Whats the point of the large screen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KUEFC09U2 said:
imo the stage is amazing, the stones stage might well have more to it, but theres no way they will match what U2 display on them screens,

and am sorry to say but why is that you only every posts in negative threads? or say negative things about this tour?

just a question dont flame me for asking

I won't flame you, as I find that immature, I will answer this as succinctly as possible.

I started going to concerts when I was about 6 years old, my parents took me to some Beach Boys concerts during which I realized 1. - the guy standing next to me was smoking pot with his hippie girlfriend during Good Vibrations, and 2. - I had a fascination for staging, lighting, and sound. That was 25 years ago.

I always imagined myself being a stage designer on the scale of the Live Aid shows in '85, and I spent hundreds of hours in my basement playing the drums, and constructing various huge stage sets out of legos, and any other things I could get my hands on. My life went a different direction, I studied civil engineering, and now I am an architect. I deal with design every day of my life and am used to critiques and reviews, both positive and negative. I read about stage design, have written about stage design and have followed the careers of both Mark Fisher and Peter “Willie” Williams since the days of the original Pink Floyd tours (= way back.)

In design, critique is a very very important element for success. If you were to simply go out and design something without taking critique in mind, you would not only fail, but be a laughingstock in the community. No one is talented enough to simply go out and do whatever it is they desire – it does not work that way. There are so many different multiple levels of critique in architecture that it is actually amazing anything gets built. Forget about public review and opinion. That is a whole different story.

How is this relevant? Mark Fisher dubbed the term ‘Guerilla Architecture’ during the days of the Stones Steel Wheels tour. This was the tour that was considered the first roving architectural production. Since then, almost all outdoor stadium shows have fallen under this category due to the amount of equipment, staff, and transportation being moved around at any given time. Touring shows on the scale of Vertigo can be considered pieces of moving architecture, and thus place themselves in the public realm. They can be admired, loved, hated, and criticized. Very much like the buildings people look at, these constructs have structural systems, electrical systems, mechanical systems, vertical transportation systems, and sometimes even plumbing and fire protection systems. To a certain extent they can be considered more complicated that a stand alone building because they have to be broken down and fit into a 45 foot tractor trailer (articulated truck to the Europeans) and moved around almost on a nightly basis.

As these things are so complicated, and because so many people get to see these constructs, they are open to criticism. Because the band U2 and more importantly their production team has set such a high standard in their tours, they are open to compliments, and criticism, and that is what I do, and intend to do until either they drop dead or I do. This does not detract from my enjoyment of the show, but you have to always remember – I choose to purchase tickets to a show that the band and management choose to set the price for. By doing this, I have the choice, of showing up or not, loving the show or not, and pretty much having any opinion I want. This website, has always been (and I hope always will be) a place where fans of the band state their opinions, debate their opinions, and have the right to basically say anything they want aside from hateful speech. If I do not like the model of microphone Joe O’Herlihy decides to mic Larry’s second floor tom with, that is fine, if I love the color of the pants Adam is wearing, that is also fine, but what is more important is that if your opinions differ from mine, you know what – that is also fine.

If you do not like what I have to say, you have a couple of options, you can write in the thread your differing opinion, which you often do, you can say you agree with me, or you can simply not read what I write if you truly do not like it that much. The latter is the easiest option for you because as I said before, I will continue to write my opinions here, and I will not stop under any circumstances (aside from the circumstances that violate the rules of this hosted site.) Really, it is your choice.

I hope you start to see my side of some of the arguments I present here, because they are not off the cuff statements, but rather (in my mind at least) opinions that have been backed up by 20+ years of history of this band, history of other bands, and more importantly history of stage architecture, lighting design, and sound design, of which I have done extensive research and can say I have the back-up for a lot of the things I say here.

I can understand your frustration with people saying ‘negative’ things about the band you love, and the tour that you did quite enjoy, but you have to be open to other people’s opinions. If you are not, you might as well simply not read them. As I am starting to see here, people are becoming less annoyed by ‘negative’ comments, and more frustrated with the fact that you cannot be open to someone else’s opinion. I wish this was not the case.

Cool out man – we all love this band, some of us just think they currently are not operating on all cylinders. You never know – the next tour could absolutely blow my mind. I have the faith in the band and the production team to do so. And I will tell you, no matter what they put in front of me, whether it is the band launching into outer space every night, or if it is them standing on cardboard boxes, I will definitely be there, but I will be writing my opinions here the very next day.

I hope you are cool with this, because no matter what I am cool with your reply…

Ever yours,

Ouizy

ouizy said:

I won't flame you, as I find that immature, I will answer this as succinctly as possible.

I started going to concerts when I was about 6 years old, my parents took me to some Beach Boys concerts during which I realized 1. - the guy standing next to me was smoking pot with his hippie girlfriend during Good Vibrations, and 2. - I had a fascination for staging, lighting, and sound. That was 25 years ago.

I always imagined myself being a stage designer on the scale of the Live Aid shows in '85, and I spent hundreds of hours in my basement playing the drums, and constructing various huge stage sets out of legos, and any other things I could get my hands on. My life went a different direction, I studied civil engineering, and now I am an architect. I deal with design every day of my life and am used to critiques and reviews, both positive and negative. I read about stage design, have written about stage design and have followed the careers of both Mark Fisher and Peter “Willie” Williams since the days of the original Pink Floyd tours (= way back.)

In design, critique is a very very important element for success. If you were to simply go out and design something without taking critique in mind, you would not only fail, but be a laughingstock in the community. No one is talented enough to simply go out and do whatever it is they desire – it does not work that way. There are so many different multiple levels of critique in architecture that it is actually amazing anything gets built. Forget about public review and opinion. That is a whole different story.

How is this relevant? Mark Fisher dubbed the term ‘Guerilla Architecture’ during the days of the Stones Steel Wheels tour. This was the tour that was considered the first roving architectural production. Since then, almost all outdoor stadium shows have fallen under this category due to the amount of equipment, staff, and transportation being moved around at any given time. Touring shows on the scale of Vertigo can be considered pieces of moving architecture, and thus place themselves in the public realm. They can be admired, loved, hated, and criticized. Very much like the buildings people look at, these constructs have structural systems, electrical systems, mechanical systems, vertical transportation systems, and sometimes even plumbing and fire protection systems. To a certain extent they can be considered more complicated that a stand alone building because they have to be broken down and fit into a 45 foot tractor trailer (articulated truck to the Europeans) and moved around almost on a nightly basis.

As these things are so complicated, and because so many people get to see these constructs, they are open to criticism. Because the band U2 and more importantly their production team has set such a high standard in their tours, they are open to compliments, and criticism, and that is what I do, and intend to do until either they drop dead or I do. This does not detract from my enjoyment of the show, but you have to always remember – I choose to purchase tickets to a show that the band and management choose to set the price for. By doing this, I have the choice, of showing up or not, loving the show or not, and pretty much having any opinion I want. This website, has always been (and I hope always will be) a place where fans of the band state their opinions, debate their opinions, and have the right to basically say anything they want aside from hateful speech. If I do not like the model of microphone Joe O’Herlihy decides to mic Larry’s second floor tom with, that is fine, if I love the color of the pants Adam is wearing, that is also fine, but what is more important is that if your opinions differ from mine, you know what – that is also fine.

If you do not like what I have to say, you have a couple of options, you can write in the thread your differing opinion, which you often do, you can say you agree with me, or you can simply not read what I write if you truly do not like it that much. The latter is the easiest option for you because as I said before, I will continue to write my opinions here, and I will not stop under any circumstances (aside from the circumstances that violate the rules of this hosted site.) Really, it is your choice.

I hope you start to see my side of some of the arguments I present here, because they are not off the cuff statements, but rather (in my mind at least) opinions that have been backed up by 20+ years of history of this band, history of other bands, and more importantly history of stage architecture, lighting design, and sound design, of which I have done extensive research and can say I have the back-up for a lot of the things I say here.

I can understand your frustration with people saying ‘negative’ things about the band you love, and the tour that you did quite enjoy, but you have to be open to other people’s opinions. If you are not, you might as well simply not read them. As I am starting to see here, people are becoming less annoyed by ‘negative’ comments, and more frustrated with the fact that you cannot be open to someone else’s opinion. I wish this was not the case.

Cool out man – we all love this band, some of us just think they currently are not operating on all cylinders. You never know – the next tour could absolutely blow my mind. I have the faith in the band and the production team to do so. And I will tell you, no matter what they put in front of me, whether it is the band launching into outer space every night, or if it is them standing on cardboard boxes, I will definitely be there, but I will be writing my opinions here the very next day.

I hope you are cool with this, because no matter what I am cool with your reply…

Ever yours,

Ouizy

:bow: :bow: :bow: :up: :bow: :bow: :bow:

ouizy said:

Ever yours,

Ouizy
ok thats cool, i respect your opinion, but what thing DO you like about the tour?

same for you U2man

Ouizy, I use to construct rock n roll stages out of legos too. Also, what is the most impressive stage design you've ever seen?

KUEFC09U2 said:
ok thats cool, i respect your opinion, but what thing DO you like about the tour?

same for you U2man

The truth is KUEFC09U2, I love practically everything about this tour that you haven't heard me complain about. I love the new album, still listening to it on a daily basis, now nearly a year after it was given out, and I love to see people hear and enjoy the new songs live. Bono's voice is better than it has been in many, many years. I loved to see Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria and now Miss Sarajevo being brought back to life. The kids and the girls on stage are always a fun thing to watch. Most of the screen stuff is fine with me, too. And there are several other positive things I could say about it right now, if I had the time.

But please understand, I don't see anything in life 100% perfect or flawless and when you see me complain about something (like for instance the songs you know I often complain about being played too often, the static setlist or the 2xVertigo) don't assume that this means that I hate the entire tour or U2 - because nothing could be further from the truth. People tend to speak about what they are dissatisfied with - and I know I do this more often than I am praising the positive things, but that is just what I have decided to do in here - and in the end I'm the only one to decide that. And I have done so since it should be quite clear to everyone that people in here are supposed to be U2 fans - so what they do not complain about you can pretty much assume that they like. You can, in my case, anyway.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

The truth is KUEFC09U2, I love practically everything about this tour that you haven't heard me complain about. I love the new album, still listening to it on a daily basis, now nearly a year after it was given out, and I love to see people hear and enjoy the new songs live. Bono's voice is better than it has been in many, many years. I loved to see Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria and now Miss Sarajevo being brought back to life. The kids and the girls on stage are always a fun thing to watch. Most of the screen stuff is fine with me, too. And there are several other positive things I could say about it right now, if I had the time.

But please understand, I don't see anything in life 100% perfect or flawless and when you see me complain about something (like for instance the songs you know I often complain about being played too often, the static setlist or the 2xVertigo) don't assume that this means that I hate the entire tour or U2 - because nothing could be further from the truth. People tend to speak about what they are dissatisfied with - and I know I do this more often than I am praising the positive things, but that is just what I have decided to do in here - and in the end I'm the only one to decide that.
you have seen the last couple of days how much i have begun to respect you :)

just needed to know what you liked :)

love ya man

KUEFC09U2 said:
you have seen the last couple of days how much i have begun to respect you :)

just needed to know what you liked :)

love ya man

Once again, thanks :wink:

ouizy said:

Ever yours,

Ouizy

yet another wellconstructed post by Ouizy!!!!
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

zwervers2 said:

yet another wellconstructed post by Ouizy!!!!
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Hi zwervers2, off-topic, but I just wanted to say : glad to see you back on here :) Read about your sitch on the setlist party thread yesterday, hope you're doing better :hug:

This thread (at least the recent discussion about bitch posts) has evolved into quite possibly the best these boards have to offer. Kudos to ouizy, cmb, and KUEF. Giddy-uo! :up:

I think Ouizy deserves the credit for bringing this one to a new level of professionalism and tact. Well played.

eh.....am only doing what people want me to do, people dont like my defensive nature so its obvious i would have to change in order to fit into this forum

KUEFC09U2 said:
eh.....am only doing what people want me to do, people dont like my defensive nature so its obvious i would have to change in order to fit into this forum

This is your best post ever, if you ask me KUEFC09U2. :up: Just ease up a little, give yourself just a little more time to think about whether what this guy or girl writes is really negative enough to demand an immediate defense-reaction - and we would all get along much nicer.

Love you, KUEF ;)

@ ouizy :

Seems we have the same hobby.. I'm not an architect though (web developer, still a bit creative) but I build a lot of scale stages when I was young too... From Voodoo Lounge to Zoo-TV (including the big riser construction, vidiwalls and lighting) made from iron, wood and plastic... I am now planning a Popmart scale model (including moving lights and and minature ropelights)...

Anyway, I have loads of books on stage architecture and even have had a series of mail conversations with Mark Fisher...

Any way to get in contact with you? Share information?

PS : My view on the design of this tour is thumbs down too... Though they use the transparant screen very well (a lot of backlighting), it isn't groundbraking as the shows they did in the past... Sum that up with the arena base stage, the (oldschool) stacked PA with screens on top... It design seems rushed in every way!

Last edited:
the soul waits said:

Hi zwervers2, off-topic, but I just wanted to say : glad to see you back on here :) Read about your sitch on the setlist party thread yesterday, hope you're doing better :hug:

thank you sweetheart!!

yes I am but I still am a bit shaky and it doesn;t take much to get me over the edge again that's for sure. It will take some time..:hug:

I saw the show in Copenhagen. Due to the rain, the clouds and being in a stadium where you are enclosed by pretty high walls all the way around, it was practically dark when U2 entered the stage. Maybe my opinion is being influenced by being in the seats in row 5 (just above crowd level) and could see everything happening on the stage, but I liked the way they used the screen.

Maybe it seemed a bit of a waste that the screen was only used for colored lights in the first part of the show, but the impact when they started using the screen in City Of Blinding Lights was mind-blowing. The effect wouldn't have been the same if they had used that screen from the start. This is not just a matter of hindsight - I could really appreciate it when COBL started.

In a way the structure of the show could be a little bit reminiscent of the concert movie Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. That concert starts with David Byrne entering the stage with just his acoustic guitar. He starts to play Psycho Killer on the acoustic guitar while people are building the stage around him. On the second song the bass player joins, on the third song the drummer and so on. On the sixth song the full band is on stage and the stage has been completed as well. They then launch into a mind-blowing version of Burning Down The House.

Stop Making Sense is one of the best concert movies I have seen. The way they build up the show and the energy is amazing. Seeing the U2 show in Copenhagen worked in much the same way to me. It was great.

Neilz,

I think we did this once before.

I would love to converse - I could tell you a story of tracking down Fisher in his London flat and talking to him before Popmart.

The only thing is that I will not post my email address here. I guess you may be able to get it off of my member profile, or if you want to post yours I will write you there...

ouizy said:
Neilz,

I think we did this once before.

I would love to converse - I could tell you a story of tracking down Fisher in his London flat and talking to him before Popmart.

The only thing is that I will not post my email address here. I guess you may be able to get it off of my member profile, or if you want to post yours I will write you there...
You can email me at [e-mail address removed per Neilz's request]

Let me know if you got my adress so I can delete it here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i just signed ya up for nice porn site Neilz

i hope you like transvestites

Chizip said:
i just signed ya up for nice porn site Neilz

i hope you like transvestites

icon_banned.gif

U2@NYC said:

:grumpy: You're not able to keep anything to yourself on this forum. :grumpy:

I was so near to get the hottest female mod on the planet as my girlfriend. And now you ruined it :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom