what cavehave I been living in, the tour starts Oct 2! Was he in Joisy? I remember when he did the same thing for the last album. I did't see him last time b/c he wasn't with the E Street Band.....though I saw him the 2 tours before that. Do you have tix??? I forogt aobut the tour and missed the tix sales (he's just added a date here in Albany) and I'm sure it's all sold out....I logged on to Backstreets but it's taken 4 days so far for them to get me inot the system??? is that normal, for the tix exchange? The Albany date isn't until November but last time this was how I got a ticket....I don't care hwhere I am as long as I'm in the building....."Whoa, oh oh OH, oh"....can you keepa lookout for me, anyone who has an extra Albany ticket?? Or suggest a clue? I'm short in funds and can't buy from a scalper....

Anyway, is "the other Philly thread" in EYKIW? I'd really love to discuss the speech itself. It;s haunting me. Bono's other America is casting a spell on me. I wish I could stay there, but it is on a street with no name and I can't hide there......

Last edited:
PS. The speech is now in the Liberty Medal site but it's seen from a distance, like 50 feet away. No closeups...how long is the Philly news station version going to be up. I just got this laptop not too long ago, I don't know if this stuff is burnable and don't know how to burn. Blm, coukld you possibly burn the Bruce footage and the Philly coverageof the speech onto a disc for me? or someone? I know it's a pain but someof this stuff will be gone forever from thr web....

THANKS to the both of you who have uploaded links to the VIDEO!!!! I'm downloading the avi now. This is such an inspirational speech.

Nice to see you back Unicorn....hope you're rested....where in Central Europe are you anyway?

Teta040 said:

A question: Who is Brian, and when was he added to the roster? What happened to Scott (if that was his name), the really sweet bald guy? Or is he "tour" bodyguard? I have a story about one of Larry's bodyguards...I'm STILL embarrassed about it to this day....

Oohhh - do tell your story about Larrys bodyguards... I always wondered who was his preferred minder. Bono usually has John (the bald guy) and Edge usually has Brian, though Bono also seems to use Brian alot these days - think he is a Dublin guy. Which one is Scott?

Bono uses John on tour, the rest of the time it's Brian as far as I've seen from pics of Bono's 'adventures'.
Scott was with Larry the night I met him in New Zealand. He is really lovely. :yes:
Brian was with Edge as his security in New Zealand.

What's your story about Larrys bodyguards? :ohmy: I'd love to hear it!

Thank you for the download links misfit toys and rihannsu! I got the send space link fine but the mega upload link says unavailable, maybe it's just temporary tho.. Thanks so much! :)

Val said:

do you have any more video of this? I was hoping for the part where I asked Bono if he had a good night and he answered that he had a great night? thanks

:( No, I'm sorry.

bonocomet said:
Thank you for the download links misfit toys and rihannsu! I got the send space link fine but the mega upload link says unavailable, maybe it's just temporary tho.. Thanks so much! :)

Well, I've never uploaded anything before and it took ages to finish so I'm really not sure that it worked right. If it does work for anyone please let me know. But at least the other one is there.

Dana

Thank-you so much for the download links, Misfit Toys and Rihannsu.

I just finished watching the speech. It was amazing. ... "we do not have to become a monster, to defeat a monster"... "what we can do, we must"... I wish the world could see this speech... because these things are so true.

Thanks for the video and stories! I WISH I would have stayed around after.

It is ok though because my mom and I made and evening out of it and went to dinner.

I should get to know some of you other Philly Interferencers here.:wave:

Teta040 said:

I'm in danger of being "unfaithful" to my man Mr. The Edge. You need to get that little scientific brain of yours wrapped around some PUBLIC project soon, or I'm gonna commit "virtual adultery" soon....

lol i think thats impossible for me! But Bono looked incredibly cute. :drool:
and he def. stole my heart that night

Teta040 said:

Seriously, you guys are NUTS. I mean that in a good way.

Yes, we are!

"And I have to say, B is lookin SO GOOD (for a guy pushing 50, other then the slight suggestion of a jowl, but that cute little beard covers it just fine)

Totally awesome looking.

"I'm coming, I'm right here my beauties"...I can just hear how he said it.....*THUNK* (*goes off to take a cool shower*...getting the NC-17 rated vapors again!

Could have fainted but somehow kept it together.

This is a true story. And I think you guys are at that level of fandom. If someone offered me a glass Edge had touched, let alone drunk from....:drool:

Well, I'm not at that point.

Brian mostly traveled with Edge and John Sampson goes with Bono on tour.

JCoster, youand your hubby have your own Bono and Ali thing going. How sweet!! How many years? And God bless you both.

Yes, we do, I would do the same for him without hesitation. We'll be married 17 years November.

Yup! When Varitek and LauraMullen were taking pictures with him I guess he noticed me taking one and he looked right @ me and smiled.
He's so sweet!
Here are the rest::::::::::::::
rightwhenbwalkedout.jpg

medal.jpg
icduringceremony.jpg[/IMG]
bonowalkingout.jpg

^^bono walking out smiling at all of us
bonosad.jpg

bonooutside.jpg

bonooutsideII.jpg

bonoIIIII.jpg

bonolookingme.jpg

^Smiling @ me
bonocloseup.jpg

^not sure who he's talking to.

bonocloseup.jpg

^not sure who he's talking to. [/B]

When I asked him how his night was, I saw him look up and answer. I wish I knew if this was the moment. Oh well, no way of telling. Can you tell I'm thrilled he answered me!

Back
Top Bottom