Anybody going to Dublin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edurban

War Child
I am trying to plan a one day trip to Dublin, because I haven't been there for 8 years and I can't take it anymore. I only live one hour away with the plane so it's totally ridiculous that I haven't been in so long!

Anybody planning to go in the next couple of months? It would be nice to meet up in one of the topical places :drool: .

E.

Along the same lines, I have a quick question as someone who has never been in the area but plans to do some traveling in August - from the Lakenheath area of England (near Norwich, I believe) what's the best way to enter Ireland? Take a flight? Train and then ferry? Swim? :no: :wink:

Mr. Blu, myself & Mom Blu are going to be in England the middle of August to visit my brother & sis-in-law and we want to take 2-3 days in/around Dublin. Problem is, I have no idea what kind of travel arrangements (if any) we need to have in place before we arrive in England. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :up:

And edurban, if you would like to return to Dublin in August & play tour guide, that would be OK with us. We're clean, polite and tip appropriately, too! :D

If you're going to be in Norwich, the closest airport would probably be Stansted (I think). They fly direct to Dublin on Ryan Air which is the cheapest and not really as bad as everyone makes it out to be. 45 minute plane ride if that. I have never done the ferry but I would imagine it goes out from Liverpool area which is a (long) train ride from Norwich. From the airport there's the bus straight into city centre. If you're looking for a weekend trip, book in advance, and by weekend I mean thursday-monday. If you're looking to stay in a hostel, book early whenever you're staying, they fill up fast. If you need recs for hostels I've stayed in many, and many hotels there as well.

edurban said:
I am trying to plan a one day trip to Dublin, because I haven't been there for 8 years and I can't take it anymore. I only live one hour away with the plane so it's totally ridiculous that I haven't been in so long!

Anybody planning to go in the next couple of months? It would be nice to meet up in one of the topical places :drool: .

E.

you live an hour away and havent been in 8 years :ohmy:

:madwife:

:wink:

i hope you get over there soon, living down under ireland seems such a long way off but its my dream to get there one day soon :drool: good luck :hug:

BluRmGrl said:

And edurban, if you would like to return to Dublin in August & play tour guide, that would be OK with us. We're clean, polite and tip appropriately, too! :D

you know what, it might actually be possible: i am going to be in wales on the coast somewhere at the beginning of August and I might just jump on a ferry....:drool: :drool: :drool:

Re: Re: Anybody going to Dublin?

mysterious_jen said:

i hope you get over there soon, living down under ireland seems such a long way off but its my dream to get there one day soon :drool: good luck :hug:

I know I have no excuse, apart from nobody wanting to come with me... but now I understood that I can actually go on my own!

What day of the week do you guys think is better? week or weekend?

Oh gosh you all are so lucky to be so much closer geographically! I was there in October and cannot wait to go back, I miss it! Fillefriday can give some really good info tho, so listen to her. Have a great time and report back!

Re: Re: Anybody going to Dublin?

mysterious_jen said:

:flirt: You mustn't complain about living down under Ireland.

If Ireland = Bono
If Australia = down under
Therefore = down under Bono.... :shrug: I can't see any problem with that... :evil:

:flirt: :sexywink:

I'm going back this year again, spring or summer, but not before May or June. Aer Lingus offers cheap flights from where I live and it's not that far away. It would be SOOO nice meeting up with someone from this board.

youvedonewhat said:
I'm about a 45 min plane flight from Dublin too...:sad: hubby won't fly...and the ferry takes 8 hours..:yuck: so methinks that I will never set foot on U2 soil...:madwife: :rant: :angry:

Let's just leave the husbands at home and go! Where would you fly from?

Last edited:
youvedonewhat said:
I'm about a 45 min plane flight from Dublin too...:sad: hubby won't fly...and the ferry takes 8 hours..:yuck: so methinks that I will never set foot on U2 soil...:madwife: :rant: :angry:

:hug: I love a plane! So when I win the lottery, I'll fly to you and *we'll* go. Deal?

:hmm: Eight hours on a ferry or 45 minutes in a plane. Is that some kind of trick question? :eyebrow: ;) Seriously, if those are my options then it's a no-brainer to fly. Thanks for the info - that's really helpful.

And YDW, surely you could slip away to Dublin for a day trip, no? Just think: you, edurban and myself running amok in the city on our own little U2 Fantasy Tour. :drool: :love: :wink: Come on.... you know you want to! :D

Bono Mot said:

:hug: I love a plane! So when I win the lottery, I'll fly to you and *we'll* go. Deal?

...I just might hold you to that, Mot...:flirt: And we'd have to make up a contingency plan just in case we meet up with the B...:evil: I know, you hold him down whilst I get to snog his face off...:lol:

BluRmGrl said:
:hmm: Eight hours on a ferry or 45 minutes in a plane. Is that some kind of trick question? :eyebrow: ;) Seriously, if those are my options then it's a no-brainer to fly. Thanks for the info - that's really helpful.

And YDW, surely you could slip away to Dublin for a day trip, no? Just think: you, edurban and myself running amok in the city on our own little U2 Fantasy Tour. :drool: :love: :wink: Come on.... you know you want to! :D

It'd be nice to meet up and do 'U2' things w/o other people there who don't share the same interests..:evil: Nobody I know has the faintest interest in the band and even less interest in Bono...:angry: So, I tend to keep my comments regarding the band/Bono to myself. It's a good job this site is here. It gives me a place to come to drool/comment and write with like minded ppl.

Och! They just don't know what they're missing these 'non beleivers'...mwahahahah :lol:

Carek1230 said:
Every U2 fan should make the pilgrimmage to Dublin, not to mention to seeing morew of the beauty that is Ireland

:up: I totally agree. We're only going to have time for Dublin & maybe a bit of the surrounding area on this trip, but my brother will be in England for another 3 1/2yrs, so I know I'll be going back across the big water at least once, hopefully twice more. And every time we go, I plan on taking in a little more of Ireland. :drool:

By the way - isn't the current/former studio being cleared out now in anticpation of it being torn down? When is that supposed to be finalized anyway? I don't have the faintest hope of being able to go there in August & see anyone, but it'd at least be nice to go & have myself photographed at the site. What can anyone tell me about that?

BluRmGrl said:

:up: I totally agree. We're only going to have time for Dublin & maybe a bit of the surrounding area on this trip, but my brother will be in England for another 3 1/2yrs, so I know I'll be going back across the big water at least once, hopefully twice more. And every time we go, I plan on taking in a little more of Ireland. :drool:

By the way - isn't the current/former studio being cleared out now in anticpation of it being torn down? When is that supposed to be finalized anyway? I don't have the faintest hope of being able to go there in August & see anyone, but it'd at least be nice to go & have myself photographed at the site. What can anyone tell me about that?

Hey Blurmgrl
I was in Dublin in October and the studio was still there.
Someone posted on here somewhere that they were loading stuff out the studio a couple of months ago but word was they were coming back to record there in the coming months?? Who knows...
but it's still there. The area around the studio was nice... I was expecting dirt and dusty roads and construction going on around the place but that was not the case when I was there. I don't know what it looked like before but it's not the run down area that I was preparing myself for!

Go on the Wild Wicklow Tour if you have a day to spare to go see a bit of the countryside. It's fun! And you get to drive by Bono's house! Sit on the left side of the bus! ;)
Have fun! I love Ireland... I am Irish/American and this was my first trip back to the homeland! :) So beautiful....I didn't want to come back to the states. :sad:

Jeannie - thanks so much for the info! (Especially the tip about the left side of the bus! :wink: )

I was hoping you'd see this thread & let me know what you'd seen. (I knew someone had been there recently, but couldn't remember who it was! :reject: :) )

Anyway, this will be my first trip to the Fair Isle and I'm almost positive I'm not going to want to come back home!

BluRmGrl said:
Jeannie - thanks so much for the info! (Especially the tip about the left side of the bus! :wink: )

I was hoping you'd see this thread & let me know what you'd seen. (I knew someone had been there recently, but couldn't remember who it was! :reject: :) )

Anyway, this will be my first trip to the Fair Isle and I'm almost positive I'm not going to want to come back home!

You are going to have so much fun! I want to go back so bad!
PM me if you have any more questions!
Cheers or Slainte!

Back
Top Bottom