The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
I've been sitting here trying to figure this crap out myself but its just not working for me.

How on earth do you resize/make avatars?

daisy? madonna's child? elevated mole?

So I have photoshop right.. I've tried to make animated gifs smaller but then they dont move anymore.. so I tried jpgs and its really odd.. I'll open up an image, and lets say its like 10kb. So I go to shrink it by adjusting the pixal size or even just making it like 60% of the original. So it makes it smaller but then it ends up being bigger in kbs. :confused: :scream:

Help? :sexywink:

I don't have Photoshop, I have Photosuite. But what I do is simply go in and click resize in the Image menu. It gives me the option to choose the exact number of pixels for length and width ... and that size of the file just takes care of itself. It's usually around 2KB. I don't know how different Photoshop might be, though.

Hey Elevated mole!

I don't remember which thread now but somewhere Elevated mole said she would make avatars for us. Here Elevatedmole please make avatars of these! Then please give them to Sicy, we have a very sad lack of good AB Bono avatars and these are hot! Thank you!

Attachments

• 1smcute.jpg
    1smcute.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 175
Mirrorball Girl said:
I don't have Photoshop, I have Photosuite. But what I do is simply go in and click resize in the Image menu. It gives me the option to choose the exact number of pixels for length and width ... and that size of the file just takes care of itself. It's usually around 2KB. I don't know how different Photoshop might be, though.

What she said. I think you can get a free download of it. I got mine with my computer.

Just testing my new avatar..... and wondering why it gives you the option of a subject when replying.... This is going to take some getting used to. :cool:

I figured it out

Spinny I just added a subject to my post..

I think in Photoshop if I do 'Save for web' it makes the file size a lot smaller! :D But I havent figured out gifs yet...

:huh:

ARGH! I wrote a whole long reply but AOL kicked me offline and I never got to post it. :(

Okay.. so.. here goes.

This is how *I* make avatars not so distorted and such. I use Photoshop 5.5.

1: Open the picture you want, and cut it down to the smallest size you will allow using the Crop tool.
2: Go to the "Image" dropdown and select Canvas Size. If it is, say. 210x220, cut it to a matching number like 200x200 or something. Whatever. As long as it is same numbers it is fine.
3: Go to the "Image" dropdown again and select Image Size. In the first box, type in 72. The box below will change to 72 as well.
4: Now, the image is much smoother and smaller and exactly the size you want! But, one thing I do to make it look even better is use the Line tool, set at 1 width and in black. I do lines around the edge of the avatar.

If you still want me to make some avatars for you, please post all the images you want to make into avatars here and please choose LARGE high-quality ones. It doesn't matter if they are a big file, just the good quality. Smaller images like some you posted that had distortion and such won't work well.

elevatedmole said:
If you still want me to make some avatars for you, please post all the images you want to make into avatars here and please choose LARGE high-quality ones. It doesn't matter if they are a big file, just the good quality. Smaller images like some you posted that had distortion and such won't work well.

Thank you elevatedmole! I'll post them on this thread later today!

This is the easiest way I know...

Open a new file in Photoshop. Change the width and height to the pixels. Then type in the height as 72 and the width as 72. Click OK.

Now, open the picture that you want to make an avatar of. Use your marquee tool to outline the photo. (Marquee tool is the first button on your tool bar, it's a dotted x box.) When the photo is outlined, click copy.

Now, go to 72x72 box. Click paste. Your photo should now be in that box, but it will be too big. Hit ctrl and T (as in the letter "T") at the same time. Now you can resize your photo. Hold the shift key to keep the photo the same, make the outlined box smaller to shrink the picture. You may have to do this several times. To apply the resizing, click on your tool bar. A box should pop up that says "Apply transformation?" If you are satisfied with the size click "apply." Like I said, you may have to do this several times to shrink the photo all the way.

Once the photo is shrunk you may want to sharpen it. (Filter-> sharpen.) Then choose "save a copy" and save the avatar as a jpg or gif.

That should give you a 72 by 72 avatar. I'm not good with explanations, feel free to ask questions.

Example...

Attachments

7.9 KB · Views: 89
Wow Emily.. sounds kind of confusing but I'll try it when I get home.

Thanks for your help guys! :D

I know it looks a little crazy, Sicy :huh: but once you get good at it, it's really fast and easy.

Hey Elevatedmole here they are!

Here I'm posting the big, high quality pics to be made into avatars now!

068.jpg

1hotband.jpg

Attachments

• 2bigface.jpg
    2bigface.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
AARGGGHH!!! SHIT!!!! For some reason the new forum is not accepting my MSN pics. I've never had a bit ofm trouble before. Now I'm going to have to post each one individually. SHIT!

It will take longer. Please don't give up on me Elevatedmole I'll keep putting them here.

Attachments

• 1hotband.jpg
    1hotband.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 78
Emily!! I got it just about almost!! lol... I just cant find the Filter -- > sharpen.. It looks all blurry. :huh:

*SG taking notes* i used 'microsoft picture it' publishing to make some avatars, i have trouble re-sizing some of the pics and i was getting soooo :mad: and :scream: that i had to stop.

good luck girls! let me know if i can help anyone and i will try. :)

sparkys girl said:
*SG taking notes* i used 'microsoft picture it' publishing to make some avatars, i have trouble re-sizing some of the pics and i was getting soooo :mad: and :scream: that i had to stop.

good luck girls! let me know if i can help anyone and i will try. :)

I tried using picture it and for some reason when I would resize it, the pic would be smaller but the area around where the old pic was was white and showed up when I saved it.

Hmm

I did it !! Yay!!! :D:D

Attachments

• 1flycig.jpg
    1flycig.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom