Why the excitement for WOWY and ISHFWILF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDFan

The Fly
I don't understand this at all. I've seen a ton of posts with people complaining about the band playing songs like NYD, SBS, Bullet. Then, they bust out other songs like WOWY and ISHFWILF which have been played to death and people are so excited about it.

Gimme some Kite, Gone, Please, Crumbs, Untraviolet, something from Zooropa etc. I'm sure you get my point.

I just haven't been too excited about this tour at all. I saw the first Philly show and I spent half of the time outside. The new songs were great, but the usual suspects are getting tired.

Because WOWY at Chicago 4.....whoa!!!!! :drool:

I think a lot of people connect with these songs on a more personal level than other staples like Pride, NYD, SBS, Bullet.

WOWY can be interpreted in a lot of ways for people, and I think personal experiences for people weigh into this song heavily.

Similarly, ISHFWILF has that spiritual feel. Many people have felt they have accomplished a lot in life, yet somehow something is missing.

But I agree...bring on Kite, Please, and Gone!!!1

Lemonboy said:
Because they are two of the best damn songs that have ever been written and performed.

Period.

^ LB said it! :yes: :applaud:

:heart: ISHFWILF :heart:

MDFan said:

I just haven't been too excited about this tour at all. I saw the first Philly show and I spent half of the time outside. The new songs were great, but the usual suspects are getting tired.

:eyebrow: you mean you didn't watch the whole show? Are you just insane or what?? I would GLADLY have taken your tickets, as I'm sure just about anyone here would...

It was the return of these songs for this tour...if they hadn't been playing Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Year's Day (they actually did retire that for a couple shows) or whatever and then played them halfway through the tour, people would be probably just as excited. It's variety for this tour. Plus, as others have said, they're GOOD SONGS. And apparently With or Without You has a life to it that's been missing for years, from what I've heard...

I do agree on one thing though - bring on GONE! And anything else from Pop is welcome :D

ISHFWILF is the song that I personally feel the most connection to... and therefore, my strongest connection to the band. I've only seen them twice in my 20 years of being a fan & unfortunately, they've not played that one either time. :( I know I'd go ape-shit to hear it performed live. :hyper: :rockon:

Thing is, we all have our faves & most-hateds... If we all agreed on what songs should & shouldn't be played, I wouldn't be so convinced that U2 was a band as much as a cult! :ohmy:

(Which isn't to say that the enthusiasm of some of us fans doesn't reach that of cult proportions! :ohmy: :lol: )

BluRmGrl said:
ISHFWILF is the song that I personally feel the most connection to... and therefore, my strongest connection to the band. I've only seen them twice in my 20 years of being a fan & unfortunately, they've not played that one either time. :( I know I'd go ape-shit to hear it performed live. :hyper: :rockon:

Thing is, we all have our faves & most-hateds... If we all agreed on what songs should & shouldn't be played, I wouldn't be so convinced that U2 was a band as much as a cult! :ohmy:

(Which isn't to say that the enthusiasm of some of us fans doesn't reach that of cult proportions! :ohmy: :lol: )

Well said!

BECAUSE THEY ARE TWO OF THE BEST DAMN SONGS THAT HAVE BEEN WRITTEN AND PERFORMED.

PERIOD.

AGAIN?

WANNA READ IT AGAIN?

they are good songs, but they dont excite me too much live, same with wild horses

lots of other songs id like to see them bring back before those

Wowy was the song that got me into U2 in the first place, I loved it on Popmart but on Elevation it left much to be desired IMPO. I'm hoping that after a little rest it will/has regained the power it once had. I saw ISHFWILF on, I think night 4 Chicago Elevation and I thought that I would hate hearing it since it's been done to death, but the fan reaction was so strong that I actually enjoyed it.

Would I rather see something a little more obsure? Definatley, but then again I've seen both those songs at multiple concerts. The downside is that with the obscure songs you don't get the audience reaction. And a live WOWY at it's best is very heaven :drool:

Anybody that spends half the time outside at a U2 show doesnt deserve to be there!

No reason to complain. We have enough source material to build our own dream concert. I know I have. It's a 54-song set list spanning three decades but some things are best left to the imagination. In reality the poor guys wouldn’t make it through my show.

Back
Top Bottom